Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can they do that?

Sneaky2006
September 25th, 2004, 03:22 AM
My sister (one of) has a pit mix named Oreo and she recently attacked and killed a neighbors pet rabbit.
The neighbor had the rabbit outside on a leash and Oreo squeezed through the railing of my sisters deck and escaped. She is a very well behaved dog other than her trying to squeeze out a few times, only being successful twice.
I do feel sorry for the owners of the rabbit but they said they're going to pursue this and try to have Oreo put to sleep because of this. Is that even possible? I mean all dogs try to attack wild rabbits around here (I'm sure other places too), how was Oreo supposed to know the difference between a wild one and someones pet?

Lucky Rescue
September 25th, 2004, 10:35 AM
how was Oreo supposed to know the difference between a wild one and someones pet?

She can't, and no dog can, unless the rabbit is in their own home and even then some dogs have prey drive that is off the scale and can never be trusted around small animals.

I"m sorry the poor bunny was attacked and the fence should have been more secure, but prey animals like rabbits should not be left unprotected outside. Cats, dogs, foxes, and even birds of prey may well attack it.

Trying to get a dog killed for this is insane. One of my cats AND my dog were attacked by a neighbour's dog. Although I was very unhappy over it, dogs ARE predators and carnivores and do fight. This is their nature.

This mentality of killing a dog for an attack on a cat or rabbit, etc. is part of the present trend to see dogs as kind of living teddy bears who should never EVER show prey drive or aggression under any circumstances..

tyr
September 27th, 2004, 03:07 PM
I agree - there should be no way that they should be able to do this to your dog. I am sure if they try to put up a fight and have your your poor puppy put to sleep for doing what is natural to him, they will not succeed. I realize that a pet is like a child but a rabbit is small prey to a dog. If they knew that there was a dog owner next door they should have been more careful and taken the necessary precautions to make sure their little rabbit would not be harmed. Leaving him unattended in a back yard where anything could have preyed on it was poor judgement to begin with. I feel bad for their loss but it was their irresponsibility that caused the loss - it could have been prevented. Your dog should not have to suffer for this.

I guess this makes me a little heated because I would never leave my cats outside unattended and if I did and something like that happened I would be upset with myself more than the other animal. Maybe I am a little biased....I don't know.

Sneaky2006
September 27th, 2004, 03:14 PM
The rabbit wasn't unattended, sorry if I didn't make that part clear. :o
It was on a leash outside with the owner. Oreo jumped from the deck and straight to the rabbit without stopping. I don't know if the neighbor didn't have a chance to pick up the rabbit or maybe she was scared and just left it there... I don't know, I wasn't there. As far as I know the neighbor doesn't like Oreo... being part Pit Bull and all.

tyr
September 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Oh! I thought it was unattended! I feel really awful for the owner now! They saw their little baby being killed. That is so sad :(

I still stand strong to my opinion that your dog should not have to suffer for his natural instinct. He was only doing what a large dog does when something prey-like comes into a reachable distance.

Have you had time to sit and talk with them about what happened? I know that they are probably very hurt right now, but maybe the two of you can come to some kind of understanding - to mend any kind of pain and anxiety.

How are you feeling? Are you worried at all? Or do you think that your pup is safe from harms way?

I think he is safe - I do not think that he can be held accountable in such a way.

Sneaky2006
September 27th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Oreo is my sister's dog. As far as I know they don't speak with the neighbor. They did right after it happened and my sister of course felt horrible but it ended up being a fight and they haven't spoken since... her last words were, that dog is gonna be put to sleep!
I'm thinking it was just her way of coping with it, because my sister hasn't heard anything... no animal control, no police or anything was involved.. I'm just hoping it will stay that way.

tyr
September 27th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I am sure it was a comment of anger without any sincerity behind it if she has not heard from anyone regarding this. Although, if she had contacted someone maybe nothing came of it because they knew that it is unethical to do such a thing.