Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Noroclav 125 mg tablets

blondie88
June 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this drug, my cat got a de claw surgery and has an infection and is on this medication.

im not sure what the symptoms are and i am a little worried i have tried to look online but it only says for dogs which i do no some syptoms are the same but every animal is different.

anyones help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

RUSTYcat
June 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Hi blondie88 and welcome to Pets,ca !

First, I want to give you a little "heads up".....part of what you are dealing with is a very red hot issue on all pet discussion forums, and often brings some very nasty comments from other people (maybe you already know this, but, if not, at least you'll be prepared in case it occurs...hopefully we can avoid it). The fact is that most people these days are totally opposed to "declawing".

What's done is done.....the most important thing now is for people here to help you get the best possible treatment for your kitty so that she recovers to the best of her ability and suffers the least from what has happened.

First, your questions about Noroclav - Noroclav is, in fact, approved for cats in Canada...you can read about it here http://www.drugs.com/vet/noroclav-tablets-62-5-mg-can.html CATS: The recommended oral dosage of amoxicillin/clavulanic acid is 62.5 mg per animal twice daily.

Skin and soft tissue infections such as abscesses and cellulitis/dermatitis should be treated for 5 to 7 days. Continue administration for 48 hours after all signs have subsided. If no response is seen after 3 days of treatment, therapy should be discontinued and the case reevaluated. Urinary tract infections may require treatment for 10 to 14 days or longer. The maximum duration of treatment should not exceed 30 days.

I highlighted what you need to watch for to see if the antibiotic is working, You didn't say when you started giving the Noroclav, nor when/if your Vet will see kitty again...but it's very important that she is re-examined shortly to ensure the infection is clearing.

...im not sure what the symptoms are and i am a little worried
What "symptoms" are you talking about? Plain and simple, what wrong, what are you worried about and why?

It's also extremely important that she is receiving a pain med - AND that she gets a SAFE pain control med. What can you tell us about that?

Here are some questions to help you fill in the details we need to help you:
- How old is kitty?
- When was the operation?
- Is your Vet clinic a cat-only place?
- Do you have a follow-up appointment? When?
- What meds has kitty received so far?
- Is kitty using the litter box?

Let us know about all this - the more detail you can write down, the better.

I'M HOPING THAT PEOPLE ON HERE CAN BE POSITIVE AND SUPPORTIVE - after all, this is all about the kitty...not about our feelings on what's happened.

blondie88
June 22nd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Thank you for the reply as well i do know that this is a touchy subject to most people (for the record i am one of the people that are against declaws) however i did not have a choice i tried everything in the book to prevent this from happening and nothing worked.

to answer your questions my cat will be 3 in November he has never been on any other meds before i started the noroclav on June 21 however he was vomiting and had a fever after the first pill.....the operation was a week ago he was at the clinic for 14 hours and then was released into my possession.....first off i am going to school for a veterinary technician in the fall and past events that have had this surgery there animals were in the clinic for close to 48 hours....My vet is not a cat only vet however the vet that performed the surgery is apparently cat only (i am not impressed with him at the moment) he did not give any pain medication to my cat.

The cat does not use the litter box he is unable to walk or climb into the box once i seen this happen I had booked a emergency follow up appointment with a different vet today and the cat has been hospitilized do to massive infection they are still keeping him on the noroclav but im not sure what to do.

This issues that i have been having with my vet have been never ending but that is a different story.

Now the main issue that i am having is that website states the recommended dose is 62.5mg however they have him on 125mg which i find is a little high but i dont know much about this medication.

I appoligize if i have affended anyone

Thanks for the help

RUSTYcat
June 23rd, 2011, 02:16 AM
Your story has left me almost speechless.

Most certainly your cat has been in excruciating pain since the surgery. It's beyond belief that ANY Veterinarian in this day and age could practice in this manner - and you say that he may be a "cat-only" Vet? This is no Veterinary Practice - it's a house of horrors.

Is there a cat-only Veterinary CLINIC anywhere near where you live? Would you be able to (could you afford) to take your cat to such a place?

You need to take control of all of this immediately, either by removing your cat to a competent Veterinarian's care, or by confronting the owner of the place where all this has occurred - I'm presuming that this is where the cat is at present (I found your last post confusing on this point). It sounds like you feel you have no control...BUT - THEY have screwed up big time...they know it...and you can take control by letting them know that you know this.

*your cat should have been hospitalized for a minimum of 2 days
*cat should have had pain control for at least a week
*cat should have been on antibiotics after the procedure
*a re-exam within a few days should have been scheduled
*you should have received detailed aftercare instructions

One point about pain medication. Make sure your cat does not get any form of meloxicam (Metacam is one popular trade name). Insist on something else. Let me know if you want to know why I say this.

You say that the cat has not used the litterbox in six days? Has he urinated at all? If not, this absolutely must be addressed immediately. If he has not had a bowel movement, this needs to be checked as well, as the stool might well be impacted by now.

The antibiotic double dose? I don't know if it would be problematic...there are no cautions about exceeding standard dosages (some a/b have same) - it may be appropriate. I suggest you bring this to their attention as well - ask them specifically if they know that the standard dosage is only 52.5mg twice daily. So you know, many a/b's cause loose stool.

For your ltterbox, I suggest you get a large cardboard box, cut out a "door"/entry space, leaving a very low lip - maybe an inch - at the bottom, making it easy for him to go in. There's a litter called Yesterdays News, made of newspaper - much easier on his feet - which I've seen recommended for post-declaws. (I guess you could make your own, too) I would sprinkle some of the litter from your original box over the paper - just enough for him to smell and "recognize" the new box.

One final note for now. Just based on what you've written, I think you have very solid cause to lay a formal complaint with the local Veterinary authority once the immediate problems have been resolved. If you have any spare time, start writing down a nitty-gritty detailed journal of everything that has occurred. Something that might help you could be to imagine that a friend was following you with a video camera every step of that journey...then, imagine yourself watching that video. Write down everything you would see. Meantime, the complaint itself can wait.

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2011, 07:49 AM
Thank you for the reply as well i do know that this is a touchy subject to most people (for the record i am one of the people that are against declaws) however i did not have a choice i tried everything in the book to prevent this from happening and nothing worked.

I know it's too late for your kitty, but I am confused as to why you couldn't prevent it?

chico2
June 23rd, 2011, 08:10 AM
I hope this poor kitty recovers and get proper help,I was not able to read his symptoms,makes me feel ill:(
It cannot be undone,but he needs another vet yesterday,even an emergency vet-hospital he must be in horrible pain:pray:for the kitty.

RUSTYcat
June 23rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
Folks-
Again, I'm hoping that the FOCUS of our responses to the OP will be THE RECOVERY of this little cat......NOT on pre-operative circumstances. I'M HOPING THAT PEOPLE ON HERE CAN BE POSITIVE AND SUPPORTIVE - after all, this is all about the kitty...not about our feelings on what's happened. Anyone who still doesn't understand my meaning should feel free to PM me.

blondie88 - the only other suggestion I thought of overnight has to do with your preparation of a small, confined space where you can keep him once he comes home - litter, beds, food and water available, with the litter box and food each at opposite "ends" of the space. If you can manage it, the space shouldn't have any high "perches" - he should not be in any pain by then and so will need to be restricted from jumping/climbing.

Maybe other people will have additional suggestions.

I was also thinking about the double-strength dosing of the a/b...Noroclav is the combination of amoxicillin and Clavamox. There is no dosing caution on plain Clavamox either - and, in human medecine terms, I know that the doubling dosage of amoxicillin (500mg vs 250) is common. I'm only going on about this to ease your anxiety a little until you can raise it with a Vet - I certainly can't pronounce on it.

I was also wondering if he was eating/drinking after the surgery - and how much.

