Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

switching from puppy food to adult dog food

ThaiGhing
September 26th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Just wondering what everyones opinion is on when to switch from puppy food to adult food??

We have a 7 month old smooth hair chow chow. He is currently 40lbs. Very healthy. Very active. Neutered.

I am wondering how long he should be getting the puppy food?? He eats the dry and wet food, both from Nutra Natural Choice. I am wondering at what age do we start to feed him the adult food???

I am just curious and wanted to get a few opinions, as those I have asked so far vary quite alot.

Thanks everyone.

ThaiGhing
September 26th, 2004, 09:16 PM
I really need to know when to stop feeding my 7 month old smooth haired chow chow puppy food?? He is 40lbs, energetic, healthy, and recently neutered. At what age should I begin feeding adult food??
We feed Nutra Natural Choice for puppies.
I am going shopping the morning... any suggestions???

glasslass
September 26th, 2004, 09:23 PM
For smaller dogs, it's usually 1 year. I've read that some large breeds grow too rapidly on puppy chow and are switched earlier. I don't know if that applies to chows.

wAggie
September 26th, 2004, 09:34 PM
if I'm not mistaken, puppy food is very high on protein... :confused:

so once u see your dog's beginning to gain weight, it's time to move him to adult dog food to reduce the protein intake.

I believe I switched Chocolate's pup food for adult at around 9 months... and he's a big dog, if u cant tell from the pic :D

bosco
September 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM
I'm not very familiar with chow chows, but with large dogs, I usually shift between 7-10 months. However, that is only a rough estimate. It varies greatly from dog to dog. I'd talk with your vet if you are still unsure.

goldenblaze
September 27th, 2004, 03:48 PM
I asked that very question to my Vet 2 weeks ago, I have Blaze a golden retriever that will be 8 months Oct 8th. He has been feed Nutro Natural Choice since he was 8 weeks large bred puppy cause he will be over 50 pounds. Blaze at the Vet visit was 51 pounds and we talked about going to adult food Nutro Natural Choice Large bred adult and I was told 1 yr. So I will wait till that time but you should ask your Vet what they think. :)

CarlaD
September 28th, 2004, 12:31 PM
I would also suggest talking to your vet.

We changed Willy over at 6 months, because he could no longer eat the food that he was on and the vet said instead of making a transition from puppy to puppy food that it would be okay just to make one transition and go right to adult food. For beagles, they start to gain weight at 5 months according to our vet, so they are okay to be switched over around 6 months.

Again I think that it is all in the breed.

Princesss04
September 28th, 2004, 01:27 PM
I aske dmy vet that about my two dogs and he said at a year old. :D

Goldenmom
September 28th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I would only listen to your vet. He/she knows your dogs weight, build etc....
All of my girls went on adult food at 6 months of age. I have never had a health problem with any of them and none are over-weight. I have just switched from Nutro food.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls