Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crating - To Ignore or Not to Ignore?

Doggiedose
May 30th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hello,

I'm crate training my 10 week old puppy and have read and spoken to various sources and have received differing opinions relating to what to do when the dog starts to cry/whine/bark in the crate.

Some say the best thing to do when the dog is crying/whining/barking is to just ignore it - if we respond, even with corrections, the dog will perceive it as getting attention and therefore, a reward, but I'm a little concerned that without corrections the dog will learn that it's okay to bark incessantly. Other sources recommend giving a quick "Quiet" or "No bark", etc.

Last night we ignored our pup when she began bark at around 3 a.m.- our pup barked for about 2 hours with hardly any break. When I finally got up, I took her out to go to the bathroom and returned her to her crate so I could walk my other dog - when I left for walking my dog the pup was crying, and she was still barking when I returned about 20 minutes later.

Any thoughts/opinions? Is it better to be consistent and ignore completely (all the time), or are there times when it's appropriate to correct - and what type of correction is best? I did try giving a "quiet" once last night and the pup did seem to get louder for a few minutes.

Thanks!

BenMax
May 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Best way to remedy is to ignore. When I have foster puppies, I even feed them in their crate. Mind you, when feeding them, they are out of the crate, I bring the food to the crate and then feed. It becomes a positive place for them and you will even notice that your pup will ask for the crate going forward.
Puppy bladders are not used to holding out for bathroom breaks during an 8 hour period. You may have no choice but to wake up when the puppy cries in the early morning..put the pup out and back to the crate afterwards.

Also, ensure to crate throughout the day for 'breaks'. All my foster pups had their time outside the crate to get used to the house (under supervision) but I did crate them throughout the day to rest. They all accepted this without problem. Initially, they will protest, but it gets better within a few days. Just hold out.

Best of luck.

reanne
May 30th, 2011, 08:34 PM
A 10 week puppy can not be expected to go through a whole night without a pee. Set your alarm to wake up and take puppy to pee!

I agree to ignore. A whining, barking dog never ever gets attention in my house. That includes when I come home-if my crated girl is whining or bouncing with excitement in her crate, she is ignored until she sits and relaxes. However, you can't expect puppy to automatically know this-do some crate training exercises every day. I also feed my girl in her crate too.

BenMax
May 31st, 2011, 06:07 AM
A 10 week puppy can not be expected to go through a whole night without a pee. Set your alarm to wake up and take puppy to pee!

I agree to ignore. A whining, barking dog never ever gets attention in my house. That includes when I come home-if my crated girl is whining or bouncing with excitement in her crate, she is ignored until she sits and relaxes. However, you can't expect puppy to automatically know this-do some crate training exercises every day. I also feed my girl in her crate too.

:thumbs up..works for me as well...and when the pups are finally adopted, the new owners are so impressed that the pups are not whiny. Happy puppy and happy family.

Doggiedose
May 31st, 2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone - sounds like we're on the right track. Just to clarify, I'm not expecting my pup to go the entire night without having to take her out....during the day she's been able to hold it for 2.5-3 hours, but during the night she's been waking us up every 45 minutes to an hour. (Based on what I've read and heard, it should be the opposite.) We're now trying to condition her to holding it for a little longer, so if she cries after 45 minutes or so we may ignore it for a little while and then take her out.

Doggiedose
June 11th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the tips....the pup has been sleeping from about 10 pm to 4 am pretty successfully the last week or two. Yay! :sleepy:

New question/issue - after taking her out at 4 am to pee and returning her to her crate, she tends to bark pretty incessantly for an hour to an hour and a half (when I finally get up to walk them). I'm still trying to ignore it but it's hard, especially when I just want to get sleep! Still continue to ignore and hope she learns?

Dee-O-Gee
June 11th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Where is her crate located Doggiedose? Does she use the crate only for bedtime or during the day as well?

Best place for the crate is somewhere centralized such as the livingroom area. We keep our crate covered with a dark sheet and an old blanket inside with plenty of toys to keep occupied.

You could take one of her favorite toys and play a game with her to let her know it's an o.k. place to sleep. Take her favorite toy and place it inside the crate with her outside and close the door with the toy inside the crate. Wait a few minutes and let her retreive the toy inside and reward her with praise.

Leaving the crate centralized with the door open will give her a scense of security knowing she's still surrounded by loved ones.

Best of luck and keep us posted. :thumbs up

Here's a picture of our crate set up.

Doggiedose
June 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Where is her crate located Doggiedose? Does she use the crate only for bedtime or during the day as well?

Best place for the crate is somewhere centralized such as the livingroom area. We keep our crate covered with a dark sheet and an old blanket inside with plenty of toys to keep occupied.

You could take one of her favorite toys and play a game with her to let her know it's an o.k. place to sleep. Take her favorite toy and place it inside the crate with her outside and close the door with the toy inside the crate. Wait a few minutes and let her retreive the toy inside and reward her with praise.

Leaving the crate centralized with the door open will give her a scense of security knowing she's still surrounded by loved ones.

Best of luck and keep us posted. :thumbs up

Here's a picture of our crate set up.

The crate is in our bedroom, and I've been putting her in there during the day when I'm home, for an hour or two a couple times a day, along with overnight. She responds best to being in there when she's tired. Yesterday I crated her after dinner (to prevent her from playing with the adult boxer right after eating) and she cried / barked for half an hour or so, (and I was up on my bed reading), and once she was quiet I gave her a positive "Good quiet" and a small treat - did that a few times and she eventually settled down. She has a stuffed animal and a small kong in the crate with her.

We have our adult boxer's crate in our family room which we leave open and she sometimes goes in there, which I like - hoping that she'll find the experience there to be good and transfer that to her crate in the bedroom. I thought of putting a blanket over the crate, but when I did that with my adult dog (when he was a pup), he tried to pull it through the wire! (Little bugger.)

Good news update: Yesterday the pup let us sleep longer without barking non-stop, and this morning, slept an hour later than any other morning! Yay! (Hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself.)

Love the pic, by the way....very cute!!!