Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very noisy Siamese

SJK
September 25th, 2004, 08:27 AM
I'm having a big problem with one of my Siamese. She is 16 years old and has started crying(howling) all night long. Thought it was behavioural at first but now not so sure. She's been an inside cat all her life but accidently discovered the outside a little while ago. I thought it was all about wanting to go out but now she howls outside too. (I take her out when I'm out) The vet said she is in perfect physical health. He gave me phenobarb to try ...that worked for 3 nights but then stopped. I increased it a little last night but the howling got worse. I've tried Amitriptolene and Diazapam. Nothing has worked!!! I'm going insane through lack of sleep!!! I love her very much but I'm now faced with making a very difficult decision:-( I can't function at my job with no sleep. She's making my life a living hell. Any suggestions???

Joanne

Cflat
September 25th, 2004, 09:09 AM
I have some friends who had a very senior cat do this as well. Neru was 21 so anything at all he did as long as he was breathing was an accomplishment! I would almost guess that your cat has become senile. Other than drugging her at night, I'm not sure there is an answer to stop the meowing.

SJK
September 25th, 2004, 09:18 AM
I have been drugging her at night :( It's not working...she fights it every step of the way:-/ I've been thinking senility as well :(

Joanne

Lucky Rescue
September 25th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Does she sleep all day and evening, then howl all night? Is she playful? Try getting her some new toys and playing with her before bedtime. My own cat was still playful at 19 yrs old, although he started running into a closet after eating, facing the wall and howling for 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

It's all said that canned, beef flavored cat food is a kind of soporific for cats, so you can try feeding her that after playtime and just before bedtime..

Can't hurt to try these things.

I have found that drugs of the type your vet is giving can make cats even MORE agitated. I would stop that.

Also, if you don't already, try leaving some lights on the house. If your cat is a bit senile and it's pitch dark she may forget where she is and howl.

JMO

SJK
September 25th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the advice...I'll try the canned beef food and leaving a light on tonight. She doesn't play anymore unfortunately. She also seems to be oblivious to things around her......such as the vaccuum cleaner doesn't scare her anymore. This all escalated when I went back to work at the beginning of Sept. So now I'm not home all day to have her howl at me to take her out....staying awake :confused:

Joanne

Lucky Rescue
September 25th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Could she be deaf? This can cause howling as well, as she could not hear herself.

chico2
September 25th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I was thinking the same,she is probably deaf and her eyesight might be going...a friend of mine has a 19yr old Siamese,she gets to do and eat whatever she wants,she's more or less deaf and her eyesight is going....and she's VERY loud....they get confused,don't know what is happening to them and meowing,just comes natural,unfortunately :(

SJK
September 25th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Hi

I did a few little tests for her hearing....she seems to hear fine. Her eyes seem to have a glazed look to them though. She also does seem to be very confused :( I've had her outside with me almost all day and haven't let her sleep at all.....hoping that she might sleep through the night tonight....she's been trying to take a nap for the last few hours, I won't let her.

Joanne

SJK
September 25th, 2004, 07:49 PM
I guess that's possible...I'll ask my vet.

Joanne

Cinnabear
September 26th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Aren't siamese supposed to be loud. Mine howls at night too. But I guess we are used to him. Good luck on your solution.

SJK
September 26th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Yes but not 24 hours a day at a rate of once every three seconds. I've had 8 Siamese over the last 20 years....none were ever like this one. I didn't know she was in the house for 15+ years. I have 3 more siamese here now and all 3 are older than this one.

She (and I ) slept for about 5 hours last night.....she tried desparately to get some sleep before I went to bed. I kept waking her up. It's very time consuming but it worked. I also left a light on but I don't think that was the reason why she slept.

Joanne

badger
September 26th, 2004, 08:16 AM
You know, this may be a long shot, but have you ever thought of giving your siamese some nutritional supplements, namely Omega 3 fatty acids (mostly fish oils), which have been proven to affect mental functioning. I know some people who are using them for depresson.
Perhaps some animals, like humans, run out of certain nutrients in old age or don't process them as well. I use one called Vet Solutions for my cats, but not for this particular problem.
Has she been tested for hyperthyroidism (common in older cats)?
Milk has sleep-inducing qualities, if she can tolerate it.
Have you thought of putting her in a small, secure room at night, with the lights off?
The drugs you have been giving her sound really nasty, I hope you can find another solution.

SJK
September 26th, 2004, 08:23 AM
I've been trying to get her to drink milk with ground flax in it...she drinks it sometimes. Where can I get fish oils? I didn't give her any drugs last night because they just don't seem to be working. I'm very much into nutritional suppliments for horses but don't know much about them for cats.

