Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagle pee problem

BeagleGal
September 27th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Hi,
I have a 3 year-old unneutered male beagle. recently, he has started to pee on my furniture/bed for no apparent reason. Usually, when he needs to go out, he'll let me know but, with this problem, there is no warning and he'll do it wherever he happens to be lying or sitting. I took him to the vets this past Friday to make sure everything was alright. The vet said he is a healthy dog, this problem seems like its psychological/stress-related and/or sexually-related. I can't pinpoint anything that may have triggered it and am hoping this 'phase' (if you can call it) passes soon. Has anyone gone thru this and if so, what should I do? I am considering neutering him but, I'm wondering if there's something more to it.. Like, could it be seperation anxiety (I'm gone all day at work)... ? Also, I was looking after my parents pup for a week like almost a month ago and b/c she requires so much attention and is super hper (she's a jack russell).. he may be stressed still about that.. I don't know - just trying to think of reasons why this is happening. Any advice is appreciated - thanks!!!

BeagleGal :)

Sneaky2006
September 27th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Unaltered males like to mark their territory, which usually means they're gonna pee on whatever they think is theirs. I would get him neutered anyway and then see if the problem persists.

Cflat
September 27th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Neutering and PDQ!!! You will be ruling out the "sexual" reason for his marking, and as Sneaky said, males mark ALOT. Another reason you really should get him neutered is to prolong his life due to cancer that un-neutered males get and to eliminate the possiblity of him impregnating a female. The pet overpopulation problems is out of hand as it is.