Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fleas

Kai One
September 26th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I have 1 cat and 1 dog. This being my first summer in Toronto, (I come from vancouver) I was silly in thinking the flea season would be over so I didn't apply advantage again.
This morning I find my cat has a small amount of flea dirt on him. I freak out and brush every inch of him with the flea comb. I got 3 live ones. My dog only had flea dirt on her butt and I got 2 live ones off her both in her butt. I don't think I saw any eggs. But just for the record what do the eggs look like?
I called the vet but they wouldn't sell me advantage without bringing the animals in, but then there was no room available today so I went to my pet store and bought some Zodiac. I know OTC flea controls aren't very highly thought of but I don't want to wait till Thursday to go to the vet.
When I got home I swept the entire house (we have no carpets) and am in the process of washing all the bedding.

The cat is indoors and the dog goes through long romps through the forest every day. So I can't treat "the yard". Though I haven't seen any problems until the other night we took the dog out in the forest after dark because we were held up at work. Could this be the cause of the fleas suddenly appearing?
Is there anything else I should be doing?
Should I switch to Advantage once the month is up?
Whats the die off like? Should I be brushing with the flea comb daily?

Thanks a lot.

melanie
September 26th, 2004, 05:07 PM
your doing all the right things, fleas live in dusty areas like corners and under beds, so keeping everything swept and dust free is a start. also keep the bedding washed regularly.
consider adding a bit of garlic to their food, jsut crushed garlic once aweek, it is a natural flea repellant. (my GSD i give one clove a week, half that for small dogs). also any pet shampoos with tea tree is good also.

also for heavy infestation use a topical product like frontline etc, you vet wil have their favourite.

good luck, summeris coming over here and i noticed my dog scratching, oh here we go again. it is a never ending battle.

bosco
September 26th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I recommend Frontline. That stuff is great. All you have to do is apply it every month between their shoulder blades. In the states, some people can get Frontline without going to the veterinarian, depends on which store you go to. I think that's a bit strange.

I'd dip them to kill the infestaion, bomb the house (you can never be too safe), and put Frontline on them. Once a flea (or tick) touches a dog wearing Frontline, they usually die pretty quickly. Good luck.

gidgiegirl4
September 26th, 2004, 10:31 PM
I give my dog garlic and brewer's yeast pills and that seems to keep the flea problem under control. She still gets the odd one. But without the pills she gets alot more! :)

glasslass
September 26th, 2004, 10:43 PM
I bathe Den-Den (Puss-Puss too, at the beginning of the season) with Flea-Flea Bar Soap. We never have fleas. I order Flea-Flea on-line - made in Canada! :D Thanks, neighbors! :D

nobdysangl8503
September 26th, 2004, 11:05 PM
speaking of fleas.....what kind of flea shampoo is ok to use on bunnies?.... :confused:

Kai One
September 27th, 2004, 04:10 PM
So day 2. How will I know when/if the flea control works? It was one of those liquid ones that goes on the shoulder blades/butt.
I pulled 3 live fleas off the dog today. None off the cat.
Also there are a ton of flea eggs scattered where the cat was sleeping last night. Can I assume these are dead?

Thanks a lot for you help everyone. I've never had to deal with fleas before.

melanie
September 27th, 2004, 05:34 PM
with most topical aplications including frontline, the flea does not die until it has bitten the dog, but it does work after a few days, just keep picking them off and it will hopefully end soon.