Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New puppy

emma129
May 31st, 2011, 12:49 PM
hi, i have just stumbled on this forum and have been having a look around and there seems to be some people who can hopefully give me some advice, i have a 4 1/2 year old miniature pinscher and 5 days ago purchased a short legged mini jack russell, pepsi is very spoilt (first and only dog till max came along), she seems to be quite intolerant of him being around and has "put him in his place" at least 5 times since he has been here, he's almost 10 weeks old and although seems to respect her most of the time, his little puppy curiosity keeps getting the better of him and he goes over to her and has a little nip and she will sort him out, today we had a little bit of a breakthrough, she let him sit on her cushion with her, he kept getting closer and closer and having a mischievious nip untill she ran him and "put im in his place" im just a little worried as to wether pepsi will accept him, he will be neutered as soon as he's old enough as pepsi is an entire bitch and i can't risk any mistakes, i bought a male as i thought a male/female combination would be better than a bitch/bitch combination, when she puts him in his place, he rolls on to his back and puts his little paw up as if to say "im sorry"....i just hope i havn't made a mistake, i only bought him as a playmate for pepsi as i felt sorry for her being an "only child" but im beginning to think that that is exactly what she wants to be...if anyone can give me any advice please do, im really worried she hurts him, or worse he grows bigger and hurts her

thanks in advance

Marty11
May 31st, 2011, 01:05 PM
Although it's ok to be the older and bigger dog there are still limitations. I had the very same situation with my two terriers. I actually was afraid my older male would kill the puppy female, that's how terrified I was. My dog trainer said......put the older dog on a leash at all times (no handle is better so it doesn't get caught on things) and correct every time your older dog gets too far with the pup. You have to get in control, you have to be top dog. Today my two terriers are the perfect match, he still dominates but not in a mean way.

Stinkycat
May 31st, 2011, 02:39 PM
Dog have a social hierarchy and I would say as long as your older dog is "just" nipping (this is a completely normal dog communication and puppies NEED this from other dogs to LEARN. The older dog will be higher in status as he or she is OLDER.

Watch them at all times when they're together, if the puppy is SUPER pushy you can put him or her on a time out in another room with the door closed for 1 min per month they are old. Only do this if the other dog has shown dissaproval more then 3 times (growl, lip curl, or snap).

emma129
May 31st, 2011, 03:03 PM
hi, thanks for your response, i would say pepsi's reaction is more than just nipping, she runs him, pins him down and snaps and snarles in his face for maybe 10/15 seconds before letting up. the noise is awful coming from her, but she doesn't actually bite him, but its like she's daring him to show the slightest bit of aggression and then she'll have him, yes the puppy is super pushy and will chase her, try to pinch her toys, etc