Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Soft stool in my cat , I am worried

Bella's
May 18th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Boy am I glad I found this place. Please hear me out.
I have 7 month old kitten turning 8 months in April. She is a Tortie Point Mitted named Bella<3 . a strictly indoor feline but one day my little brother let her outside and she was eating grass. She ate a lot of it I brought her back inside and a day later she got a hold of cardboard box and ate that too I thew it away and never left another cardboard box out. Anyways day or two later I noticed her stool softened :cry:
I began to worry and decided to keep an eye on her. She is still active, she eats and drinks water. Her stool is still loose. I have her on eye quality brand of food.
Dry food : Blue longevity for kittens.
Canned food: Avoderm
Why do you think her stool is all of a sudden soft? She is showing no sign of sickness like I said she is eating, drinking and playing. Do you think it's because of the grass and cardboard she ate? I read somewhere when a cat eats grass their stool is soft because the grass is emptying out their tummy and it can take a while for their stool soften up again?
Also another thing I should add
I found grass and cardboard in her litter box after she pooped.
This is her
http://i52.tinypic.com/1z5u59k.png

SamIam
May 18th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Hi Bella and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your kitty isn't well. It is May now, has she really been ill for 2 months already?

growler~GateKeeper
May 18th, 2011, 02:54 AM
If it has only been a couple of days since she ate the grass then it sounds like her body's normal reaction to having eaten a bit of grass/cardboard. Did she have any soft stool prior to eating grass?

If this continues for more than a few days and you are still concerned you can always bring her & a fresh (ideally w/in 1-1.5 hours) stool sample in to the vet to have them check for parasites.

Be sure to keep an eye out that she is not acting overly tired, weak, depressed, stops eating/drinking, hunched over like she has a stomach ache, stomach very tender to the touch, straining to poop or not pooping at all - these would be signs to get her to the vet ASAP.

Normally these things will clear up on their own, though you could give 1/4 teaspoon of pureed canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin NOT pie filling - too many spices) or pure butternut squash babyfood (Heinz Organics or Earths Best) given once will help to re-balance the moisture in the bowels.

Welcome to the forum, Bella is adorable :cloud9:

Bella's
May 20th, 2011, 08:15 PM
If it has only been a couple of days since she ate the grass then it sounds like her body's normal reaction to having eaten a bit of grass/cardboard. Did she have any soft stool prior to eating grass?

If this continues for more than a few days and you are still concerned you can always bring her & a fresh (ideally w/in 1-1.5 hours) stool sample in to the vet to have them check for parasites.

Be sure to keep an eye out that she is not acting overly tired, weak, depressed, stops eating/drinking, hunched over like she has a stomach ache, stomach very tender to the touch, straining to poop or not pooping at all - these would be signs to get her to the vet ASAP.

Normally these things will clear up on their own, though you could give 1/4 teaspoon of pureed canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin NOT pie filling - too many spices) or pure butternut squash babyfood (Heinz Organics or Earths Best) given once will help to re-balance the moisture in the bowels.

Welcome to the forum, Bella is adorable :cloud9:

Hello and thank you for the suggestion. she has not been acting sick. active as usual. Eating and drinking like always.
I was wondering if yogurt would help as well? Her stool loosened after she ate grass and cardboard. before it was fine.
and again thanks.

Bella's
May 20th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Hi Bella and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your kitty isn't well. It is May now, has she really been ill for 2 months already?

thanks ; no she hasn't just started after she ate grass and cardboard.

growler~GateKeeper
May 20th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Hello and thank you for the suggestion. she has not been acting sick. active as usual. Eating and drinking like always.
I was wondering if yogurt would help as well? Her stool loosened after she ate grass and cardboard. before it was fine.
and again thanks.

It's been a couple more days, how are her poops now?

Many cats do not do well with any dairy products, especially if they haven't had any since being weaned, so I would stay away from the yogurt until this bit of soft stool has cleared up.

