Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Going "green"

Gail P
May 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I'll admit...I hate cutting grass at the best of times. Yesterday I thought was the best of times...still cool, no bugs, thought I'd get a jump on it and get at it before it got too long. Stupid mower wouldn't start and I was not going to wreck my bad back worse fighting with it and pulling, pulling, pulling. Soooo...I resorted to my faithful stand-by :)

But wait, what am I talking about "resorted to"...this is a top-of-the-line fully automatic self-propelled riding mower. Even if is is an older (1990) model.

This just might be the "green" mower of the future. It mows, never needs oil or gas, non-polluting...waste products can be fully recycled into fertilizer. :D

Melinda
May 5th, 2011, 10:32 AM
we use to stake a goat out daily to keep our 3 acre's cut on the farm *L* my uncle rents them out during the summer months.

Love4himies
May 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee-O-Gee
May 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM
What a perfect lawn mower :lightbulb: and I bet it loves you back! :lovestruck:

Goldfields
May 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM
My friend eyed off my overgrown front lawn and wanted to dump her mini ponies in it, Gail. Had to say no though because I've put toxic garden plants out there, so poor me had to tidy up the hard way. I love your lawn mower. Nicely marked with those 4 matching socks.

Gail P
May 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I love your lawn mower. Nicely marked with those 4 matching socks.

Thanks :) I should dig up a better picture of him to post though, he's a scruffy mess right now. They live out 24/7 with run-ins and the bush to shelter in so they get massive amounts of winter coat and it's really shedding right now. Plus he was covered with mud that I scraped loose with the shedding blade when I brought him out. I call them wild bush horses. You can see how wild he is :laughing: I din't even have ropes up across the driveway, he was just wandering around the front lawn while I kept an eye on him.

After I've let him out a few times when he sees me come outside he stands by the gate calling me. He's my good old boy, just turned 21 March 29. I've had him since he was a yearling.

Gail P
May 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
ok here are some other pictures of him. The first one wasn't taken by me, I can't remember which one of two photographers that were at my house that day took it but it was either Lyn Winans or Gord Barter. Friends who came by to get some dogsledding pictures a few years ago. Can't remember who took the last shot

Tanner on his 21st birthday, March 29, 2011

Gail P
May 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
A few more...don't even want to think about how long ago some of these were :eek:

Gail P
May 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Going back even further....

Okay, let's bring it forward a bit again. A few years ago, having fun swimming the horses.

And remember what I said about wild bush horses? Here they came breaking trail out of the bush when we got that 4' of snowfall over 2 days last December. The other horse is Ben, he used to be mine but I sold him and he's now boarded with me.

chico2
May 6th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Gail,I never thought I'd say this about a mower,but your is beautiful:cloud9:
Hubs cut all our grass yesterday,the one day with sun:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
May 6th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I remember that last pic :cloud9: chico's right--your lawn mower is beautiful! :flirt:

angeldogs
May 6th, 2011, 08:48 AM
That's a handsome mower you have there.and a reliable one.

Goldfields
May 7th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Wonderful photo's of a very special and handsome fellow, what a lot of great memories they must evoke for you. If I have this right his name is Tanner? Very versatile mount by the looks of things and I love those last two photo's.

Gail P
May 7th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone :thumbs up

Wonderful photo's of a very special and handsome fellow, what a lot of great memories they must evoke for you. If I have this right his name is Tanner? Very versatile mount by the looks of things and I love those last two photo's.

Yes Tanner, short for EV Tanner by Endeavor V by Huckleberry Bey (one of the Varian Arabian stallions...there's a Breyer model made of him, which of course I have). Tanner's not a purebred, his dam's only 3/4 so he's 7/8 arab and is registered as a part-bred.

He is very versatile. Over the years I've put miles and miles on him trail riding, shown him in a variety of english classes, western gaming, parades, hunted him once, he's been used for lessons and my daughter started showing him in lead line when she was only 2, before I got a couple of ponies for her and for lessons. He's pretty much a go anywhere, do anything kind of horse. He also almost made it onto the Mantracker show, they were considering filming in my area and a friend of mine knew Terry and the producers and was getting it set up for them to hire Tanner. But then they decided to film in a different area a little further away.

He's 21 now but still in perfect health. He's only retired because I stopped teaching and I only go for a very occasional trail ride now myself. Bad back and the heat bothers me a lot now so I don't really ride in the summer anymore. Once the cool weather is here in the fall I'm concentrating more on getting the dogs out on training runs so I really don't ride much at all.