Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some reassurance

dashn'us
May 14th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hey guys. We've been having a few problems with Dash, our 11 month old miniature schnauzer. About a week ago, Dash started having mucusy (sp?) runny stools. He would still eat and drink like a horse, and still plays quite a bit when he wants too, but he also seems to be sleeping a bit more. He isn't getting sick and throwing up, but the diarhhea is bothering us.

We took him to the vet this morning, and he gave us Neosol Drops to try, to stop the runny poop, but he didn't really do any tests. We did notice he has lost 3lbs though.

I was reading online at similar stories, where it ended up being Parvo with dogs. Is there specific symptoms of Parvo we would notice?

Hopefully we can get some help, and maybe somebody has some insight for us.

Thanks

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Parvo would likely be pretty bad by now...it tends to move pretty quickly, so hopefully it's not that! :fingerscr

The vet didn't look at a stool sample? We get similar symptoms when the dogs have come down with campylobactor and I've heard that giardia can present with similar symptoms. I'd highly recommend having a stool sample checked at the vet and see if there's anything obvious there.

Some things that might help runny stools are probiotics, which help balance the fauna of the gut and may be beneficial, and plain canned pumpkin (not the pie filling with added spices and sugars--just the plain pumpkin), which helps regulate the water balance and can help to firm up a stool.

Good luck with Dash! I'm sorry to hear the lil fella is ailing and hope he feels better soon! :grouphug: :goodvibes:

dashn'us
May 14th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the vet is now closed until Monday and no the vet did not ask for a stool sample. There is no blood in it, and he isn't showing any other symptoms of parvo, it just worries us. I was looking at his vet records and it does show that he was vaccinated for parvo so does that rule out that possibility?

If we don't see any sort of improvement we will have to take him back.

Longblades
May 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the vet is now closed until Monday and no the vet did not ask for a stool sample. There is no blood in it, and he isn't showing any other symptoms of parvo, it just worries us. I was looking at his vet records and it does show that he was vaccinated for parvo so does that rule out that possibility?

If we don't see any sort of improvement we will have to take him back.Vaccines for Parvo have improved since my fully vaccinated girl got it at 6 months of age but no vaccine is 100%. So, NO, that doesn't rule it out but it should provide a bit of help and at 11 months old the risk is not as great as with a very young puppy.

The only symptoms I saw were lethargy and loss of interest in food. Not eating is pretty conclusive that something is wrong in a dog like a Lab, that loved her food. Other dogs maybe not so much. I did not see any diarrhea but one dog will not necessarily have all the same symptoms as another. She did have bloody stools during her 4 day stay at the Vet's.

I would insist on a faecal float and exam. Diarrhea leads to dehydration at the very least. That alone is serious.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't actually say, did I? My girl recovered with no ill effects but we did nearly lose her.

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Vaccinations aren't necessarily 100% but they're pretty good, so although it doesn't rule it out for sure, it definitely reduces the probability that it's parvo. As long as Dash doesn't begin vomiting as well and there's no blood in the stool, contacting the vet next week should be just fine. They may even agree to just look at a stool sample without having to see Dash again :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Sorry, Longblades...I got distracted midpost, took forever to come back and didn't see your post... :o Sorry to hear that you and your girl went through that! :grouphug: Parvo is definitely a scary disease!

Longblades
May 14th, 2011, 06:58 PM
We must have been posting at the same time. :)

It was in 1993 when parvo was sweeping across the continent. It was terrifying and no doubt I now over react to anything with similar symptoms. A few days of loose stool I personally would, and have, just moniter. For me it's when another symptom, like lethargy or loss of appetite is present too that I would be concerned. Or say, more than two days in a row of loose stool.

dashn'us
May 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. He seems to be eating and drinking fine. He still gets all excited when he hears a bag open, or his food being mixed. We did notice too, which might change things, is he has been licking his paws quite a bit lately. I read it could be a symptom to allergies. Has anyone else heard this?

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Paw licking can be a sign of allergies or just of irritation. Our hemlocks are dumping pollen right now and half the dogs are licking their paws. Two of them (the two most likely to spend their afternoon out in the yard under the hemlocks) have gooby eyes probably from irritation from the pollen.

Longblades
May 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Definitely licking paws could indicate an allergy. Its the season for all sorts of pollens. It could be responsible for the loose stool too. What's he been walking in? Pesticide bans do not apply to some large corporations or, of more concern to we dog owners, municipalities. Is he walking in a park that may have had something applied to the grass? I would tend to think a mild pesticide intake might be more likely to cause vomitting but, you never know.

Note: Your dog does not have to lick to absorb many things. Simply lying on the grass may enable pesticide to enter his system through the skin. Think how sparse his coat is on his rum, tum, tummy and groin area. You know the saying, skin is the biggest organ on your body.

Don't get scared. It's a possibility but likely remote, keep an eye out. I once plopped my 8 week old puppy down on sprayed grass, when I took her to meet my niece and nephew, and never noticed the signs. A nice lady walking by alerted me. Puppy was fine. Niece is bit daft though. LOL.

dashn'us
May 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Could the paw licking and the runny stool be related?

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Food allergies can result in both itchy paws and runny stools.

Longblades
May 14th, 2011, 07:20 PM
My goodness Hazel, you and I are sympatico tonight. :) Is this a sign my mind is as great as yours? Yay for me. You are always great.

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Holy catz, Longblades! You better hope for sumthin' better than that! :o :laughing: In some circles I'm considered incurably insane and spawn of the devil... :p

dashn'us
May 14th, 2011, 07:43 PM
LOL you guys are funny. We take him for lots of walks so at this point it could be anything. We will pay more attention to where we walks and stuff like that. We did notice though, He LOVES pine cones! Lol. I wonder if maybe some of them got sprayed with pesticides.

hazelrunpack
May 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Does he chew some of the scales off the pine cones? We've had the occasional tummy and intestinal upset from pine cone scales here :rolleyes: Our dogs eat the strangest things... :o

Rgeurts
May 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear your little one is having troubles. Just thought I'd throw in my :2cents:. We live with what seems almost constant runny, mucousy stools in this house! We believe Nanook has food allergies as well. He licks/chews his paws quite often. Thorin also has colitis. We have been battling the bad poos with both of them for a couple of weeks now. I think for Nanook, it was just a change in some of the veggies in his diet. For Thorin, it's usually stress related. He has also licked the pads of his front right foot raw (he has done this a few times when he's stressed out). He has had quite of bit of blood/mucous, but we had a fecal float and there was nothing in it to concern the vet :shrug:
I also took in a stool sample today as he had a lot of mucous again, but she wasn't worried. One thing for sure, I would have a fecal float done when you can. As Hazel said, Giardia can cause that and it's quite common, especially this time of the year with standing puddles of water. Nookie has had Giardia twice. As long as Dash is still eating/drinking, I wouldn't be too concerned, but I would definitely have a stool sample tested. I'm very surprised your vet didn't ask for one :confused:

SamIam
May 14th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I wasn't familiar with the med you are giving, and this is what I found: "If symptoms persist after using this product for 2 to 3 days, the diagnosis should be revised."
It would seem that your vet has confidence that your puppy's condition is not urgent and is trying to give you a low-cost solution to a simple problem without extra testing and expense unless it turns out necessary. Hopefully you see some improvement in Dash by monday. :fingerscr

14+kitties
May 14th, 2011, 09:34 PM
We did notice he has lost 3lbs though.

Over what span of time did he lose 3 pounds? That would be of concern to me if you hadn't changed his diet at all. Especially in a dog that should still be going through a growing stage @ 11 months.
I have a few concerns with a vet who prescribes meds without knowing what is going on.
A fecal should be done for sure. Also blood work would not be amiss. When was Dash last dewormed? As already pointed out - allergies could be of consideration.

dashn'us
May 15th, 2011, 07:33 AM
14+kitties, We don't know over what time he's lost the weight, but last time we were at the vet, He was 19lbs, this time he was 16.6. The last time we went to the vet was probably late last year.

As far as the de-worming, We use the stuff (cant think of the name) that they put on the back of his neck for fleas and ticks, and they said he treats heartworm as well so we start that back up for the summer/fall months.

Also, the time right now is 8:28am, on Sunday. On Saturday, He woke us up starting at 5am and had runny poop four times by 9am. Today, he hasnt went yet, and we also noticed last night he seemed to have some more energy. Maybe it was something he ate, or like Hazel said, something from a pine cone. He is a curious dog for sure, and puts just about everything in his mouth. Heck, When he was a puppy, he was addicted to ciggarettes! lol and he would try and pick up just about every single one he saw.

Unfortunately though, the vet we went to wasn't our regular vet as they're not open on Saturdays, and the one we went to closed at 12, so when they booked us in at 11, it took an hour just for the doctor to come, and at that point, it seemed as if they just wanted to make some quick cash, and get out of there at the regular time. The medicine, so far seems to making an improvement with his poop, but we'll just have to see. If he doesnt get better by Monday, or Tuesday at the latest, we till take him to our regular vet to get tests done

hazelrunpack
May 15th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Glad to hear he's feelin' a bit better! :thumbs up If it were us, we'd probably take in a stool sample even if he's improving--if it's a parasite, the symptoms often subside only to reappear at a later date more severely.

Just a caution--we use Heartgard for the dogs to prevent heartworms and it's clearly listed to prevent infestations of things like hookworms... But given enough of a parasite load in the environment, like we have here, the dogs still come down with the worms now and again. So it's not 100% effective. Merial, however, is very good about paying for treatment if that happens and the dogs have been on their product all year round (ours are).