Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help Plz! Qs about Boarding Kennels

wAggie
September 26th, 2004, 10:06 PM
so - :)

I know this is a bit soon, but I like to plan ahead... :p

the bf and I are planning to take a vac some time in the early part of nxt yr.

as y'all know, I gotz 2 hyper (well, Honey really counts for the both of them.. :o Chocolate's peaceful ) pointers who enjoy a good walk/run like any other dog.

best thing I understand for them to have, is their own vac! I'm definitely not comfortable letting someone come into the house to spend a couple of hrs w them... it'd seem as tho they're under house arrest to me!

sooooo, I wanna have them boarded.

and here are my Qs!

1. what's the price range per day, per wk?
2. are there discounts for bringing in 2 dogs?
3. can the 2 dogs remain in a shared kennel? or do they have to be separated?
4. can I bring them their food?
5. can I bring them their toys?
6. can I bring them their blankies?
7. will someone be taking them for walks to poo/pee outside of this kennel? or will the dogs be "taking care of biz" in the kennel? :(
8. how long at a time will the dogs be able to run free in a fenced area/yard during the day?
9. what shots are they required to have before entry into the boarding kennel?
10. would U recommand ur dog(s) to be boarded or do u have a strong opinion against it? what are your thoughts?
11. what boarding kennel would U recommand?
12. oh, how BIG are the kennels?
13. are the kennels outside or inside like at shelters?

... that's all I can think of at this time, if anyone has more to add, PLEASE DO SO!

THANK YOU!!! :)

TalonsMa
September 26th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks Waggie :) We have a trip to Mexico planned for January, and will be boarding Solara as well!! I'll be interested in this post!!

glasslass
September 26th, 2004, 10:29 PM
We've never boarded. In 37 years, we've just had to leave our pets twice. The longest was for a month when we went to Japan. What we did was to hire my sister-in-law to housesit. They didn't have to change their routines or their surroundings. Worked out great! I even wrote out checks for the bills that would be coming in and she wrote in the amounts and mailed them for us. We brought her back all kinds of goodies from Japan.

Shelby
September 26th, 2004, 11:44 PM
I've boarded Izzy and Wilson before. The kennel that we chose had a few "apartment" style kennels, which had an outside courtyard, and the room was tiled and came with a lounge chair and a TV! which was turned on during the day. There was a big fenced off, grass area where the dogs were allowed to play for hours, and if all the dogs were friendly, they had supervised play groups. I brought along all their own blankets and toys so that they felt more comfortable.

I would suggest calling a few kennels, and then going to see them, that way you will feel more comfortable leaving your babies there.

heeler's rock!
September 26th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Hello! I do dog boarding in my home, which you may want to consider wAggie, if you can find a qualified person. The thing I don't like about kennels is the fact that they are only open for part of the day so your pets are left unattended for most of the evening, and all night! What if there were an emergency? I have had to leave my pups in a kennel once, and they were able to share a kennel, but I could only bring food, no toys. They closed at 6:00pm and everyone went home....

If you find someone to board them in their home, which is nice for most dogs as they really enjoy the human attention all day and all night, you need to ask for references, pet first aid certification, are they insured, and how many walks will they get, so on and so forth. It's nice to trust the person so you don't spend your whole vacation worrying.

Either route you take, DEFINITELY research surrounding kennels, and drop in unexpectedly to see the state of the facilities. How friendly and helpful are the staff? What qualifications do they have? How long have they been there and how much dog experience do they have?

As for shots, if they stay in a kennel, they need their bordatella shot for kennel cough, and all others up to date. Most kennels won't take dogs without bordatella shots. I know with the dogs I board, shots have to be up to date, but bordatella isn't neccessary. I hope all this helps and enjoy your trip!!! :D

wAggie
September 27th, 2004, 07:04 PM
:eek: :eek:

... maybe I should forget about an vacations.... I SERIOUSLY worry about that kind of stuff. I feel if they stayed at somebody's place, their um... manners wouldn't be up to par :o

and interaction w other dogs would be wayyyyyyyyyy better than only w a stranger (tho I'm presuming this stranger would already have a dog of his/her own..)

*sigh* I'm feeling quite wary about kennels now... lot more research, here I come... :(

anyone for the GTA have any suggestions on which boarding kennels u would recommand???

heeler's rock!
September 27th, 2004, 08:40 PM
I have found that the dogs I board quite enjoy being here. I have 3 dogs of my own so they are quite well socialized and they don't have to be stuck in a kennel all day and all night by themselves, waiting until someone says it's okay to play. They can play all day with eachother. Plus, because I have animal experience, I don't mind if the dog isn't perfectly well mannered when they first get here. It's a new surrounding and a new person, but all of the dogs I have had have been fine after the first day or two.

heeler's rock!
September 27th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I have found that the dogs I board quite enjoy being here. I have 3 dogs of my own so they are quite well socialized and they don't have to be stuck in a kennel all day and all night by themselves, waiting until someone says it's okay to play. They can play all day with eachother. Plus, because I have animal experience, I don't mind if the dog isn't perfectly well mannered when they first get here. It's a new surrounding and a new person, but all of the dogs I have had have been fine after the first day or two.

mandygirlie
September 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM
I've boarded my dog at this kennel in Mississauga...AWSOME!

