Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice needed on catching stray cats.

skunkney
September 26th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I live on a busy street and there have been stray cats breeding and hiding in the back outdoor storage area for a produce store. Eventually they are killed either trying to cross the street or from hiding under a parked car. I talked to the owner of the store who seemed willing to do something but hasnt yet. The local SPCA will do nothing, unless dealing with an injured animal or one that is in somebody's posession. I tried going out with a box and can of tuna one night, in hopes to lure them close enough to grab and put into the box for pick up. There are mature cats as well as kittens. Any suggestions?

glasslass
September 26th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Often a local SPCA will lend traps to catch feral cats. You might call them to check.

Lucky Rescue
September 26th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Do not try and grab these cats. The only safe way - for both you and cats - to catch cats who are not tame is with a humane trap. As glasslass said, often the HS will let you have one, or you can rent them.

You can bait the trap with something smelly, like a can of salmon. Do not leave the trap out overnight.

Thank you for trying to help these poor animals.

skunkney
September 26th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Ok , thanks for responding, i'll try and borrow or rent one of those. The thing is, though, the only time i've ever seen these cats is at night when the store closes and people aren't around. I would have to co-ordinate with the owner to leave the trap there overnight and then check it the next morning. I have no idea where these cats go during the day, as this storage area is alive with human commotion and they don't stay there. I'm sure only one cat would get trapped at a time and it would only be in there probably for 5 or 6 hours. I just don't know what will happen to them once they reach the shelter. The kittens might overcome their shyness towards humans, but as for the more mature cats I don't know.

krdahmer
September 27th, 2004, 12:48 PM
It is not a good idea to leave a trap like that unattended. You can only catch one at a time, and once they are in the trap they tend to get a bit squirrelly...which is totally understandable because they are terrified! You need to be there off in the wings somewhere and cover it with a towel/blanket asap so that they calm down quickly and don't injure themselves, especially if there are any pregnant females. This way you can also remove the trap quickly before the other cats figure out what it is for and make it harder to catch another. The traps only catch one at a time and have to be reset each time. I used the Havahart trap that I rented from a local small engine repair/equipment rental place (these places usually rent to hunters etc), and I was shocked at how crazy the cat went when that door shut on it... I was glad I was right there to cover it and then transfer her to a carrier.
Also when you go to move it or the cat make sure you have long sleeves and gloves on as they will have extremely sharp claws and remember they think they are fighting for their lives, they are not aware that you are trying to help!
And thank you thank you thank you for being willing to try to help these animals, it is a great thing you are doing. :) {{{HUG}}}
Also, not sure if it was mentioned yet or not but I found that the most helpful people when I started to look into helping my local little feral population here were in fact the volunteers and rescue/foster groups, the HS and SPCA were not willing to help at all and almost guaranteed that these 'wild' animals stood no chance of being adopted out or not being PTS. Oh and definitely the people here at Pets.ca, their support and wealth of knowledge is invaluable!!!! ;)

tyr
September 27th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Like KRD said it is best to go through a rescue group as SPCA's are not very willing. I know in Ottawa we have a rescue group that deals ONLY with Feral cats because they rarely have a chance. You may want to look for something like this in your own area as they may be of the best help.

Keep me posted on how things go! :D