Keep us posted please.

marko
June 23rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
Again, I'm hoping that the FOCUS of our responses to the OP will be THE RECOVERY of this little cat......NOT on pre-operative circumstances.

+1 let's keep this thread on track please!
Thx - Marko

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
This cat needs to be at a qualified vet and needs to stay there until fully recovered. Why is the OP on a pet site where there is nobody besides Dr Lee who is qualified enough to give medical info as far as this pain medication is concerned? No one but the vet who is seeing this cat should be giving medical info about course of treatment.
I will :pray: for you little kitty. :fingerscr for a full recovery.

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
This cat needs to be at a qualified vet and needs to stay there until fully recovered. Why is the OP on a pet site where there is nobody besides Dr Lee who is qualified enough to give medical info as far as this pain medication is concerned? No one but the vet who is seeing this cat should be giving medical info about course of treatment.
I will :pray: for you little kitty. :fingerscr for a full recovery.

I so agree.

:grouphug: and :goodvibes: for the kitty.

blondie88
June 23rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
thank you everyone for your responses a quick update on the kitty yesterday he was taken to MY vet as requested by me he had blood work done had to have sub q fluids and feet soaked my vet is upset with this but i am still worried.

I called my vet this morning and he informed me that the blood work is fine and that his paws are looking better but still infected he is still on the noroclav and he said he was given pain meds (did not say what kind he is on...which is a red flag) however they informed me that he is able to come home tomorrow although it has not even been 24hours since i dropped him off.

They are no longer bandageing his feet they just have him in a kennel with a e-collar on so he doesnt scratch or bite at his feet. They did inform me that he is using the litter box provided however still has not made a bowel movement this is going on 4 days with no bowel movement....they have checked him over with a physical exam and they say they can not feel and fecal matter which still confuses me.

I cleaned a spare room for him with litter box, food, water however they are telling me to leave him in a crate and let him out at meal times....is it just me or is that wrong?

I did some research in the area for a cat clinic and there is none i did find a cat vet about 30 min from where i am living but they will not see my animal...the reason they give me is due to where the cat is registered they do not take clients from that clinic although i begged for them to see my cat.

So in conclusion to this post one question for all of you should i bring my cat home tomorrow or should i demand him to stay a few more days due to the fact that he has only been there for 24 hours.....i do miss him alot but i want to make sure that he is taken care of.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
IMHO, a cat who does not need IV or constant, regular monitoring by a vet/vet tech, is better off at home. The cat is less stressed and will heal much faster. Will you be home to monitor him for the next few days?

mikischo
June 23rd, 2011, 02:34 PM
I called my vet this morning and he informed me that the blood work is fine and that his paws are looking better but still infected he is still on the noroclav and he said he was given pain meds (did not say what kind he is on...which is a red flag) however they informed me that he is able to come home tomorrow although it has not even been 24hours since i dropped him off.

You have a right to know what kind of medications they are giving him and the vet should have answered your question about the pain meds. The paper you receive when they discharge him should list every medication he received during his stay.

They are no longer bandageing his feet they just have him in a kennel with a e-collar on so he doesnt scratch or bite at his feet. They did inform me that he is using the litter box provided however still has not made a bowel movement this is going on 4 days with no bowel movement....they have checked him over with a physical exam and they say they can not feel and fecal matter which still confuses me.

How well has he been eating and drinking? I would also be concerned about the lack of bowel movements. If he has not had a bowel movement for four days and they cannot feel any fecal matter that would lead me to believe that he has been eating very little. Even healthy cats can become very ill if they are not eating and drinking adequately and, because he is recuperating from extensive surgery and fighting a serious infection, it is doubly important that he is eating and drinking well. IMO this is something that can be best monitored by you at home. If he is turning up his nose at his regular food you could try enticing him with other tasty things that he likes (chicken, perhaps a more smelly food like Fancy Feast, whatever it takes to get him to eat). Also you will be able to monitor that he is urinating and starting to have regular bowel movements and consult the vet if this is not happening.