Even have a doggie outdoor pool with lifeguard tower LOL!

Here is the link... Yes they do board all your pets in one kennel (bring toys/beds) if you wish... you can also go in a pick what size kennel you would like...THEY ARE HUGE! they also have a door in each kennel that opens to a large outdoor (shaded) dog run. You can buy extra walk packages... Over all great kennel and clean, I will alway board my Dog here!

Good luck!

Here is the link..
redwood pet resort (http://www.redwoodpetresort.com/)

wAggie
September 28th, 2004, 09:13 PM
mandy... are you affiliated by Redwood in any way?

just asking!! :)

I've noticed this ad that is CONSTANTLY replayed on the t.t.c. platforms - http://www.bestboarding.on.ca/pages/home.html

it doesn't tell u ANY prices, AND there's specific hours when you CAN drop in.... HMMMMMM-

Sheriffmom
September 29th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks for posting this thread, I too am planning a trip (only a little sooner) and was wondering the same things. I was actually planning to post the same sort of thread today!!
I have a question to add.
What age do you recommend a dog be, before kenneling it for 4 days?
Does anyone know of a good Kennel in the Niagara area? or Hamilton area?

Sheriffmom
September 29th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Oh sorry thought of 1 more question.
We have a Bulldog (English) and he (due to breed) needs certain attention and care... i.e can't be outside too long in the heat, needs to have human contact (he gets depressed without it... Seriously!), He has a special diet (due to previous health issue), and he needs to be monitored with his physical activity (too much and he vomits, but he doesn't know/care and will play till he pukes!). Will these be taken into account with a Kennel? I am more than willing to pay extra for this, I just want to be sure it's done!!

wAggie
September 29th, 2004, 07:02 PM
sheriffsmom, check out the links already! :)

one of them does point out special needs..

Sheriffmom
September 29th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Hi wAggie,
I checked out the links provided, and the Rosewood looks really nice (although it didn't seem to have a lot of grass??). I also checked the other board, but both are in TO. I was hopeing to find one in Niagara area, and one that maybe others had some personal experiance with and would recommend. I like to hear testimonials from people, I don't want to just leave my little guy with someone without hearing the pros and cons from someone other then the party getting paid!
Thanks for your post btw!!

wAggie
September 29th, 2004, 07:43 PM
hehehe, yw!!

Luba sent me a few links not too long ago...

http://www.buddys.ca/services.htm

http://www.kwk9.com/dog%20boarding.htm

http://www.epets.ca/health/kennels/on.html

lemme know if u find anything of interest (inc. T.O. :D )

ty! :)

MBRA518
September 29th, 2004, 08:06 PM
It really all depends on what your dog needs... the place were I take Rosie on the rare occation that I can't take her - or find a friend to sit with her has indoor and outdoor runs and an exercise run that they let the dogs out into one at a time to run around. The kennel is only open to the public for short hours morning and night - but that's only because the kennel is close to the house and - well kennel owners need some privacy too. I like that the kennel is close to the house, makes me feel better.

The best thing I like about the place is that they respect Rosie - but they are not afraid of her. Rosie's a little strange with people she doesn't know - and she does not want to leave the kennel until I come back. She eats well and doesn't seem depressed, but I'd be worried if they were trying to take her for walks and such, I'd be worried she would run off or something - I feel much better with her in a well fenced run for her exercise. I think they do outside walks if you want then though. They feed rosie her special food and meds and I can bring any beds or toys I want.

Every time she stays there she gets a little more comfortable with the owners and they make an effort to make her comfortable with them and they are obvious dog lovers. They breed and show English setters (field trials) - so they are well experianced with dogs and training too.

I once took her to another kennel that came recommended from a co-worker (the regular kennel was booked up) and I was not impressed at all. Rosie just didn't seem very happy when I went to pick her up and there was urine all over her bed... they either didn't put her out to pee (and she can hold it for a while) or they hosed down the place with out removing the bed... and I didn't get so much as a "sorry" for ruining her bed... I'd never go back there.

Waggie - if you want the name of the kennel I like - or the one I don't just drop me a PM. Both are in the Durham region.

wAggie
September 29th, 2004, 08:27 PM

I'd be HORRIFIED if my dogs were treated improper!!

omgggggggggggggg, I'd kill 'em! :mad: well, I'd want to!

sure u dont wanna post their name? :confused:

MBRA518
September 30th, 2004, 10:58 AM

I'd be HORRIFIED if my dogs were treated improper!!

omgggggggggggggg, I'd kill 'em! :mad: well, I'd want to!

sure u dont wanna post their name? :confused:

Luckily she was only there over night.. and I don't think anything really bad (like hitting her or not feeding her or something) and maybe it was just that they hosed the place down and didn't take up her bed - mistakes happen - even still they didn't handle it well and I was not impressed. The kennel in question is in Oshawa - so anyone who would like that info can PM me for the name.

