Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grrrrrrr....I just get through a great vet visit...and ....

krdahmer
September 28th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Whammo! There are those familiar rice/sesame seeds around Buddy's little cutie bum! Crappiolla!!! Literally!!!!! :(
Will call to the vet tomorrow, Smoke had them a while back so I know just what it is...stinkin' tapeworms!!!! The nerve of those things showing up here again!!!! :mad: OH... IT'S ON!!!!

Infest my cats will ya? I'll show them!!!

:cool: Asta La Vista Wormie!

Sneaky2006
September 28th, 2004, 01:04 AM
That blows!! :(

iRONKNiGHT
September 28th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Sorry to hear.... it really does damper...well you know what too do :)

krdahmer
September 28th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Ya called the vet today...she says because I took care of the flea problem already and I haven't seen any on any other cat that I can get away with only treating Buddy...which is good news for my pocketbook! :rolleyes:
Of course I haven't told Chase yet that Buddy is costing us yet more money...cause he takes news like that oh so well! But he ultimately loves the little guy and will fork over the dough!!! :)

And a funny story, Chase always prides himself on his burly exterior and the fact that most people are instantly intimidated by him...makes him feel manly or something. Then the other night we were at our grocery store at the checkout and he was making one of his tough and snarly comments about me wasting his money on stray cats (he actually supports me and doesn't mind) and the cashier turns to him and says "oh you're not fooling us...you're nothing but a big teddy bear"!!! The look on his face was so precious!!! He looked so hurt! I couldn't help but laugh... cause when he's acting tough I always tell him he's not fooling me....and apparently he couldn't fool that cashier either! :D

chico2
September 28th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Dahmer,that's sooo cute,give Chase a big huggie :D
To bad about Buddy,now I am going to have to check out my kitties poop,for rice :eek: They've never had worms,how do they get them?

krdahmer
September 28th, 2004, 11:39 PM
I actually wish I didn't know....but here goes...as explained by the vet...

They get the worms by eating a flea/ mouse etc that has eaten a tapeworm egg. Once the tapeworm is in their belly it grabs hold and starts the cycle again by releasing 'muscle' (thats why sometimes it looks like they are moving...cause they are) sacs (the rice looking things) which are full of more eggs for the fleas to eat and pass back to your pet or other pets.

If your pet has them you will most likely see the dried up rice like thingys where they sleep or on your carpets, and where I always seem to notice them...around their little bums.

To treat them, take care of the fleas/ stop the animal from having contact with mice etc... and see the vet for some medication (which I get to do tomorrow). The tapeworm is not usually harmful to the host, so there may be no visible signs at all if you don't catch a glimpse of the egg sac. The animal usually eats and acts normally, although you may notice loose stools.

And now that my clinical duty is over with....

EW EW EW EW EW EW They look like little tiny maggots hanging on to his bum!!!! :eek: EW EW EW EW EW EW

Bugsy
September 28th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I have to remember never to snack as I'm reading some of these posts. :p
So if I understood correctly...If pets get fleas...they could get tapeworms :eek: Ew Ew....

krdahmer
September 29th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Exactly...when your pet has fleas the bites are the least of your worries....those disgusting little buggers carry all sorts of goodies for your pets! Worms, parasites....yick! Thats why it is so important to treat them properly asap...and did you know that fleas can be fatal to a kitten. The kittens are too small and may not be able make up the blood that the fleas are drinking fast enough to keep them from getting seriously ill.
Fleas are a serious problem! Thats why the more I found out about them, the more it became war between me and them!!! :cool:
I treated the kittens, my cats just in case, the house, the cars, the linens...and am happy to say it looks like I have won this battle!!!
(Well except for the tag alongs on Buddy's butt :rolleyes: ...but some pills should get rid of that pesky tapeworm too soon enough!)

Bugsy
September 29th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Ok..this is a little frighting....

I learn something new on pets.ca everday (hey that rhymes)

Damn little buggers :mad:

chico2
September 29th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Thank's Dahmer,I had a HUGE flea-problem many years ago,I had a collie-mix,a ****erspaniel and one cat.This is pre Advantage and other easier remedies. It was cheer hell,trying to rid a collie-mix,with all that hair of fleas :mad:
She was full of sores and treated with meds,we had to leave the house and have someone spray the house,cheer horror!!
Now with my cats,I am extremly careful,I've been told Advantage might not be that safe,but it's the only way to keep fleas at bay,I don't want my cats to suffer with fleas.
Another problem,hubby thinks it's really great when Vinnie(the best hunter)catches mice in our shed,I dont agree,Vinnie does not eat mice but likes to torture them,the way only cats can :mad:
I won't allow it and hubby has to take the mouse away from Vinnie...(Vinnie looks hurt and does not know why!)aside from feeling sorry for the poor little mouse,I don't want Vinnie to catch anything from it.
So,I better be on poop-patrol from now on,I have noticed Vinnie likes to clean his bum on the carpet sometimes,maybe he's itchy..from worms :eek:

krdahmer
September 29th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Ya I read that the butt scratching along the carpet is one of the signs for worms....but it is mostly only seen as a behaviour in dogs, but I guess it could be with cats too.
And earlier I may have said the worms attached in their bellies...well to be more specific they actually attach to the intestines.
Buddy just took his first half pill and has to take the other half in three weeks... it only cost me $5... for ONE PILL!!! :eek: Oh well, the drug companies have to make their billions somehow eh? :rolleyes:

