Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

One of the Rescued Goldens-Winston

Mysts38
September 26th, 2004, 09:29 AM
met the neighbour today that has the golden he got from SMith falls..The boy is named Winston and hes 18 months old..his coat is a mess and his nails are long and hes so scared..

Steve said when they got him,he didnt even know how to walk outside..but now walks well on a leash...I suggested to Steve that when Winston is around the kids to give him LOTS of treats and praise..so that he associates the kids with GOOD things only

I also suggested to him,that let him take his time learning new things..like what a car is..what other dogs are etc..Winston was so fascinated by the baby and my friends puppy..he was straining to see..and stuck his head in the carraige and gave a sniff and a lick..

When his coat is better hes gonna be a gorgeous boy..they are all curly coated goldens..sadly Winston has no tail because of all the matting in it

Steve told us that that black lab that was in the mill had to be shot on site because he was that agressive.Steve said that Winston is one of the good pups..and that he saw the other dogs and was totally disgusted.

Its too bad my boy wasnt here to show Winston what its like to be a Golden... .. their hearts are in the right place...so at least Winston has someone to help him learn again what it is to be a gorgeous golden

chico2
September 26th, 2004, 04:15 PM
That is such a terribly sad case,at least Winston is out of there now and on the road to recovery.I hope he finds a good home in the future.
Does anyone know why this woman kept so many dogs,was she a BYB or a mill,did she sell dogs?

goldenblaze
September 27th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Yes she sold dogs. I live close to Smiths Falls and I am still waiting to here here name, from what I have heard around here she did not let people inside to see the place. I called the Laws ( SPCA) about the dogs and they me that the dogs must go where there are no children or other family pets. The dogs will need one on one for awhile and many will take time to adjust. Poor things I hope eveyone finds a home and starts their new life. Many were so small they thought they were around 3 months but were really 7-8 months.

tyr
September 27th, 2004, 10:16 PM
If you are interested in the full story it has been posted in the Newspaper Article forum. Puglover set a link inside her posting for everyone so that they could read the full article on exactly what happened. I am pretty sure that they released her name in the Citizen. I read this while I was at work and got all choked up. Poor babies..... :( :mad:

Can you believe that she is a licensed breeder for Goldens and that they let her keep 25 dogs/pups!!!?!!! They believed that she did not mean to harm the animals so that there was no need to punish her! If leaving them without food so that they had to eat the walls (which were black from dirt, urine, and feces) and having horrible gashes and bite wounds from being so close to each other because they had no room is not reason to take the dogs and her license I do not know what is! How did she not mean to harm the dogs - that extent of horrific neglect is inexcusable....that is deliberate pain.

I am so glad to hear that one of those Goldens has received a loving forever home. They deserve it - I was horribly afraid no one was going to bother no matter how sad the story because they would be afraid of the personality.

Your neighbour is an amazing person :)

Bugsy
September 28th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Her name is posted in the "57 golden retrievers rescued "
thread.

tyr
September 28th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Her name is Gloria Bennett - I just checked up on the latest news concerning the Goldens and the woman. Apparently all of the Goldens that were taken from her last week have been adopted and the SPCA recently went back to the womans house. They cut the big chain she had put across her fence to keep trespassers out and took the remaining 23 dogs. Originally they had said there were 25 dogs left to her but someone must haven taken two because there was only 23 left and the SPCA seized them. Yay!!!!! She still has to have her license revoked in my opinion....next step? That would be truly wonderful and satisfying :D