Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What are some of the signs of a blockage

Claudia36oh
June 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM
in a dog, my Chewie is the dog with the iron stomach, he eats anything he can get a hold of and usually it comes out the next day.

Last night he started vomiting quite a large amount, he done this three times and then he was happy Chewie again.

Today he ate and drank well today, but he only went to the bathroom once and it was a very small amount, that was at around 11 am, nothing since. The norm for him is 3 times a day

Should I be worried, he ate his food today, shouldn't there be at least one good bowl movement?

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Do you think he might have eaten something and is having trouble passing it? Some symptoms of blockage would be lethargy, sitting hunched over in pain, vomiting or straining to dry heave and not poopin' at all or only small amounts.

When he threw up last night, did he throw up food? If it was food, then he really didn't have much to eat yesterday, which would explain the less than normal number of poops today. If he's energetic and playful and still has an appetite, then it's probably okay to wait a bit and see how he does. If he's not poopin' normally tomorrow, loses his appetite again, or the vomiting comes back, he'll need to see a vet, and sooner rather than later.

Claudia36oh
June 17th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Do you think he might have eaten something and is having trouble passing it? Some symptoms of blockage would be lethargy, sitting hunched over in pain, vomiting or straining to dry heave and not poopin' at all or only small amounts.

When he threw up last night, did he throw up food? If it was food, then he really didn't have much to eat yesterday, which would explain the less than normal number of poops today. If he's energetic and playful and still has an appetite, then it's probably okay to wait a bit and see how he does. If he's not poopin' normally tomorrow, loses his appetite again, or the vomiting comes back, he'll need to see a vet, and sooner rather than later.

Thanks Hazel, he threw up a huge amount of undigested food, it's very possible that he ate something, he is very sneaky..the last time he did this he threw up a men's sock:shrug:, he has ate and pooped a cell phone, my company pager, toys, plastic bags and other things I can't mention on here..lol

I will keep an eye on him, he ate and drank normal today and was playful on our walk, don't know what to do with this boy, he is worse then a child.

I do have my house child/chewie proofed but once in a while he will find something to inhale.

Maybe he didn't poop a lot today because all the food came out last night, my vet is open in the morning and on call all weekend so I'm covered there..Thanks

growler~GateKeeper
June 17th, 2011, 11:52 PM
:fingerscr if he did eat something he threw it up already :goodvibes:

So is this the reason his name is Chewie or is he just living up to it? :D Silly dogs :dog:

Claudia36oh
June 18th, 2011, 01:07 AM
:fingerscr if he did eat something he threw it up already :goodvibes:

So is this the reason his name is Chewie or is he just living up to it? :D Silly dogs :dog:

lol..he is living up to his name, he came with the name chewie :D

marko
June 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I would be keeping a VERY close eye on his. Obstructions are always serious and can be total or partial.

Any subtle change in behaviour (like resting in a weird way/place) could also be a sign - so please be hyper-vigilant. :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
June 18th, 2011, 10:07 AM
How's he doing this morning, Claudia? :goodvibes:

Claudia36oh
June 18th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I'm happy to report he is back to completely normal, two very nice poops and he is acting fine :thumbs up, this dog is giving me gray hairs...lol

Will still keep an eye on his for a few more days :goodvibes: