Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy not eating

Roxxie5
September 27th, 2004, 11:19 AM
My little 7 month old poodle puppy (2 lbs) will not eat any form of dog food. Not even treats. HELP! She will eat some meat like steak, chicken, we have tried everything. She will be so hungry that her stomach is growling LOUD and still not. She is so small I am afraid she will starve to death.
Please give me a clue.
Roxxie's mom.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 27th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Has she just started doing this? I would get her to a vet. I know it sounds obvious, but even if it's nothing serious, he/she might be able to help with trying to get her to eat.

Cflat
September 27th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Have you ruled out a medical problem? Has she seen a vet? That is the first and foremost you should do.
As well, remember that this is a) a puppy and b) a very small dog who will eat only small amounts. If you give her meat and she eats it and you give her dog food and she doesn't you are reinforcing her to not eat dog food. Why eat dog food if you can have meat!! If she is healthy, rest assured that when she is hungry enough she will eat her dog food. Put a small amount in the bowl and leave it down for 15 minutes then take it up. Offer this maybe 3-4 times a day for a while until she understands that if she doesn't eat when its down its gone.

Copper'sMom
September 27th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Try canned cat food. No dog can resist! But take her to the vet to rule out medical problems. I also had the same thoughts as Cflat.

Lucky Rescue
September 27th, 2004, 01:39 PM
How long have you had this puppy? What did she eat before? Is this loss of appetite something new? If it's new, then a vet check is definitely needed.

A 2 lb dog cannot go long without eating, so she must be getting something. I think that by "trying everything" you have made her picky and finicky.

Get some good canned dog food and try that. As stated, put the food down and walk away. If it's not eaten in 15 minutes take it up and try again in one hour.
Cat food is WAY too high in protein for dogs, and you don't want her eating only that.

glasslass
September 27th, 2004, 04:26 PM
My mom's toy poodle was starting to do that. My mom was giving him bites off her plate and he was holding out for more of her food. I started taking Den-Den over there to feed him and Corky at the same time. When he's fed with Den-Den, he eats eagerly! After a few days of this, he's now eating his food well on his own. He's alway been like that. Monkey see, monkey do. He'll do whatever Den-Den does. Den-Den likes it, must be good.