Ya fleas suck....and I can just imagine going through all that fur Chico...what a job! All I say is Viva La Revolution!!!! :D

chico2
September 29th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Dahmer,that's so cute,thank's!! I will certainly check Vinnie a little closer and his poop.I was thinking he might not want to lick his dirty bum,but instead uses the carpet,not that I blame him :D
I check his little pink bum all the time,but have seen nothing yet.
Hubby thinks I am a pervert :D

iRONKNiGHT
September 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM
And a funny story, Chase always prides himself on his burly exterior and the fact that most people are instantly intimidated by him...makes him feel manly or something. Then the other night we were at our grocery store at the checkout and he was making one of his tough and snarly comments about me wasting his money on stray cats (he actually supports me and doesn't mind) and the cashier turns to him and says "oh you're not fooling us...you're nothing but a big teddy bear"!!! The look on his face was so precious!!! He looked so hurt! I couldn't help but laugh... cause when he's acting tough I always tell him he's not fooling me....and apparently he couldn't fool that cashier either! :D

Kel thanks for Sharing :) that made my day LOL... i feel his pain! LOL and stop exposing our Manlyness LOL

krdahmer
September 29th, 2004, 11:03 PM
LOL....but that's why that was so funny....a complete stranger did it for me!!!! :D ;)

wAggie
September 30th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Ya fleas suck....and I can just imagine going through all that fur Chico...what a job! All I say is Viva La Revolution!!!! :D

sorry, I missed that... what up w Revolution? :p

:eek:

krdahmer
October 1st, 2004, 01:09 AM
LOL....Revolution...the flea/mite/worm medication. The one you put on the back of the neck. That pic was from their web site...thought it was a hoot!
Little kitties with picket signs....LOL too cute!

glasslass
October 1st, 2004, 02:13 PM
EwEwEw! Important to keep poop picked up off the ground too!

krdahmer
October 1st, 2004, 02:39 PM
Wha? Lass did ya step in a squishy surprise :eek: ??
LOL I did last night....yay! :rolleyes:

Princesss04
October 1st, 2004, 03:20 PM
CHICO:

When your babies go to sleep and have been asleep for maybe a hour go in there and lift their tail up and look. They come out when they are sleeping. I would say take in a stool sample but tape worms will not show up in it. We went throught that with Meat Loaf. He would rub his bum across the carpet all the time. So I started looking when he was sleeping and there they were. So we took him to the vet and they fixed it. NO MORE BUM SCOOTING FOR HIM!!! LOL :D

wAggie
October 1st, 2004, 06:49 PM
LOL....Revolution...the flea/mite/worm medication. The one you put on the back of the neck. That pic was from their web site...thought it was a hoot!
Little kitties with picket signs....LOL too cute!

oooooooooooooooooooooh, hahahaha

gotcha, I use that stuff on my buh-bees too :D

chico2
October 1st, 2004, 09:41 PM
Ha,ha Aggie..I thought you meant your boooobies :D

chico2
October 1st, 2004, 09:44 PM
Princess,I will do that,but right now Vinnie is sleeping almost up in the ceiling,on top of my armoire.....I'll check him tomorrow when he sleeps more ground-level :D

krdahmer
October 1st, 2004, 11:30 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the places cats can climb or jump to.
Once me and the girls were over taking care of Cordelia while my parents were away...and I woke up to find Smoke lounging on top of the huge living room bookcase/hutch....there is no furniture near it, no where she could have jumped from and although she could have gone up the shelves, that last one past the overhang to get to the very top would have had to have been quite the 'Tom Cruise "Mission Impossible"' moment! And not a thing was out of place or disturbed!!! Crafty little climbers they are... :rolleyes:
:D After I got her down I was so proud!

chico2
October 2nd, 2004, 07:25 AM
Yes Dahmer,they are amazing agile little creatures :D Vinnie does have a lower cabinet right next to the armoire,but it's still quiet a jump.He has a blanket up there,that looks like a fur-blanket :D and I keep forgetting to brush all that white hair off....

krdahmer
October 2nd, 2004, 10:04 AM
LoL....ya I use towels for mine so I can just throw them in the wash...most of the fur ends up in the dryer catch (which me being a good appt. neighbour, always clean out!-more than I can say for my neighbours!!!) :rolleyes: :D