Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

skin rash?????

nicky2128
May 22nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Hi all,

I have three dogs who all developed a skin irritation of some kind last night and is getting worse. I have been looking all day trying to determine what this may but have not come up with anything that makes sense. The irritation/rash is mainly on their bellies, inner thigh area but they also have it on their ears. I at first thought ringworm but everything I have read about ringworm says it takes 10 days or so before you actually may see the irritation, is it possible that this is what they have? What are the chances that they all developed a food allergy at the exact same time? They otherwise are acting normally, eating normally, nothing out of the ordinary in their behavior other then the rash/irritation and the fact that they seem a little itchy. Any thoughts as to what this might be?

SamIam
May 23rd, 2011, 12:02 AM
Ringworm has a very distinctive look - be careful as it is transmissible to humans. Allergy/irritation would not likely be to food unless you changed their food, but it could be something like poison ivy/stinging nettle, or a detergent if you washed their bedding recently. Ant (or other insect) bites can also cause red marks that look somewhat similar to ringworm.

hazelrunpack
May 23rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
First and foremost, nicky, you need to find out what you're dealing with, so a trip to the vet is in order. Your dogs aren't likely to have suddenly developed a food allergy all at once, but they may, among other things, have all gotten into the same irritant or picked up something contagious. Best to find out quickly what's going on so that you can treat it properly from the get-go.

As SIA stated, a fungal infection like ringworm can be transmitted to humans so you'll need to be careful until you find out for sure if that's what you're dealing with.

I hope your dogs are feeling better quickly! :goodvibes: Keep us posted, pls! And welcome to the board! :D

Melinda
May 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
depending on where you live, ant season is booming in Ontario, any bare skin is fair game if the dogs lay down near their hill, but as others have said, your first option should be a vets visit