Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

American Bulldog under the weather

motormatic
June 24th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hi all! I haven't been here in ages - posted an intro when I adopted Dozer the American Bulldog back in December. Anyway, things are fantastic, he's settled in with us nicely and I can't imagine life without him.

But for the first time since living with us, he's under the weather. He usually poops like clockwork, once on his morning walk and once on his evening walk. The last two days he has not gone on his morning walk, instead has woken us up to go out in the middle of the night with quite unpleasant poop.

He doesn't eat any human food, and nothing in his routine has changed. I am afraid however that he has eaten part of a toy. I've booked him in to see the vet this afternoon, but just thought I'd check in here an see in anyone had any insight. I have him work with me today so I can keep an eye on him and the poor old boy just looks so sad and lethargic, when he is usually a complete ham.

Thanks in advance for any input!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/253942_10150656468585161_593840160_18995066_775927 2_n.jpg

Marty11
June 24th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I never had an issue with this, however from reading past posts, eating a foreign object can be serious. Some folks here have had this happen, I'm sure they will be along soon.....let us know what the vet says.

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Good luck at the vet, motormatic! If he's still poopin', it's likely not a blockage, but he could well have some sort of intestinal bug. Hope the vet can straighten him out! :goodvibes: Keep us posted, pls!

Winston
June 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'd be willing to be an intestinal bug as well! My boy used to get things like that. Vet usually prescribed metronidazole or something similiar? Have you tried to take him off his food and just give rice or beef plain? or maybe even some pure pumpking on his food? yogurt? good luck :thumbs up