I cleaned a spare room for him with litter box, food, water however they are telling me to leave him in a crate and let him out at meal times....is it just me or is that wrong?

If he is still having a lot of difficulty moving, I don't think a large crate would be a bad idea at least for the first couple of days if you have or can borrow one. However, if your spare room is not very large and is free from places where he would try to jump or climb as Rustycat suggested it might be alright to skip the crate. He'll likely still need the e collar for a few more days. It is my understanding that movement and exercise needs to be restricted for the first few weeks after this type of surgery even when there are no complications. Also declawing is the most common cause of litterbox avoidance because cats will often start to associate use of the litterbox with pain. If you have not already done so please get a litter that is kinder to his feet such as Yesterdays News as suggested by Rustycat.

So in conclusion to this post one question for all of you should i bring my cat home tomorrow or should i demand him to stay a few more days due to the fact that he has only been there for 24 hours.....i do miss him alot but i want to make sure that he is taken care of.

Depending on how he is tomorrow (I'm assuming that he is able to get around a little now). Only you can decide what you are able to do but if the vet hospital is doing nothing more than monitoring him and giving him oral medications then IMO he is likely better off at home with you where you can do the same plus likely do a better job of ensuring that he is eating and drinking adequately. Hopefully you will be able to be home with him a lot with the weekend coming. As I said the lack of bowel movements is concerning. I would inquire again about that before he is released and watch this carefully once he is home. Hopefully he will have one before he is released to you.:fingerscr I'm sure you know that it is very important that he takes all prescribed antibiotics until they are finished even if he appears to be better and to take him back if there is any indication that the infection is not completely gone.

:goodvibes: that he is feeling better soon and please keep us updated on how things are going.

chico2
June 23rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
I honestly think nobody was out of line responding to this OP and her poor cat,all we want is for him to recover and not be in pain anymore:pray:
It's true,never in a million years would I declaw a cat and this little cat is an exemple why.
Not everyone is informed properly by their vet what this procedure entails and it's very unfortunate.

As for bringing him home,I probably would,since the vet seems not to care too much and hopefully the kitty will do better in his own home:pray:

Tundra_Queen
June 24th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Hi

I would ask what they are using to bath his paws and see if u can get some to keep bathing them at home. Make sure he is no longer dehydrated cause maybe he'll need to have an iv for another day or so?

I would keep him in a crate if it's a large one for a few more days or in a room as long as he won't jump up or down on things, like the other poster said. The shock of that on his amputated toes would be very painful and open up the wounds.

Make sure they give u pain pills to give him and enough antibiotics too.

I hope he will start to recover very soon.

Just remember this situation if u ever get another cat, or if someone asks your opinion about declawing.

But we aren't vets and shouldn't be giving out medical advice. Write your questions down and take them to your vet's and ask them. It's always best to write things down so when your upset you won't forget what u wanted to ask. U might want to write the answers down too if u think you'll forget them.

I hope your kitty will be fully recovered soon. *S*

blondie88
June 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hello all,

Update on the kitty i went to the vet this morning to pick him up they said that he is eating and drinking fine and that he is ready to come home...when i got there the vet was not in and the technician told me that he does not need pain medication and gave back the noroclav....they informed me that the dosage of 125mg is meant for his wait and that the medication is working great.

On the way home he decided to go to the bathroom in his carrier which made him scratch all over the kennel and once again re-open his incision i got home as soon as i could i called the clinic and the technician told me that they have been soaking his feet twice a day with surgical scrub and warm water....i informed that i do not have surgical scrub and where i can buy some they informed me that i cannot buy them at a local store and to come back to the clinic to get some (keep in mind that the clinic is 45 min from my house) i informed them i am unable to drive back and they told me to use sunlight soap.....does anyone on here know of a store that may sell surgical scrub???

