Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bc/lab Cross

testbeaker
September 25th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Hi

Not sure if I'm posting this to the right forum.

We have just recently adopted a 9week old BC/lab cross from THS.

Junior came with some unwanted friends (fleas)

We have taken him to the vet and they put the med on the back of his head.

They told my husband that in a day this would kill the fleas.

But what about the rest of our home?

And when is ok to give him a bath after this treatment?

Be prewarned I'm likely to be posting many questions as this is our first dog, but we are loving every minute of it :)

chico2
September 25th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Testbreaker,welcome to the Forum!!You came to the right place,lot's of knowledgeable dog-owners here that can help with any questions.
I am surprised the THS would give you the dog with fleas,not having done anything about it :eek:
Someone will come around answering you questions,just keep coming back :)

anniebananie
September 25th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Hi, and welcome. I use Advantage on my two Jack Russells and three cats. You can bathe them when using this - but wait for a couple of days ofter an application. I was told that as any fleas the house hatch they would hop on the animals and bite the dust - so to speak. As I use this all summer I don't have an inside problem - thank goodness. I also own a steam cleaner and put flea killer in the water to clean the carpets (plus shampoo of course) at the start of summer and at the end. The fleas will vanish outside after the first frost.

Anne :)

anniebananie
Hi, and welcome. I use Advantage on my two Jack Russells and three cats. You can bathe them when using this - but wait for a couple of days ofter an application. I was told that as any fleas the house hatch they would hop on the animals and bite the dust - so to speak. As I use this all summer I don't have an inside problem - thank goodness. I also own a steam cleaner and put flea killer in the water to clean the carpets (plus shampoo of course) at the start of summer and at the end. The fleas will vanish outside after the first frost.

anniebananie

Cflat
September 25th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a cool puppy! We do like to see pics ;)
Are you noticing fleas in the house?
What you can do is buy a good premise spray like Zodiac Endalsect, spray your home and go away for the afternoon. You don't have to leave the home but it is a powerful insecticide. It will kill adults and their eggs which is important because they are prolific breeders and can multiply in scary amounts of time.

BigDog
September 25th, 2004, 08:22 PM
I've heard that fleas don't live long if they are not on the animal, so if your dog has anti-flea dust or something on his body, fleas that are on the floor at the moment will not be able to infect him again.
But of course you don't want to wait until they die on their own :D , I would definetely clean the house with some insecticide spray or a simple mix of anti-flea shampoo and water.