Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Working 9 to 5

lil_kirk
September 27th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on the types of small breed dogs that do best when left alone for 5 to 6 hours during the day? We are currently researching the breeds and want to ensure that we get the right dog for our lifestyle (full time workers)--so that it may have a good life with us--not a life unsuitable for it's temperment.

I've been reading the dog breed info web site and found that terrier dogs are not good in this situation but can't really seem to find any indication of what sorts of dogs are good---other than a Pug (which I love but have heard tend to shed a lot and have a lot of health problems).

Any advice would be great! Thanks! :)

jackieb
September 27th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Is there anyway you could get someone to walk the dog in the day as that would give it a release. Or do you have a garden? My friend in England had kennels and a run for her dogs in the day then when she got home let them in the house.

Lucky Rescue
September 27th, 2004, 08:51 AM
5 or 6 hours isn't bad. I suggest you get an adult dog from a rescue who is already known to be good when left alone for that period of time, one who is housetrained and not destructive. Breed doesn't really matter that much, although certain very high energy dogs like Jack Russels and border collies probably wouldn't be a good choice.

All dogs shed, some more heavily than others so there will be dog hair. A poodle might be good for you, although they need regular grooming.

lil_kirk
September 27th, 2004, 08:53 AM
We live in an apartment right now--and likely won't be moving to a house for another five years or so as we are just starting out!

Trying to find a trustworthy neighbour to come in for a walk or a playtime during the day sounds like a fun idea--something to look forward to during the lonely hours of the afternoon.

I see a lot of people in our building leaving their dogs home alone for the day and always wondered how they managed--big dogs, small dogs, active dogs, you name it. I just thought it would get boring for a dog to be all alone--and selfishly I worry that I wouldn't be able to concentrate at work because I'd be worried about my lonely dog!

mastifflover
September 27th, 2004, 09:12 AM
I agree with Lucky get an adult rescue, the best dogs. You just want to avoid breeds that are to high energy, they will get bored and when bored they get destructive. I personally would say a medium sized dog would be ideal. You can always leave a stuffed Kong when you go to work this keeps them busy for hours. Check the local shelters and petfinder also check the site for Mature dog adoptions. These dogs are great and older dogs do not require as much training and adapt really well. Also by mature they do not mean old but you can find some great dogs here.

lil_kirk
September 27th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the advice!! We'll be checking out the local rescues to see what we can find!

Copper'sMom
September 27th, 2004, 01:16 PM
How about a "Weiner" Dog (Dashund)? I don't know for sure, but they don't seem like overly active dogs. I think the only maintenance required for them is to clean their ears! They are cute!

Lucky Rescue
September 27th, 2004, 01:32 PM
I see a lot of people in our building leaving their dogs home alone for the day and always wondered how they managed--big dogs, small dogs, active dogs, you name it. I just thought it would get boring for a dog to be all alone--and selfishly I worry that I wouldn't be able to concentrate at work because I'd be worried about my lonely dog!

My husband and I had a big dog for 9 years with both of us working full time. There's a lot to think about, and it's not always convenient.

No more shopping after work, or movies or dinner out or even company Christmas parties. Straight home every day!

No matter how hard your day was or how tired you are, you must still take the dog for a walk and spend time playing with and training it.

You'll feel guilty going out on weekends or at night, cause after all the poor dog is alone all week long.

lil_kirk
September 27th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Weiner dogs are very cute--I'd have to do some more research about the breed to know for sure what they are like at home!

I agree about the lifestyle change. It's an adjustment we'd definitely have to be ready to make--getting a dog is like having a baby really--your life undeniably changes forever! In essence--the dog owns you!

glasslass
September 27th, 2004, 07:35 PM
I for one can't imagine living without one. Coming home without him waiting on the other side of the door to give me welcoming kisses. Following me from room to room and keeping me company. Curling up next to me while I watch TV or sleep. Sending him to "Get Papa" instead of having to call my hubby. Nope - could never do without one. :rolleyes:

Britishvixen21
September 28th, 2004, 05:45 PM
We are facing the same problem, and there are dog walking services all over! they are bondable and approved, you can find them in the yellow pages. they can come in and take your dog out while your at work. i dont know how much they charge but its something to think about!

Bueller's Mommy
September 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM
I have a dachshund who stays home in my apartment while I'm at work. I can try to answer any questions you might have. Just let me know. :)

Copper'sMom
September 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Here's another suggestion. Adopt a grey hound, whippet or italian grey hound(smaller version of grey hound). If I recall correctly they don't require alot of exercise either! They don't take up much space. Do some research and see what you like. If you opt for a Shih Tzu(spelling??) per say, their long fur requires daily maintenance. Stick with short haired dogs- they are much easier to maintain. Good luck on your search and hopefully you'll find something to love soon and give you lots of love and devotion :) in return!!

animallover
September 30th, 2004, 09:36 AM
I have a 13 month old Rottie and my old Lab. I leave for work at 6:45am and do not arrive home until around 4:30pm. I take them outside in the morning and they do thier business. We come in and they eat while I get ready for work. I used to take Jake, the baby to daycare every other day, but since he was a year old he stays home now. We have a wonderful nieghbor that lets them out at noon and then they sleep the day away on my new couch lol. I know this because there are tell tail signs. Now when I get home we have to go for a looooong walk. So I guess the point I am trying to say is I don't think it matters the size of the dog as long they get enogh excercise sometime in the day. And if I have to go out for the evening, they get thier walk and a new treat (don't they have me trained). :)

chico2
September 30th, 2004, 09:43 AM
A whippet would be wonderful,they are adorable dogs....
If my son had done some research before getting his Jack Russel,he would still have nice furniture,kitchen-cupboards and carpets,add to that jeans,shoes,toilett-paper all which Kita destroyed being alone at home all day,she's calmed down somewhat now(5 yrs old),but still likes to eat coffe-tables and such :D

Copper'sMom
September 30th, 2004, 09:45 AM
lil_kirk,

Check this site out as posted by downloader in the general forum:
www.bluewhippet.net

jackieb
September 30th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I agree a greyhound is a great idea i used to go to a greyhound rescue alot at there fundraising events they just love lying around having a much deserved rest if they have been raced all there lifes.

mastifflover
September 30th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Greyhounds are great I think Whippets require more exercise you might want to check that out. You are so right Glassslass when Boo died I could not stand coming home to an empty quiet apartment. I kept thinking I am not ready to have another dog yet. Then Buddy needed a home and his rescuers sent me his info and a picture and that was it for me I had to have that big sad face. His being there filled my place with happy feelings again. Plus they make you get exercise even if you dont feel like it there is no choice. I feel better when I have a dog and they love you even if get mad or have had a bad day. Once you have one you will be hooked and if they have to stay overnight at the vets, you will be shocked at how empty your place is and how much they are missed.