Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet-friendly Apartements?

Praellwyn
May 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hi!

I am looking for a pet-friendly apt. in or near to downtown Montreal?
I am currently sub-letting in what the tenant assured me was an accepting building but this, & my request for urgent repairs cost me a new lease. I have put off adopting a new dog because of this problem & I want somewhere that iknow will be understanding. Quebec's unofficial moving day is now 7 weeks away. Why don't landlords realise how responsable pet folk are? A few bad apples ruin it for everyone. Any help?

P.S. I have 1st hand experience that having a pet in your lease by name means nothing when going to the rental board for urgent repairs, no matter how loved she was by all. QC's rental board has a 1 1/2 yr. min. waiting time just for a hearing date for most tenant filings, inc. urgent repairs & resiliation of a lease for sexual assualt.

Thnx

http://apps.facebook.com/dogbook/profile/info/1276852

cell
May 12th, 2011, 02:55 PM
The only thing I can tell you is search really hard, online I found Craigslists to be good as well as Padmapper which helps you search by location.
It also depends what "Downtown" means to you. If you mean in the main downtown region or literally "downtown" as in Maisonneuve, St. Cats or Sherbrooke area between Atwater and Berri.
I use to live in NDG, which was pretty dog friendly, but there are some irresponsible owners. I just recently moved to Le Sud Ouest (between Pt St. Charles and Verdun) and I am loving it here so far. Park in front of my house and 15min walk to the Canal, 5 min walk to the St. Lawrence. If areas like Verdun or NDG are too far for you, you might end up having a harder time finding rentals. Downtown in the concrete jungle really isn't the best place for dogs if you can avoid it.
There are LOTS of signs up for rentals you should pick a few areas and start canvassing for numbers, plus searching online, pet friendly rentals do exist but like you said the crummy pet owners have ruined availability. You could also try putting a should out in the Craigslists pet section saying you are looking for a pet friendly rental and give a few requirements, someone might know of something and help you out.

Praellwyn
May 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Thnx

I lived in N.D.G. for 5 yrs. & the slumlords were definitely not dog-friendly. I just want somewhere with a responsable landlord near to downtown Montreal & so the cab fare to the DMV is affordable. I will keep trying.

luckypenny
May 13th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Have you tried around the Plateau area? It must be dog friendly as I see so many dogs when I'm there.

I read Scarlet's page. I'm so very sorry for your loss :(.

Praellwyn
May 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I live very close to the Plateau but it is dificult & $$$ + the ``pet-friendly`` janitor who assumed that I was a ``job perk`` is still in the area, after he told the detective that he would leave. For this exchange I trustingly didn`t press charges.

cell
May 15th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I advise checking out Le-sud-Ouest, Verdun, St. Henri area for sure then. Great walking in the area. The area is up-and-coming so rent is still reasonable, some properties are nicer then other. Always can try and negotiate some money for painting etc.