Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lily Leaves - Guaranteed ARF (Acute renal failure)?

OtisIsMyCat
June 21st, 2011, 08:10 PM
I hate that I'm in this forum again because the last time I was here was when my cat, Marshall, had experienced ARF after ingesting the lily leaves in my landlady's garden. At that time, I wasn't aware that they were lilies because they hadn't bloomed yet but now I do and do not let my cats out in the garden any longer.

I should also note that they are not outdoor cats. They are indoor cats but I have, although not anymore, let them out on short harnesses just for fresh air. Since Marshall's ARF last year I haven't done that since.

However, they both just escaped through my living room window. It had not been latched completely and the two of them in the sill managed to push the window open and out they jumped.

After retrieving both of them I checked the lily leaves and to my horror there are three that are shredded and have fresh saliva on them. I am extremely stressed out right now. I know Marshall's kidney's are running at 80% since his crash and now I am worried he'll crash on top of being worried Otis will have ARF and the thought of both absolutely terrifies me.

I'm wondering, for those who have experience with ARF, if ingesting a bit of lily leaves is a guaranteed kidney crash? I know the worst part of ARF is vets can't diagnose it until symptoms show because the toxicity wouldn't attack the kidneys this early on - that the wait can take as long as 24 hours before symptoms show.

I just gave Marshall a extra dose of his fluids just in case but I'm not sure if I should be giving Otis some especially since I don't know if he will be infected. I don't think it's good to give fluids to a cat whose kidney's are functioning as normal.

I don't even know what I'm typing at this point - I guess I just need to know if they are guaranteed to have ARF from ingestion.

Thanks, sorry for being all over the place.

mikischo
June 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, many species of lilies are highly toxic to cats and the ingestion of only small amounts can lead to life threatening ARF.

Please call your emergency veterinarian clinic. They will give you instructions on what to do and will likely suggest that you bring him in. To prevent the situation from developing into full blown ARF the usual procedure would be to induce vomiting, administer activated charcoal and give fluids as soon as possible after ingestion. Again, to get detailed information and assistance, please call a veterinarian clinic.

Please keep us updated. :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
June 21st, 2011, 10:16 PM
OIMC if you see this before you see my email, let me know how the boys are doing

:grouphug: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
June 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
To give a wee update OIMC emailed me this morning, both boys were taken to the vet right away last night given fluids & activated charcoal and both are doing well today.

Lets keep :fingerscr & send :goodvibes: that there will be no damage.

mikischo
June 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the update, Growler. Glad to hear the boys were taken in last night and are doing well.:thumbs up

OIMC, sending :goodvibes: for Otis and Marshall.

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2011, 10:59 PM
Thank dawg they're doing well! Sending some :goodvibes: from here, too, OIMC!

chico2
June 23rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Thank's Growler,hopefully they'll recover completely:pray: