Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

passing out kitty

junkyarddog
June 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM
My cat Bear is about 7 yrs old. He has had episodes where he is trying to throw up and he's making horrible in-pain meows while he's trying and then he throws up and passes out! The first time he passed out he just fell to the ground and as I watched his little head sank on his chest as his eyes closed. I thought he died!

The vet charged me $200 to tell me he must have some sort of stricture that's closing off his air supply... I found out this info on the internet about 5 hrs before the vet called me back.

I finally took my kitty to the chiropractor and he has improved although he still has episodes.

Has anyone else ever come across this? Am I doing all I can to keep him from these episodes of painful vomiting and passing out?

Does anyone else have a different theory other than stricture?

thanks

sugarcatmom
June 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I have heard of that, never experienced it personally though. Must be so scary! My first thought is to try to avoid Bear vomiting in the first place. Are these hairballs, or could there be something else going on? What does Bear eat?

junkyarddog
June 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM
SCM,

Thanks for caring enough to reply. It was so scary! I immediately called a friend and my friend didn't know it was me at first because I was so hysterical. Then my cat jumped up and ran down the hall and my friend had to hang on the phone while I was hyperventilating!

It's not a hair ball. He ate some grass, came in and puked up the grass and stomach fluid. So far this is my theory... his neck was seriously out of place and his nerve was pinched so that when he threw-up that pain made him pass out. I used to get migraines and I would become sick to my stomach. I would "wake" up on the bathroom floor because the retching caused the migraine to become so severe that the pain would cause me to pass out.

He does throw-up if I don't restrain him when eating. He throws-up so much unchewed food. I don't eat that much in a portion! However, he doesn't puke from that.

I have him on a wheat free diet as well. I think that the large amounts he throws-up is because of the wheat. Too much at one time.

What do you think?

lindapalm
June 7th, 2011, 10:43 PM
One of our cats gets constipated quite often. Whenever she throws up, I know shes constipated, and I start her on kitty laxatives. If I don't, she'll stop eating, and continue to throw up.

junkyarddog
June 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hi everyone,

My Bear passed out again last night! He hasn't done that for a couple of months. Again he ate grass and threw that up along with stomach fluid. Then his legs gave out and down he went.

I have something new to add... it took him close to a minute to actually throw up but at first he made horrible mewling noises. Then he was retching for close to a minute before he was able to throw up.

Could it be that his retching is keeping his windpipe closed for too long and that is causing him to pass out?

Thanks

growler~GateKeeper
June 22nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Could it be that his retching is keeping his windpipe closed for too long and that is causing him to pass out?

It's likely the airway becomes swollen & inflamed from the retching which may result in it narrowing/closing off.

How long is the grass? Is there any way to keep the grass as short as possible especially in the areas you know he likes to go?

Do you know if any of the other cats are also heavy grass eaters?

junkyarddog
June 27th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Growler,

He eats the long grass. I have stopped letting him go outside, however I did plant a pot with Cat Grass and I will bring that inside in the evening for just a minute or so. I can maintain control over how much he eats that way. Yes, all four of my indoor kitties eat the grass... they all rush right over to pot of Cat Grass and start chewing. Why do you ask? And, will the length of the grass deter a cat from eating it?

pattymac
June 27th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Alot of outside grass is very tough and amost has little barbs on the edges so it's very irritating. Cat grass is actually oats before they go to seed, so nowhere near as tough or sharp as regular grass..likely what they're eating is like a crab grass.

My one cat will kind of howl before he horks up a hair ball, I don't know if it's a sore tummy or just a warning...look out here it comes kinda thing.

A couple of mine will do the eat the whole bloody bowl of food and then upchuck..I hate in when they do that! Piggies!!

I'd definately keep a watch on his grass eating, and make sure you keep his hairballs under control. I would maybe see about trying to find an acupuncturist if it's within your budget. It's amazing what that can do. I had an old Manx kitty who started having bowel problems (it's a genetic thing cause of their shortened spine) so I took him to a holistic vet and she did acupuncture on him. Made a big difference in his ability to poop.

growler~GateKeeper
June 27th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Growler,

He eats the long grass. I have stopped letting him go outside, however I did plant a pot with Cat Grass and I will bring that inside in the evening for just a minute or so. I can maintain control over how much he eats that way. Yes, all four of my indoor kitties eat the grass... they all rush right over to pot of Cat Grass and start chewing. Why do you ask? And, will the length of the grass deter a cat from eating it?

I thought this was regular grass outside and so if he was the only one eating it, it would be easier to prevent 1 cat from eating it outside than all of them.

If the grass is super short it's less likely to cause a blockage clumped in a ball or become lodged in his throat in a way that is difficult to vomit a very long piece back up. Long grass, string etc can sometimes become wrapped around the base of the tongue or the intestines and in this case would need surgical removal. Cats "chew" grass but when they do this their teeth aren't cutting the blades into tiny easy to manage pieces and when they vomit it back up it's usually pretty much intact.

I have this awful memory from when I was a little girl with my first cat having difficulty throwing up a single piece of grass that was about six inches long, the day before he passed away :( the grass eating was not the cause of his passing.

Just my :2cents: personally I wouldn't let him have any more Cat Grass or any other grass if he is vomiting to the point of passing out. Much easier to prevent this from happening when you can remove one cause, then it's just a matter of keeping an eye on him when he eats.

:goodvibes: