Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Panting

mylink
May 17th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I have a 2yr old king shepherd , he is always panting, i took him to vet who checked his blood exrays heart ultra sound done on heart and lungs , came out healthy and remarkable, yet he pants, anyone know why, he has no cough eats and drinks plays goes for walks,Thanks :dog:

luckypenny
May 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Did you take him to the vet because of the panting or was his check-up prior to you becoming aware of it? Are there particular times during the day where he pants or is it constant?

SamIam
May 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
King Shepherds have a rather thick coat, so if he is indoors or the weather is hot or sunny, panting is his way of keeping cool. Evaporation of saliva off his tongue works the same way as evaporation of sweat off the skin of people. Make sure he always has access to shade and a cool resting area, indoors and out.

Other than environmental temperature, another common cause of panting is stress - when you are stressed your body heats up and again, panting helps maintain a normal healthy body temperature. Try to determine if there are certain situations where he pants more.

Bloodwork, x-rays, and ultrasound, however, would suggest to me that your dog is displaying other concerning symptoms as well. What are they?