Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My beloved Mickey is gone...

JenniferS
June 2nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
Hi all,

I lost my best friend on Monday evening. She was an 11 1/2 year old great dane x catahoula named Mickey. She had cancer in her left shoulder, and I had to have her put to sleep, as she was to the point where she didn't want to get up or eat, likely due to pain, as when she did get up, she hopped around on three legs, and let the leg with the cancer in it just hang there limply.

I am coping. Crying lots, but coping. I miss her so much. But I know nothing will help that but time. There's nothing to be done, really.

But I have a question. We have a second dog, a two year old pug, and he loved his big sister to pieces. Since Mickey has been gone, he has gone from frantically wandering around trying to find her, to now just looking so sad. All day today he has seemed so depressed. He has hardly curled his tail up, and usually all you have to do is look at him and he gets ridiculously happy. They've been apart before, but given how quick dogs are to pick up on emotions, and then given the emotional state of my husband and me for the past two days, I think he's realized that she's gone, and that she's not coming home.

Does anyone know what I can do to help him? Or is it a process that only time can make better, like it is for me? It is crushing me to see how sad he is.

Many thanks,
Jennifer

erykah1310
June 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM
first of all, I am so sorry for your loss :( It is never easy to lose our pets especially after they have shared that much of our lives.

I have found that the behaviour your Pug boy is the same that my dogs all go through when we lose a member here.
We just had to say good bye to one of the dogs here a few weeks ago, and all the other dogs did seem to "mourn" the loss of the one who is no longer with us.
I believe they pick up on our emotional state making them uneasy. I don't think there is anything you can really do.
We spent days here just holding our guys here and crying over the loss of our boy. It has gotten a bit easier and we are all a lot more emotionally stable ( dogs included but it did improve when we did)
I would just recommend loving him and sharing in this time of loss with him. You all have suffered a heart breaking loss and you all will come through it together.
:grouphug:
Hang in there, it does get tolerable in time.

BenMax
June 2nd, 2011, 06:05 AM
I am sorry for your loss.
I have gone through a few of my crew passing over the years. I do believe that they know something is wrong as they can sense anxiety in other animals and in humans as well.
I do not believe that they understand 'death' or 'never coming back' but when they are left without their partners or playmates I think they feel that void.
Animals also pick up greatly on our emotions...such as sadness.
What I have done in the past is try and do some activities with the remaining dog. Go for upbeat walks, play with toys..just spend some time with them to fill that void.
Though this is a tuff time for you and you deserve to grieve, when you are with your pug, try to be upbeat and positive. Your emotions will reflect on him.
Again..I am sorry for your pain.

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
:grouphug: So sorry for your loss of Mickey, Jennifer. She sounds like a lovely girl.

You and your pug are sharing a great grief and it will take time to heal. I agree with the erykah and BenMax--love him up, a little extra play and maybe a surprise walk or two... We also try to keep our schedule as normal as possible--our dogs have always seemed to take comfort in the fact that we were predictable and that life was moving on, even though their buddy might be gone.

My heart goes out to you at this difficult time, Jennifer :2huggers: Hang in there! Let us know how things are going for you and your little guy. Most of the members here have been through similar losses and can understand some of what you're going through. If you need to talk, rant, cry, or just share memories of your girl and stories of your pug, you know where to find us. :o

:candle: Mickey

marko
June 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
All good advice here - I too would like to offer you my condolences - i know how hard this is.

:rip: Sweet Mickey :candle:

mikischo
June 2nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
I have nothing to add to the suggestions others have already made.

Most of us have been through this too and, although the ones we have lost will always have a special place in our hearts, it will get easier.

My deepest condolences for your loss.:grouphug:

:candle: Run free, sweet :angel2: Mickey :dog: :candle: