Just curious how someone opens a rescue? Just curious :D

Per say ; in ontario ?

marko
June 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
This petfinder link may help you.

http://www.petfinder.com/how-to-help-pets/start-animal-shelter.html

Melinda
June 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM
you could also join one in Ottawa, there are two great ones I can think of off hand, Hopeful hearts and BARK, both are always looking for foster homes and volunteers.

BenMax
June 20th, 2011, 03:31 PM
First step would be to volunteer and be mentored by a group before considering to start a rescue.
Apply for a non charitable status.
Set up your board of directors.
Get a known vet to help provide you with lower vetting costs.
Get acquainted with groomers and see if they will help with lower grooming expenses.
Get to know your local food chain outlet stores to see if they will support you with food donations.
You will need a start up sum of money for medical reasons. Canvas friends and family to see if they will donate to help get it off the ground.
Canvas good people who will be foster homes for your animals.
Get acquainted with other rescue groups around you.
Speak with shelters and pounds to see if they will consider you for rescue animals.

There are many more things you must do, but consulting with a trusted rescue they may be able to help you for success.

Best of luck to you.

14+kitties
June 20th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Starting a non profit organization can be a daunting business. If you are not in it for the long haul then don't even consider it. There would be too many animals' lives at risk.
The link given earlier is for the States. The rules are a tad bit different in Ontario. Here are some sites that may help...........

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/rural/facts/88-017.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Not-For-Profit-Organization-in-Ontario,-Canada

http://www.hurwitassociates.com/l_p_initial_on.php

http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/guide/1282/

Hope that helps a little.

Green
June 27th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Someone mentioned dogs, but there are informal cat rescue groups in Ottawa and the surrounding area. One is the Cat Rescue Network (a dot com url).
I have been researching the no kill movement in the USA, but we don't seem to have anything going in Canada. Excellent groups are adopting no kill approaches, but they are sadly few and far between. And some are not truly no kill, even if they say they are.
I am very frustrated, like many, that the vast majority of pounds, SPCAs and Humane Societies in Canada do not reveal the euthanasia rates. As a volunteer and donor, I was duped when I was told they provide care for every 'adoptable' animal. Well, their definition of adoptable is different than the average person's. My vision is to mobilize the Canadian public to cease donating to groups that are not fully transparent with their intake and death rates. Money talks. This is nothing personal against shelters, but they are not investing their resources the most effectively way, as described in Nathan Winograd's "Redemption: The Myth of Pet Overpopulation and the no kill revolution in America". [I have to say, the tone of the book was off-putting. It is like jabbing a hot poker into somebody instead of trying to embrace shelters where they are at and helping them take steps to move forward]. The section of the book that applies best to Canada is the No Kill Manifesto which could easily be adapted for Canada. While rescue is 100% important, I think it is equally urgent to have a publicly embraced no kill movement in Canada. I don't know if I could be in it for the long haul, but I'd be happy to start it going if we can get 6-12 people ready to launch a Canadian Manifesto that respects donors and most importantly, the lives of animals.:ca:

Melinda
June 28th, 2011, 05:39 AM
and if you withold donations, more programs are shut down, and if you withold
volunteer hours , more animals do without and the euthanasia rate goes up....your choice.

BenMax
June 28th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Green, I have volunteered and continue to volunteer for 2 no-kill shelters. I can attest that no-kill means exactly that. The ONLY time a no-kill shelter must euthanize is if an animal has no hope of survival. I know of 2 cases where everything possible was done for 2 cats, tons of money dumped into them, and in the end there was no hope of saving them. In my opinion, they should have been euthanized and that money put into other animals. But that is just me..

Also, no kill shelters are literally STUCK with dogs with severe behavioural issues. These dogs should be euthanized as they will never find homes. So no-kill in this instance is just that. Again I think that they should not always have to live by their no kill policy. These dogs are taking the room of others that are wonderful and could definately find loving homes. Again..my 2 cents.

I also network for rescues for a shelter that does euthanize. However, they do their very best to seek out rescues to take in their cats and dogs before this alternative. With that said, any animal with aggression will be put down. I personally have no problem with that whatsoever.

Holding back donations will not solve the problem of full disclosure when it comes to the euthanasia rate. If people stop donating, animals will die. Who wants that?

I believe that shelters are doing the best they can. I am a nosey person and I get my answers whether I want to hear it or not. If people were to get more involved in their local shelters, demand answers, you will get it. Most people are very quick to point fingers yet they do nothing to find out what is going on behind the scenes.

If people are worried about how shelters are run and they have doubts, then get on the board of directors to change things. You would be surprised as to what shelters face. Looks easy from the outside but it's something totally different when you are in the trenches. Been there, and done that.

Golden Girls
June 30th, 2011, 08:57 AM
and if you withold donations, more programs are shut down, and if you withold
volunteer hours , more animals do without and the euthanasia rate goes up....your choice.I agree Melinda