Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pediatric ("early") Neutering

maryevaoh
May 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I post this in the dog health forum, but I am curious about it's effects in both dogs and cats. My only experience with the procedure, up until now, is in an 8 month old male kitten that belongs to my cousin, who I stay with every weekend. The kitten was adopted from the SPCA at around 10 weeks, and had already been neutered. I thought it was a little bizarre, not knowing much about the procedure, but didn't concern too much over it. He is a reasonably healthy cat, although he had a respiratory infection soon after they adopted him (cured with medication). The one thing that bothers me, though, is how tiny this cat is. He is half, maybe a third of the size of all the male cats I've known. He doesn't look like a male cat, he looks female. Apparently, though, the people at the shelter said he was not the runt of the litter, and was perfectly normal in size. He also seems to lack a lot of the general instincts of a cat (when he goes outside, you can walk up to him in clear view, scoop him up, and the only thing he might do is try to "fight" you. He doesn't seem to realize he can run.)

Now, the reason I ask this, is because my grandfather will soon be having his purebred husky bred, and he is to keep his pick of the litter, but the breeder wants the pup to be spayed at 12 weeks of age. I'm concerned that the issues my cousin's cat faces might have been caused by his early neutering, and I'm wondering what research has been done on the effects of this. Also, would it be different in cats than in dogs? Any experience you have, please let me know. (:

maryevaoh
May 11th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Wow, I should read before I post. ^_^' Just realized someone posted asking about this a few threads earlier. Ahh well, if you have any input, please do say so anyway. :P

Winston
May 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Welcome to the site ! I just wanted to say that I dont think the size of the kitty is related to the early neutering. I had 2 kitties a brother and sister who were neutered and spayed at 6 months old. They weighed for their entire lives 6 pounds for the female and 8 pounds for the male. Their weight never changed and I used to feel so guilty because they were sooo tiny compared to many other cats but its just them and the way they are! :thumbs up

kathryn
May 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi there :thumbs up

Here is my post over there if that helps any

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1008888&postcount=13

I worked in a spay/neuter clinic for a while and still volunteer for many spay/neuter events in the area :)

For a dog of that breed, between 3-5 months would probably be a good time to have it done :thumbs up For kittens I do stick by the rule of 2 months and 2 pounds because yes it is a bit different in kitties but you probably wouldn't be getting the dog until about 3 months of age from a breeder any ways, so anytime after then once the pup has a chance to get situated at home should be fine.