So i soaked his feet and got the blood stopped he is now locked in my bathroom due to tiled floor I called the clinic once again to inform them that the blood has stopped and what should i do to keep him from bleeding they informed me not to bandage the feet and let them air dry.....they informed me not to keep him in a kennel due to the chance of scratching at the bars...what do you think should i bandage them when i am not home to prevent bleeding or should i leave him in the bathroom.

Also the vet informed that there is a spray that you can get that is bitter apple and he strongly recommends it i looked up the ingredients for it and it states that the spray is alcohol based.....I chose not to purchase the spray because i do not want to put him through pain do you think i made the right decision on the spray?

Thanks for all the help and concerns we both appreciate it :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
June 24th, 2011, 02:03 PM
the technician told me that he does not need pain medication

This is barbaric and cruel. It's well known that an onychectomy is just about the most painful procedure you can perform on a cat. Pain meds are actually tested on these cases to determine their efficacy. If this were my cat (besides not having done this in the first place), I would march back to the clinic or find another one and demand at the very least a Fentanyl pain patch, as well as some Buprenex until the patch kicks in. That vet tech should suffer the amputation of all her fingers and then decide if pain meds aren't necessary. I really hope you will be better at your job than she is.

I chose not to purchase the spray because i do not want to put him through pain do you think i made the right decision on the spray?

Yes.

Love4himies
June 24th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Please, please, please take this cat back to another vet clinic, this is just horribly cruel.

Try to imagine the pain of having YOUR fingers cut off with no pain meds, that in human terms is called cruel and unusual punishment or torture. What is wrong with this vet clinic :wall:

blondie88
June 24th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Oh trust me i am taking this experience to the next level i will make sure that i do a better job i am getting peed off with all the clinics around here i will be travelling to where im from next week and i will be taking it to a cat specialist because they are just as mad as i am.

I have documented everything that has happened since the surgery and will be going after the clinic once my cat is all better i am devoting all my time to making him feel better and then i will be confronting the veterinary assosiation about the mal practise they have been doing i have been doing alot of research on this particular surgery and they will not get away with how they treated both my cat and myself.

I feel mostly as responsible to the pain the cat is going through and it will never happen again to either me or any of my animals. Due to my situation right now I had no choice but i will make sure that i am not in this situation in the future.

Question for all of you is it better to call the veterinary association or go in person my research shows to approach the OVC in guelph, on for situations like this does anyone have any different information?

mikischo
June 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm sure you completely agree that your primary focus right now must be to help your kitty get through this.:grouphug: Any action through the OVC or veterinarian association will come later when your kitty is better.

I really hope you will be able to spend as much time as possible with your kitty for the next few days.:pray: Your kitty really needs you now. I would even be setting something up and sleeping in whatever room he is in for the next few days.

I agree with SCM about getting a Fentanyl pain patch. Any veterinarian clinic should be able to supply you with one. Are there any clinics closer to you or is the one you were going to the closest? Cats are notorious for hiding pain and your vet has no way of knowing how much pain he is in. Many people are not aware that, until 1989, veterinarians trained in the U.S. and likely Canada as well were actually taught in veterinarian school to ignore pain in animals.:wall:

As for the surgical scrub, I don't believe there is any place other than a veterinarian clinic that you could get what they use for animals and I don't know of any safe or suitable substitute. I would get on the phone and demand to speak to a veterinarian, not an assistant, with any questions you have regarding these things. With the weekend approaching time is running out to be able to easily find a veterinarian to speak to.

Many people on here are concerned. Please continue to keep us updated.:goodvibes:

chico2
June 24th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Yes please,get this kitty some pain-meds,demand it!!
I am sitting here,don't know you or your cat,but am really upset and worried.
This inhumane vet has to give you all you need to help your cat,if not this vet,then any other vet who I am sure will show more compassion towards a cat in terrible pain.

Tundra_Queen
June 24th, 2011, 06:06 PM
OMG please get your kitty some pain meds...find an emergency vet and just drive there. Your kitty needs help....:(