SamIam
May 21st, 2011, 12:01 AM
thanks ; no she hasn't just started after she ate grass and cardboard.

And when was that?

Bella's
May 21st, 2011, 05:56 AM
It's been a couple more days, how are her poops now?

Many cats do not do well with any dairy products, especially if they haven't had any since being weaned, so I would stay away from the yogurt until this bit of soft stool has cleared up.

Yesterday it was fine went back to what it normally looks like but this morning it was leaky a gain. Still no sign of blood or worms and again she was active playing and eating.
If I see leaky again I plan to scoop some up and take it to a vets office to get proper diagnosis and also I am going to switch her food to see if that helps.
& I did not see your reply and ended up giving her a small teaspoon amount of yogurt. Never doing it again.
do you think I should stop giving her canned food for a while?

and also before all this started happening I gave her small amount of milk because she kept getting into my glass.

Bella's
May 21st, 2011, 05:56 AM
And when was that?

about a week 1/2 ago :/

SamIam
May 21st, 2011, 11:22 AM
If I see leaky again I plan to scoop some up and take it to a vets office to get proper diagnosis and also I am going to switch her food to see if that helps.

I don't think the vet is just going to do an over-the-counter fecal analysis, you will have to make an appointment and take your cat in. While you wait for your appointment, don't change the food, that will just make things worse and make it harder for your vet to make a proper diagnosis.

14+kitties
May 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Yesterday it was fine went back to what it normally looks like but this morning it was leaky a gain. Still no sign of blood or worms and again she was active playing and eating.
& I did not see your reply and ended up giving her a small teaspoon amount of yogurt. Never doing it again.
do you think I should stop giving her canned food for a while?

and also before all this started happening I gave her small amount of milk because she kept getting into my glass.

Please do not take her off canned food or switch her food at this time. That will be too much for an already overburdened system. Sometimes something as simple as a food switch can cause diarrhea. If anything take her off the dry food and keep her off. www.catinfo.org
There is a cat milk you can give her. It isn't great but it would be better than cows milk. Contrary to popular belief a lot of cats are lactose intolerant. They simply can not handle milk.
If you can find some acidophilus, usually found at better drug stores or health food stores, you could add a small amount of that to her food. It will help restore her belly flora. The dosage would be approx 1/10 of what a human would take. It would be better than yogurt. Especially if kitty has now developed lactose intolerance.
Have you tried the pumpkin? Make sure as growler said that is it the pure pumpkin, not the pie mixture. Some cats will eat that by itself without even mixing it with their food. They love the taste of it.
When was the last time your kitten was given worm meds? It could be that is what she needs. If she hasn't been wormed in the last few months I would consider doing so.

14+kitties
May 21st, 2011, 11:27 AM
I don't think the vet is just going to do an over-the-counter fecal analysis,

If the kitten is a regular patient or the family has been dealing with the vet for a while then yes, they will take just a fecal. I have two vets who do that all the time for me. :shrug:

SamIam
May 21st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Oh, ok. I didn't know the OP's background except for what they posted.

Bella's
May 23rd, 2011, 02:12 AM
Good news guys
Yesterday I decided to cook plain white rice and chicken for her (Boiled them both) and I fed her that. She wouldn't eat the rice so I took a can out of avoderm and poured juice on the rice and chicken and she went nuts after it! She ate the whole bowl and I fed her some again today and i have yet to see loose stool. Nothing on the walls of the litter box , it's the same old poop I used to scoop out. Funny but I am so happy right now.
I pray rice and chicken finally solved the problem :pray:

Someone had suggested she most likely most likely irritated her intestines by eating the cardboard and if she is going to eat rice and chicken why not give it a try.

Well anyways I have just a small portion of rice left and will boil fresh chicken and give it to her again tomorrow and after that hopefully everything goes back to normal :)

THANK YOU ALL!

hazelrunpack
May 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Glad to hear she's doing better! :goodvibes:

Bella's
May 24th, 2011, 11:20 PM
No loose stool again :)

^ thank you.