Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Mills - WARNING LINKS GRAPHIC

Cflat
September 26th, 2004, 04:33 PM
http://www.dachshund.org/puppymill_aussistory.html

skunkney
September 26th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Tragic. I read bits of this story but couldn't bear the details. Did you inform the local Humane Society or SPCA about the condition of this dog? If so, were the handlers held responsible?

pitbulliest
September 26th, 2004, 07:19 PM
You guys..I work in a pet store..I want to find out more about where we get our dogs from but I have no access to that information...and my manager just keeps saying "from good breeders"..which I know isn't true..our dogs are always sick..and too young to be there in the first place..I feel like crying each day I come home from work..and I don't even work in the dog department for crying out loud! Soo many people come in and buy the animals..and that just means these puppy mills are being supported to do these things..

What can I do?.. I need to keep this job..but I also want to help...I wouldn't mind annonymously contacting certain people or finding things out..I just don't know what to do :(

skunkney
September 26th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Well, thats a pretty tough situation you're in there. Too bad more pet stores don't have such consciencious employees. Maybe you could get a friend or relative to come in posing as a buyer and see if they can get some information on the dog's 'before deciding on a purchase' so to speak. As for your job, it's unlikely that even if you were to discover that these puppies were from a poorly run puppy mill, the owner of the store is unlikely to care. He's probably in it for the money and the details surrounding the puppy's breeders are probably the furthest thing from his mind. In any case, if the manager is the only one you've spoken to, you could take a stand and ask to speak with the owner to voice your concerns. You never know, maybe he's completely in the dark as to how his store is being run. This is unlikely, however, and unfortunately it might mean you having to choose between your job or your peace of mind. Good luck!

wAggie
September 26th, 2004, 09:14 PM
OMG!!!! :eek:

I was SO horrified to read that website report... OMG!!! how sick, how sooooooooo utterly sick!!

what kind of life WAS that for this dog??!! :mad: :mad:

at times like this, I'd LOVE for our society to have the death penalty for these worthless people!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Akeeter
September 26th, 2004, 09:44 PM
why the heck are they in a pet store? Good breeders keep their pups safe at home until they are ready to go to their new homes.

How old are they? 7 weeks is about the earliest they should leave Mom. (more like 8 weeks)

I think you should head to a pay phone & call the OSPCA, -anonymously if you want. Get details on the ages of the pups, (that should be listed on their cage) & the health problems they seem to have. Like runny eyes,& nose, not eating or drinking, not putting on weight.

nobdysangl8503
September 26th, 2004, 11:02 PM
how disturbing is that!!!!!! how can people be so cruel?!!!!

LavenderRott
September 26th, 2004, 11:51 PM
The "breeder's" name should be on the puppies papers. I am assuming that these puppies have papers, they are worth more money when they do.

My mom has a saying that you may want to think about. "It is easier to find a job when you already have one." I know I have been spending my days off looking for a new job.

As for finding out where your store's pups came from...make friends with someone who works in the puppy department. They must be able to see the puppies paperwork. How else could they answer questions that the perspective buyers have? And you may be surprised and make friends with someone who doesn't realize where these pups came from and is as outraged as you are.

Lucky Rescue
September 27th, 2004, 12:06 AM
A lot of the puppies probably come in trucks from the mulitude of mills here in Quebec. :mad:

I'm sure many of them don't make it alive, but who cares? Lots more where those came from.