Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

concerns about getting a dog.

raingirl
September 27th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I just wanted to thank all of your for all your suggestions and help so far. You have all been great! I read ALL new posts every day!

However, I have been getting put down by a lot of family and friends when I mention about getting a dog. Mostly they don't think it will be good because SO and I are at work for about 10 hours a day, and dog will be alone. PLus, my mother and BIL are allergic, which means they won't come over if we get one.

I've tried to explain to them that we are trying to find a dog, has to be a little older (not a puppy), already house trained, easy to train (obedience), good alone during the day, etc etc.

I thought my step father would be more supportive as he used to have 3 goldens, and they were show dogs. He had them in a place smaller than mine!! I was asking his advice but he basically didnt think it would work out.

Some people suggest "borrowing" a dog for a while to see if it works out. Is this possible. I know you can foster a dog, and if you like him, you can offer to keep him.

I'm just getting confused because everyone seems to have this idea that a dog being alone all day is the worst thing in the world!!

I was wondering if anyone here works 10 hours a day, and leaves their dog(s) home alone all day?

Thanks

GunnerX
September 27th, 2004, 10:00 AM
We have a shi-tzu which doesn't shed (as much) and is supposed to be friendly to people with allergies. We leave her for about 10 hours when we go to work since we both have to commute. We got her since she was a puppy and she's been great so far. She's been totally spoiled with lots of toys and chews to keep her busy during the day. We have the kitchen fenced off with a baby gate where she can play and her crate is in there too. All she does is sleep during the day anyways even when I work from home!

We're thinking of getting another puppy to accompany her so she won't be as lonely. However, this would be some time next year.

raingirl
September 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM
thanks for the response. It's nice to know that some people are in the same situation as me. Don't you love commuting?

GunnerX
September 27th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Actually, I don't mind it. :D I take the GO Train so I get 40 mins of sleep before i get to work. I forgot to mention that Ariel used to have separation anxiety. She used to rip apart the newspapers we put on the floor for her. However, in the last month or so she's stopped doing that. She's definitely gotten a lot better and she'll be turning 6 months tomorrow!

CarlaD
September 27th, 2004, 11:00 AM
We also are gone for quite a bit of time. I leave at 5:45 am and SO leaves at 6:30 am and the earliest one of us is home now is 4:00 pm.

We recently got a puppy to keep Willy company and they both love it and it makes me feel a little less guilty about leaving him home all by himself for the full day.

You have to get a puppy/dog because it is what you want. You can't let other people talk you out of it, because they don't live with you and they are not the ones that will be taking care of it. I am sure that you have done all the research and now how much time and effort is involved!

Happy dog searching!

mastifflover
September 27th, 2004, 11:15 AM
I work in film so there are days that I am at work for 14-16 hours. What I do is since I have a large dog and have had problems finding a dog walker. I send my guy to half day doggy day care which costs 2 dollars more than a dog walker. I drop him off in the at 7 in morning and they walk him home at 1 and make sure he has fresh water and some treats and he is fine till I get home. Or if I work a later time I drop him at 1 and they walk him home around 6. He gets to play and then when he comes home he sleeps. There is always some kind of solution since we have to work and want to have those cold noses to come home to. If you leave them a stuffed kong it will keep them occupied for hours trying to get the stuffing out.

raingirl
September 27th, 2004, 01:05 PM
i just got a call from my parents who apologized for being so negative. They just wanted to make sure that I understood there were negatives and not just positives with getting a dog (which I already understood).

aparently a friend of my step-father fosters dogs so he gave me her info so I can speak with her.

i don't mind commuting. I love the go train so much better than the subway though!!

Delirium
September 27th, 2004, 01:54 PM
We commute from Keswick so my beagles are alone during the day. I try and make sure its no more then 10 hours and my neighbours have a key in case of emergencies. They're also very good about walking them if they have some spare time so I don't feel too bad. From what I can tell, they just sleep during the day.

Realistically, dogs are expensive to care for. Thusly one would assume that the best dog owner would be employed so that they can afford the vet bills etc. Of course if you work, you're considered a "bad" owner because you're dogs are alone during the day. Its a vicious circle if you ask me.

If you're rescuing a dog who currently doesn't have a home then 10 hours alone a day (provided they're healthy and can wait that long) is a fair trade for a family that loves them. Better that then another night on the cold floor of the pound.

Keep in mind that you'll likely need to invest in a few tools to help you and your house during the day. Sneaky, my girl, is crated in a huge crate (great dane size) with a fluffy bed, water etc. Toby, who can be left alone in the house without problems, gets the run of the place (with the exception of the room that Sneaks is in). We got a baby gate to block off the front hallway though since his favourite thing to do was sit by the door and bark at people walking down the street. Now, he doesn't rush us when we come in the door (usually with things in our hands) and he doesn't bark as much since he can't see people out front. Also, you might need to invest in dog walkers etc. depending on the needs of your four legged friend.

If you're happy, providing a good home and the dog is comfortable while you're gone, I don't see it as a bad situation.

Dee

shihtzulover
September 27th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Our Shih Tzu is also alone during the day when we are at work.
We have the kitchen gated off for her. We put her crate, toys, food and a puppy pad down for her. She sleeps alot of the day, and the cats visit her throughout the day also. I hate leaving her but we make sure most of our evening is totally all about her. A nice long walk and lots of games of fetch, hide and seek, and tag.

heidiho
September 27th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I agree with that a loving home is alot better then a cold shelter.....

Cflat
September 27th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I feel guilty if I don't get home for lunch! I am lucky in that I work 5 minutes from my home. As long as your dog has stuff to do and a nice place to do it in the time away should be o.k.
You are very wise to have concerns in getting a dog. It is a huge decision and you must be in it for the long haul. I can't think of a better way to be committed though.