Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fire alarms and dogs!

raingirl
September 28th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Last night we got very rudely awakened by our building's fire alarm. Probably some stupid kid pulled it. Either way, it was ringing for a good 10 minutes before they were able to determine there was no fire and were able to turn it off.

It was the loudest, most annoying fire alarm I have ever heard!!! It was a loud buzzing sound that made me feel like my brain was going to explode!!!

When I get a dog, I'm worried this sound will freak him out. What should I do in a situation like this? Should I try and cover the dogs ears? I figured, I might as well ask now or I will forget!!

Thanks

sammiec
September 28th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Usually it happens in the middle of the night and your fast asleep right? ;) I know, I get it alot too. We just close the bedroom door and she's fine. It's not quite as tramatic to her as it is for Connor (the cat) he meows and cries when he hears it. Briggs, she doesn't care.... don't worry.
:)

iRONKNiGHT
September 28th, 2004, 08:54 AM
I know i'd cover my little baby's ears, comfort her and let her know it's allright.. i mean if i was in that situation..

Sheriffmom
September 29th, 2004, 05:22 PM
I think it depends on the puppy. My dog is fine with loud annoying noises. He used to come to work with me when he was a puppy, (I am a paramedic), and he had no problems with the loud alarms. He is however afraid of fireworks, and I have to cuddle and reassure him anytime those things boom. He's not afraid of thunder though!!???? He is afraid of dinner plates (don't ask me why), you'd think he'd been beaten by one (hopefully you all know he's never been beaten by anything....ever!!). And it's not the noise either, because all you have to do is pull a dinner plate out of the cupboard and he's off like a shot.... silly dog!!
I think when you get your dog, you'll soon learn what is okay with him/her and what isn't. They'll let you know quite planely what makes them afraid, and what doesn't!!

lil_kirk
September 29th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Thank you for asking this question. I've been wondering about this myself--it'd be the same thing only worse when you are away at work. Our apartment building has a lot of fire alarms during the day--but the alarm doesn't sound in the bedroom---so we may end up leaving our new pup (when we get one) into the bedroom while we are away---set her up in a play pen of sorts with all the toys and accessories needed to occupy her mind!!

wAggie
September 30th, 2004, 11:22 PM
this actually happened yesterday! ... or was it the day before..? :o

Anyways, my bf was testing out the fire alarm and the dogs INSTANTLY became HIGHLY alert.

they both ran to us, stopped and stared awaiting out reactions.

I looked down at them and said "good, good girl, good boy." followed w a "mommy love u" (my typical phrase :D ) to ensure calmness.

I hope this helped them know that they should see me if such a noise arose again....

however, the odd time a fire alarm went off when we lived in the apt, Choco would run to the door anxiously, but soon nuff he got used to it (they did a lot of "testing" in that building :rolleyes: Honey didn't live w us yet)