Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dusty

Kelly5343
May 18th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Hello everyone, I'm New with this site, I have a Question about my cat Dusty's health, but I am having a problem on how this site works.

Melinda
May 18th, 2011, 04:30 AM
good morning kelly, whats your problem? and welcome to the forum

Kelly5343
May 18th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Melinda, thank you for responding!!!!! here we go...
I have a 13 year old male nurtured cat named Dusty, 2 weeks ago he was out front of the house for about five min. he came running in low to the floor, I think something must have spooked him, he hid for 5 days around the house, on the 5h day he got out the front door and hid under a neighbours deck. it took us 3 hrs to get him out he was very aggressive and attacked me by biting, he is now in the house and he is hiding again. He is even more spooked, he is eating and drinking, and letting me pat him, i have noticed that he is peeing where he is hiding and runs away growling. To make a long story short, he would not come out of the basement and would not move, he was peeing and pooping were he was laying, I tryed to clean him on my own, but was unable to, he was covered in poop. I managed to get him into the crate and brought him to the vets, they had to sedate him to take xrays and clean him up no broken bones just a sist on his paw, could't be draned or lanced, over $500.00 later, they gave me meds, one was called Clavamox, when he got home he was back to his old self again, walking around in the yard 2days later he is hiding again and favoring his foot, will not use litter box, still having to clean him, eating well, I think the med Clavamox is making him lathargec, I will add more if you have any questions thanks hope you can help...

Melinda
May 18th, 2011, 05:41 AM
are you sure it was something that scared him and not something that hurt him? did the vet do any other tests?? there are a lot of cat experienced people on the board and I'm sure one will be along soon to help.

Kelly5343
May 18th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Hello, he is normaly not an out door cat, but he like to sit on the front porch, to check things out, and comes running back in if her hears a noise, cars people, this time he ventured across the road, I think the paper carrier pulled up and Dusty didn't know what to do, but we will never know, When we took him to the vet, she found a scratch on his belly and figures that it got infected and traveled to his leg, he still has a small bump on it, and is favoring it, by not moving

mikischo
May 18th, 2011, 05:49 PM
What other medication was he prescribed besides the clavamox? Did the vet do any other tests other than taking the xrays?

Lethargy is not a common side effect of clavamox. Most cats tolerate clavamox quite well and the most common side effects, if any, would be vomiting and/or diarrhea. Clavamox is an antibiotic and it is important that he take all of it as prescribed to treat the infection. Good to hear that he is at least eating and drinking normally.

For a 13 year old cat to suddenly start hiding and behaving in the manner you describe while in his familar environment, as well as suddenly urinating and defecating outside his litterbox I would strongly suspect that this is a reaction to pain moreso than fear. You also mentioned that he has been seen to run away growling after urinating. That would indicate that he is also experiencing pain while urinating. I would suggest another trip to the veterinarian for further tests or, at the very least, try and get a fresh, clean urine sample and take it to your veterinarian for testing.

Also I would consider it dangerous to allow him outside at all, at least until these unusual behaviours have stopped.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.:goodvibes::goodvibes:

Kelly5343
May 19th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Thank you so much for your reply, just to let you know your angel Mickey looks exactly like my Dusty. here is a little background info about Dusty. in2008 he had a Colectomy, and now has only 5% of his colon, so it is nomal for him not to poop in his litter box, so when he's gotta go he goes, he has alway moved away from it. As for the other meds the vet precribed are Doxycycline and Metacam. I called the office I recieved them and asked what each med was for so that I could write it on the bottle or Packaging(for my own piece of mind). The receptionist told me that the Doxycyline was to loosen is bowel, the vet and I discussed that he did not need any meds for stool softening because of his prior sugery, so i did not give it to him, yeterday the vet called and told me that Doxycycline is for infection so now I am giving it to him, all for his other med are gone, I'm hopeing that this med is what is missing and works, if there is no change in a few days I will be bringing him in for blood work thank again, Kelly

Kelly5343
May 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone, update on Dusty, now when he trys to walk his left leg is floping around, The vet has sugested a joint tap, cost to be around $700.00 for all test, I'm wondering if any of you have gone though this process, As you know Dusty is 13 yrs old, and my Husband and I are thinking my about his quality of life and should we put him through any more. Any advise would be greatly appreciatd Thanks

sugarcatmom
May 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone, update on Dusty, now when he trys to walk his left leg is floping around, The vet has sugested a joint tap, cost to be around $700.00 for all test, I'm wondering if any of you have gone though this process, As you know Dusty is 13 yrs old, and my Husband and I are thinking my about his quality of life and should we put him through any more. Any advise would be greatly appreciatd Thanks

I'm not sure what a joint tap is, so no advice there. Personally, I don't think 13 is all that old for a cat and many can live into their 20s. My own cat is 18 and has had diabetes and a heart condition for the last 8+ years. And he's a happy little camper (unless one of the kittens is buggin him). If you don't have the test done, does the vet have any other suggestions or advice? Would some sort of physiotherapy help, or maybe acupuncture? I'd try to get more info if you can, or possibly even a second opinion.

Kelly5343
May 30th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Hi thank-you for your reply, We have an appointment for Dusty on wed, for an exam, then see about our options, I called other vets and they have advised me to stick with are usual vet, since she has seen him from the begining of this ordeal, and knows his history, and it would be very costly for them to re-examin him from a begining point.
thanks again,