Joanne

chico2
September 26th, 2004, 08:32 AM
She could also be in pain,but I am sure your vet has checked into the possibility.
My friends 19yr old Siamese is arthritic,she is just skin and bones,but is still the boss of the cat-household.
To me it's difficult to see her struggle,first with near blindness and then her confusion,but my friend is not able to let her go yet,aside from meowing,she is a regular Velcro-cat often found on my friends shoulders like a Boa :D
If I were you I would try the fish-oil,it cannot hurt,unlike some other meds.

chico2
September 26th, 2004, 08:38 AM
SJK,go to any Health-Food store,they usually have a whole section for cats/dogs and at least in my store,they have very knowledgable staff.
If your cats meds do nothing good,I would definetly take her off...

badger
September 26th, 2004, 09:03 AM
The stuff I give my cats has other vitamins as well. Straight tuna oil is a good idea, but I think in this case I would go with some kind of balanced product, in case she is deficient in other areas. Which doesn't rule out tuna! I give my cat flax seed too, ground to a powder; I mix a quarter teaspoon with his food.
Natural remedies always take a little longer to work, so be patient. Good luck.

SJK
September 26th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Could I feed the tuna as well? There are no health food stores around where I live. are there any human brands that I could give her. The Dominion grocery store seems to have a big selection of natural products. I'll look tomorrow.

Joanne

chico2
September 26th, 2004, 09:36 AM
My cats get tuna treat ever now and then,I would not give it in large amounts,or every day....but my cats love it.
I was told here once and I don't remember why,but the oil in a people tuna-can,is not very good :confused:
How about Codliver-oil???Good for people,what about for cats???
Badger,I would like to supplement my cats diets,right now I don't give them anything...can you give some suggestions?
What is Flax-seeds good for??? Omega-3?

Lucky Rescue
September 26th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Don't give your cat milk. Most cannot digest the lactose and end up with loose stools.

You can also try Rescue Remedy, a natural substance that can ease anxiety and can be found in health food stores. "Feliway" can also help.

badger
September 26th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Chico, I am absolutely not an expert. But, I do give my cats two or three drops of this Vet Solution Omega-3 Fatty Acid Liquid. It's in a pump bottle, probably expensive (it was given to me) but lasts forever. It also has Vitamin D, E, and A. The only claims it makes is for improvement in skin and coat.
At the moment I'm feeding Innova, which, it claims, has up to 8% Omega 3 and 6, plus Viamin A. So maybe, in a healthy cat, supplements are unnecessary if you provide good food. But in older cats (as in older humans) I reckon a little boost doesn't hurt.
I started giving Badger - who is probably 8 or 9 - flax seed (Omega 3 and 6) for his digestive system, which isn't great, along with slippery elm, which is good for indigestion or any inflammation, and sometimes pumpkin. He gets the drops too.
I would think human grade cod liver oil capsules, broken open into their food, would be fine for cats, any fish oil really (although I heard the same thing about tuna, don't know the reasons). The human grade omega supplements seem to use salmon oil alot, but it's pricier.
In the case of SJK's siamese, I might give the maximum dose, as far as I know large doses are not toxic and both pet-grade and human-grade kinds would be screened for the crap that seems to be accumulating in our fish - heavy metals, PCB's, etc.

bbv
September 26th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I have been giving my dogs flax seed oil daily for 6 weeks now and I have seen great results in my new dog Roxi. She came to me with a terrible skin problem and a great deal of hair loss and she is looking wonderful now! I get the oil from Zehrs (grocery store) but I have seen it in wal-mart and Zellers.
It costs about $15 and lasts for 6 weeks.

chico2
September 26th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Thank's for the Info,I bought a bottle of something similar for myself at a health-food store,unfortunately I gagged every time I took it and it ended up in the garbage,it tasted awful and was too oily.
My cats are healthy and eat good food,wet and dry...but Rocky(8yrs)has slowed down a bit,is a very picky eater,more often than not he'll turn his nose up at whatever wet food I buy and I thought he might need some supplements.

SJK
September 26th, 2004, 08:03 PM
I've tried Rescue Remedy...didn't work :( Will look for some kind of fish oil tomorrow. Thanks!

Joanne

SJK
September 27th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I found something at Walmart called Triple Fish Oil....sounds like it's exactly what I need. Now to get her to eat it :rolleyes:

tried rescue remedy again last night...she slept the whole night....but I don't really know if it's the RR that did it. It seems like she's going through yet another personality change :-/

Joanne

Lucky Rescue
September 27th, 2004, 07:41 PM
How did you give the Rescue Remedy? It may need to be given 3 or 4 times a day for a week or two to have good results.

SJK
September 27th, 2004, 07:55 PM
I held her mouth open and put a few drops in....she's very easy to handle like that luckily.

Joanne