Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help: multiple cat issues

timoramoan
April 24th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hi!

ok I need some advice. I think I know what's going on with my cat and hopefully its nothing more...

So last week we ran out of food and had to grab something from the corner store. Grabbed a bag of whiskas. Not my cats normal brand. Well, one was totally fine but the other (all white long hair) had terrible diarrhea. In one night he managed to mess him self 4-5 times. vomit twice, Ruin a duvet cover, his cat castle and we were forced to bath him 4 times!

Now I figure he didn't agree with the food, and that's what caused his accidents. The next day he was a little worn out but by the end of the night he was totally active and fine.

The following day however he started sneezing... multiple sneezing, endless sneezes! Now, thinking back, when I was running one of his baths, not having cat shampoo, I put in a little hand soap in the water to help with the clean up. Not directly on him and only a little.

Would it be safe to say he is allergic to the soap and needs a proper bath with cat shampoo?

He has no other symptoms, active, affectionate, just sneezing a lot.

Please advise.

Thanks

Timo

BenMax
April 24th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Stress can bring out rhino. Has your cat ever had rhino before? If so, then it may be an onset of the virus. If you see any excretions coming from the nose or leaky eyes, you may want to consult with a vet. A cat cold (if that is what it is) can either clear up on it's own or if advanced or the immune system is low - may require vet intervention. It is curable as long as it does not go into the lungs.

Just watch for coughing, excessive sneezing, runny eyes, nose and of course ensure that he/she is drinking and eating.

timoramoan
April 24th, 2011, 10:36 AM
no rhino, no excretions, just dry sneezing. I'll keep my eye's on him though....

thanks

BenMax
April 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
There are many amazing cat savvy people here. I am certain that they will chime in and give you some advice.

kathryn
April 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM
no rhino, no excretions, just dry sneezing. I'll keep my eye's on him though....

thanks

Any chance some water or soap bubbles got up his nose? Did you thoroughly rinse his bum? Maybe if some of the soap smell was still on there, he went to clean himself and got the soap smell up his nose and is now just going achoooo to get rid of it.

What scent was the soap?

Oh, and I should mention that once I ran out of my cats holistic food and it was a Sunday afternoon so my mom ran up to the corner discount mart and got Meow Mix... bad idea. I was cleaning up orange vomit for 3-4 days and several of my kitties got messed up and had problems too, they resolved in about a week. From now on if we EVER run of out food for some stupid reason, I will cook them a homemade meal before giving them cheapo food.

14+kitties
April 24th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Better question would be why are you bathing your cats? Do you have allergies to them? Do they get outside and roll in mud? I'm not quite clear on that.
Cats are fastidious at keeping themselves clean. There is never ever a reason to bathe them unless they have been outside rolling in mud. Other than that they groom themselves numerous hours a day to clean themselves. By bathing them you are stripping away their natural oils in their skin and drying them out. That can/will/may cause dry, flaky skin which may actually make any allergy issues worse.
Is it possible when you gave the cat a bath you did not get it completely dry and it caught a draft? Cats, if bathing is a total necessity, need to be dried completely. You can not leave the cat damp. That will and can lead to some pretty serious illness. Especially if the cat is allowed outside in this damp weather.
If this is not a possibility then a trip to the vet is in order. We can not diagnose this on line.

sugarcatmom
April 24th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Better question would be why are you bathing your cats? Do you have allergies to them? Do they get outside and roll in mud? I'm not quite clear on that.

My understanding is that the white long-haired cat was given a bath because of the diarrhea from the new food.

14+kitties
April 24th, 2011, 03:20 PM
My understanding is that the white long-haired cat was given a bath because of the diarrhea from the new food.

:headslap: :o See, that's what happens when I am in a hurry and read quickly. Sorry. ........

chico2
April 24th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I know what a mess a white cat can be in if he has diarreha,I too have a white cat,but did not find it necessary to bath him,just a lot of cleaning with baby-wipes.
I think if he continues to sneeze,the safest thing is to take him to the vet....is his poop ok now?

timoramoan
April 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone,

Yeah, he seems to be going regularly now. It's just the sneezing. I agree that the soap has something to do with this, and yes it was scent (watermelon).

And yes, bathing him was absolutely necessary! Just imagine the worst case scenario covering a white long haired cat, WHO also has NO idea how to clean him self. Super sweetheart of a cat, but can't clean himself.

It's been awhile since I've had to visit the vet, has anyone had to get medicine for anything similar? how much should I be prepared to spend? Also, I've heard of "home" remedies that would work if it is just allergies.

kathryn
April 24th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks everyone,

Yeah, he seems to be going regularly now. It's just the sneezing. I agree that the soap has something to do with this, and yes it was scent (watermelon).

And yes, bathing him was absolutely necessary! Just imagine the worst case scenario covering a white long haired cat, WHO also has NO idea how to clean him self. Super sweetheart of a cat, but can't clean himself.

It's been awhile since I've had to visit the vet, has anyone had to get medicine for anything similar? how much should I be prepared to spend? Also, I've heard of "home" remedies that would work if it is just allergies.

Yeppp I am pretty sure that watermelon scented soap would probably not agree well with a kitties nose. I have to clean my one cat all the time because she is very obese (for no real reason) and is unable to reach her rear end. I wash her in Tropiclean brand pet soaps because they are very safe. Earthbath also makes good pet soaps, but again this is only an "as needed" thing.

I would say, if this sneezing does not resolve within the next 24-48 hours, might as well go to the vets just incase. If you haven't been to the vet in the past year or two, it does not hurt to get for a checkup. I would say, barring any major problems, expect to spend about 70-$80 wherever you are for a checkup and if you need some kind of medicine for the sneezing.