melanie
September 30th, 2004, 03:50 PM
'quote'The thing I don't like about kennels is the fact that they are only open for part of the day so your pets are left unattended for most of the evening, and all night! '

thats a great big generalisation, i dont know of many kennels that do that, most kennels and resorts i know are staffed 24hr a day with ppl living on the premisis. maybe an aussie thing but i agree with shelby, we have some lovely places over here. charlie stayed at a pet resort where she was treated like a queen, no telly but 24 hr soothing music played at low volume and heaps of room to move. and when i went to get her you could see she was happy to stay and play with her new human friends, she love the ladies there and they wee so good with her. pet resorts are generally the same as a kennel, jsut guarented nicer. many resorts will also individually excersise your animals each day and have designated interction times for dog and human play.

over here they like to keep dogs who know each other together, same with cats. i think that is a good idea as thy will have company.

any place you consider make sure you do a spot visit nad dont tel lthem your coming, they should not mind if you pop in once or twice before you go away.

for us it is all rather civilised and they have been great to us, i think it comes down to your judgement, if somethings look dodgy they probably are,.

heeler's rock!
September 30th, 2004, 04:50 PM
thats a great big generalisation, i dont know of many kennels that do that, most kennels and resorts i know are staffed 24hr a day with ppl living on the premisis.

That may be true over there, but I know it's not here in Calgary. I left my puppies for a weekend at a "pet resort" here, and they are only open from 8:00am to 6:00pm. They said that everyone goes home at 6:00pm and aren't back until the morning. All of the other kennels I phoned said the same thing, that they are only open for part of the day. The only one that was a bit of an exception was one that had the people's house right next to it, but they had certain "viewing" times for us to come and see it, so I thought it was a bit shady. It's most definitely not an exaggeration or gerneralization here in Calgary.

MBRA518
September 30th, 2004, 05:57 PM
The only one that was a bit of an exception was one that had the people's house right next to it, but they had certain "viewing" times for us to come and see it, so I thought it was a bit shady.

Since I know people who have businesses on their property (namely Horse boarding operations) I can tell you why the "viewing" times are in place. It is so that these people can eat dinner... spend time with family or just get some piece and quiet in their own home. Not to mention allowing the animals to settle in and have some quiet time. In the horse boarding business the "hours" are usually in place so there are not people walking around your property too early or too late, but horses don't usually get all that concerned when strange people are wondering around - however dogs are a totally different story. If you've ever walked into a kennel you will know that there are always a few of the dogs that bark like crazy everytime someone new walks in... can you imagine how stressed your dog would be spending time in a place where people walked in every 30 min and the barking was non stop? So those specified hours at a kennel are there as much for your dogs sanity as for the kennel owners.

Usually in special circumstances (especially if you are a repeat customer) they will bend the times a little bit for you... But I can fully understand why kennels have specified drop off and pick up times. It allows the kennel owners and the dogs some quiet time.

heeler's rock!
September 30th, 2004, 06:54 PM
True, but to see the place itself shouldn't be restricted to times. I can understand not walking into the kennel area itself anytime I want, but I should be able to come during the day and see the people and the surroundings. These people would only let us come view between 8:00 - 10:00am and 4:00 - 6:00pm. So those people want all that time in between to spend with family? If they are running a kennel all day long, why can't I come between 10:00am - 4:00pm too? Just my thoughts. I feel like I'm being somewhat attacked here. I'm just saying my opinion on the situation, and I thought it to be a bit odd, that's all.

MBRA518
September 30th, 2004, 07:24 PM
True, but to see the place itself shouldn't be restricted to times. I can understand not walking into the kennel area itself anytime I want, but I should be able to come during the day and see the people and the surroundings. These people would only let us come view between 8:00 - 10:00am and 4:00 - 6:00pm. So those people want all that time in between to spend with family? If they are running a kennel all day long, why can't I come between 10:00am - 4:00pm too? Just my thoughts. I feel like I'm being somewhat attacked here. I'm just saying my opinion on the situation, and I thought it to be a bit odd, that's all.

I'm sorry - I certainly wasn't attacking by any stretch... Sorry it came off that way, just saying that "hours" aren't always a bad thing... but I get your point too - I would consider viewing to be different as well. There were a couple of comments made about wanting a kennel open... just stating why many are not that's all.

heeler's rock!
September 30th, 2004, 08:17 PM
No worries! Sometimes it's hard to get a sense for what someone is trying to say through posts.... :) I can understand about hours when it's on someone's property. I wouldn't want people wandering my property at all hours of the day. :) I just don't get why some kennels are really only open from 8am - 6pm when it's not on someone's property....that just seems odd and unfair to the animals, especially when they admit that noone is there all night with them.

MBRA518
September 30th, 2004, 09:02 PM
No worries! Sometimes it's hard to get a sense for what someone is trying to say through posts.... :) I can understand about hours when it's on someone's property. I wouldn't want people wandering my property at all hours of the day. :) I just don't get why some kennels are really only open from 8am - 6pm when it's not on someone's property....that just seems odd and unfair to the animals, especially when they admit that noone is there all night with them.

Yah... I don't think I'd be comfortable leaving my dog at a place with no one around for miles all night...

As for the "what people are trying to say" part... I really need to use more emoicons I quess :D ;)