Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

TPLO Surgery and Northumberland Veterinary Clinic

BeachBum
May 4th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm new here and very glad to have found this forum. Thanks for reading.

My dog Leo, a Lab/Shepherd cross, had CCL surgery two years ago, the traditional tie (on both sides of his left knee). He was doing really, really well until this past weekend when he started limping after one retrieve and a short swim in the bay. He was limping but didn't have his leg pulled up, he was putting some weight on it. On our short walk home I heard a very loud clicking with every step, coming, I assume, from his left knee. It felt like there was a lump on the side of his knee.

I waited two days, he was still limping and still clicking (though not as bad), so I made an appointment with my Vet for this Friday. I couldn't get one any sooner.

Please bear with me, I have a bunch of questions. I'm just looking for opinions, not hoping for a diagnosis over the internet.

What is the most likely cause of the clicking?

Does it sound like the tie has broken?

Does the lump on the inside of his knee sound like luxating patella? It's very hard, not like swelling.

Has anyone here been to the Northumberland Veterinary Clinic in Colborne, Ont? What do you think of them? Has anyone's dog had TPLO surgery there? I am thinking of switching to this Vet for a variety of reasons.

Thanks again

Deb

Edit: Title should say CCL Surgery not TPLO

Melinda
May 4th, 2011, 11:32 AM
hi, my lab/shep had tplo surgery this past january at the st. lawrence valley animal hosp. we discussed the two options and because a lab is a large active dog it was suggested we do the metal/screw surgery, we were told that doing the tie one would only last 2 yrs , IF that, because our dog is a large breed, active and swims/runs all the time. I asked how you tell if its broken (tie/line) and was told she would limp and I'd hear a faint "grinding" noise. I hope all turns out well for you.

kathryn
May 4th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure if this article applies to your case, but maybe this can offer some help? :shrug:

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/13_2/features/Canine-Ligament-Injury-Options_16198-1.html

Gail P
May 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM
My friend's mom used to live down that way and used the Northumberland Clinic for all her dogs. I've heard nothing but good about it from them.

reanne
May 5th, 2011, 01:34 AM
If the CCL surgery has failed, it might be time to consider TPLO. How old is your dog and how much does he weigh? Also, you might consider a knee brace. I have looked into them and they seem like a great option as a non-invasive solution, although my dog is older (and he is pretty big so I don't think that the CCL surgery would be a very viable option for him anyway).

I don't know anything about luxating patella so can't offer you any info there. It's great that you got 2 years out of the CCL surgery for an active dog! Hopefully your guy is okay! :)

BeachBum
May 5th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Thank you for the replies.

Melinda: Oh how I wish I had done more research before just going along with my Vet who suggested the tie surgery. She doesn't do it herself, but called in a surgeon who only does the tie. She did mention TPLO, but in a rather dismissive way :mad:

Kathryn: I would love it if this was an option, but I'm not sure.
When the surgeon operated on Leo he said that neither ligament was attached. One looked like it was atrophied, either from an injury when he was very young (I didn't get him until he was 11 months old) or he was born that way. The other was completely broken.

Gail P: Thanks, I've always heard good things about the clinic too, but am hoping to find someone who's dog has had TPLO surgery there. Their prices are so much cheaper and you know what they say about getting what you pay for.

Reanne: He'll be 4 in June (approx) and he is a lean 73lbs. I've wondered about the knee brace too, but my question is, can a non-surgical method work for a dog who has neither ligament intact? :shrug:

Melinda
May 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Price does vary, but the way we were told it was that for the "tie" in surgery it would be 1,300. and the tplo surgery 3100., it is guarantee'd, the tie in wasn't and they said it was a 90% probability that it would have to be done again with in the next year or two, she showed us detailed specs on each operation for us to decide, my deciding factor was when I asked her "if this were your dog, which would you do?" and I went by that. I don't understand your vet not giving you choices, or rather explaining your choices to you? If nothing else then the surgeon should have. Have you taken your dog back to see whats up with the limp?