Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vacation time when you get a new puppy?

Karsalis
September 28th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Ive been talking to many different breeders and getting mixed messages. Some say that we should stay home the first little while to help the puppy adjust and to train them. Others say donít do that because they get used to us being with them, and when we go to work, they develop severe separation anxiety.

I need some opinions! Id like to get a havanese or bichon and have planned on taking 3 weeks of vacation from mid December to early January to be with a new puppy.

Lucky Rescue
September 28th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I think taking vacation time is a good idea, since you can gradually train the puppy to be left alone in stages,(5 minutes, then 10 etc) instead of bringing it home and walking out the door for 8 hours.

When you go back to work, will you have someone to come in and take the puppy out? At that age, he/she will not be able to hold it all day and this will make housetraining very difficult.

Karsalis
September 28th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah im planning on hiring a service to do "puppy visits".

CarlaD
September 28th, 2004, 01:27 PM
When we got Charlie, I stayed home Friday, we were home Sat Sun and Noah was home on Mon and Tuesday. We couldn't take any more time, but this helped us get him used to the crate in stages, and not all at once.

GsdDiamond
September 28th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I can think of nothing more taumatic for a little puppy than being torn away from it's litter mates and then having nobody around. It sounds like such a lonely existence.

My boss is so understanding that when we got Diamond, I stayed at home for 1/2 days for the first week. She was in her kennel for most of the time, and sometimes was alone in the room, but I was never far off. The other half day, I'd race home every hour and a half to let her out to go potty. (lucky for me I live very close to work)

Eventually she stopped crying for her littermates and started to cry when I left the room. I thought, oh no...seperation anxiety. Not so. She just wanted out of her kennel. Now, at almost 8 months, we put her in her kennel when it's time to leave for work, and there's no fuss or muss.

If you get the chance to spend some time around, but not spoiling, your puppy for the first little while, do it! It'll make him/her more adjusted.

I also heard that the little breeds are more prone to seperation anxiety. If it's true or not, I don't know.

Goldenmom
September 28th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I think its great you can be there for your new addition. However, I would be sure to take frequent trips outside etc...., just so it doesn't get too use to you always being there.

Even when you are at home, give the pup a quiet time in its kennel to get use to it.

Good luck!
Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

mastifflover
September 28th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Good advice Heather. Keep taking time to go out and leave for longer periods. The last thing you want is seperation anxiety I have lived through it not only is it frustrating for you but it breaks your heart to hear them cry or bark.

Mysts38
September 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
If you can, take some time off,to take care of the pup....the idea of leaving for periods of time is a great one,I would also suggest that you put the pup in his kennel for extended periods of time,even if you arent going out,this way he wont associate the kennel with your leaving all the time.

Good luck with your new furbaby! :)

Karsalis
September 29th, 2004, 10:37 AM
These are all great ideas!!

Would you recommend that I drop the puppy off a few days a week when i go to work? I cant afford to do so everyday on a continuous basis, but I dont want them to get too lonely when I work. I also dont want them to get too dependent on daycare either!

glasslass
September 30th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I've been dropping Den-Den off at my mom's on my way to work. The first time, he was upset when I left without him. Now he loves it. He knows I'll be back after work. When I drop him off, he races into Mom's bedroom and gives her kisses. He's not concerned with me leaving at all. Now he settles into her bed with her and Corky and goes back to sleep. :p Mom says he knows when it's time for me to come back. About 5p, he'll sit by her front door, waiting. After the first couple days, he adjusted to the routine and was happy knowing what to expect.

Britishvixen21
September 30th, 2004, 10:14 PM
were having the same dilemna however i was given a really good article by the Humane Society on initiating your dog into you leaving it was really infomative and i think its on there website www.torontohumanesociety.com if not im sure you can find it on the articles section of this website. they advise not to take to much time off of work as the dog gets used to it, however i do agree that its a little confusing for the dog to be pulled from its envioroment into all new surrounding and just being left. i plan to take fri, sat, sun, mon off of work and work on the leaving training over the weekend.

BamaRama
October 1st, 2004, 01:59 AM
LOL.
Employers should really think about granting people 'doggie maternity leave'!!

TalonsMa
October 1st, 2004, 04:38 PM
LOL.
Employers should really think about granting people 'doggie maternity leave'!!

LOL I so agree with you. When I got Solara I asked, you can imagine what they said. BUT they did allow me to bring her to work with me, for the first week. Whcih was great. She loved it here :)

schape
October 6th, 2004, 02:22 PM
When I got Miina, I stayed home with her 5 days before returning to work. Then for the next 2 weeks my boyfriend went to home on his lunch break to take Miina out and play with her but after that she's been home with the cats ~8hrs while we are at work. Fortunately she adapted well and we have never had any problems with separation anxiety or barking. I just wish she would leave my cd's alone :p