Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Jumping?

Kiwi'sBuddy
June 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Hi I have a female 4 and a half month old lab/beagle/dachshund/ named Kiwi that keeps jumping on people and clinging on to their legs. Is there any way that i can stop her from doing this? Thanks.

luckypenny
June 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM
There sure is an easy way and that's by teaching her an alternate, competing behavior. If she's busy doing something else positive, she can't jump at the same time :). Make sure to be consistent each and every time to see quicker results. You'll find this video very helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_OKgQFgzw

Kiwi'sBuddy
June 20th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks, that should work well :)

Dee-O-Gee
June 20th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Our Mollie loved to jump up on people whenever they walked in the front door. What we found positive was when she started her climb, one of us would step in front of her and raise a knee.

There's no kicking or throwing just bending the knee up. It would settle her down and if she pursued it again, the knee came back up. After a few incidents and the knee in place, the behaviour subsided to the point of non-existence. :thumbs up

Kiwi'sBuddy
June 20th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks! I'll try that too. :D

Claudia36oh
June 20th, 2011, 11:19 PM
The knee does work great :D

Mellafabulous
June 21st, 2011, 06:56 AM
An alternative to the knee, since it can be easily done incorrectly, is to just take a step forward, into the dog's space... it throws them off, and they'll back up. Another good rule is to have guests ignore the dog when they come in, for a five or ten minute period. (You may have to let friends know ahead of time, or post a note on the outside of the door.)

You can practise greeting people by getting someone who your dog likes to jump on, come to your house and enter, and have them step into the dog's space. Do it randomly, over several days.