Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anxiety about Giving Up Cats

critters
April 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM
I am moving from a house to a condo on the 12th floor and struggling with whether I should take my cats. Love them dearly, but they are mostly outdoors and climbers, so I'm worried they could jump and I couldn't live with that fear. Perhaps it's time to find them a loving home with a yard if possible. This will be so very hard to do as I've had them both for 10 years and they are happy, healthy, affectionate and inseparable. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar dilemma and where I should start in the way of re-homing my furry friends.

14+kitties
April 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
I am moving from a house to a condo on the 12th floor and struggling with whether I should take my cats. Love them dearly, but they are mostly outdoors and climbers, so I'm worried they could jump and I couldn't live with that fear. Perhaps it's time to find them a loving home with a yard if possible. This will be so very hard to do as I've had them both for 10 years and they are happy, healthy, affectionate and inseparable. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar dilemma and where I should start in the way of re-homing my furry friends.

It is possible for cats to be completely indoor cats and to be happy and well adjusted. In fact these days unless you can guarantee your cats are 100% safe outdoors at ALL times that is what I advocate. Your cats would adjust. To start their new indoor life you could use a spare room that is just for them. You can have high shelves, tall kitty condos, windows so kitties can look outside (kept closed of course), and lots of hiding places. At first there may be some grumbling from them but with time I would venture to say they would adjust well. I have yet to have a formally outdoor cat not adjust to indoor living.
As for your concern about them falling are you planning on having your patio doors open all the time? There is pet safe screening that can be used on your doors and windows so the cats can not escape. You can also screen in your entire patio rather economically. I'll try to do a search for you and see if I can find what I'm looking for.
The alternative for trying to rehome two 10 year old cats is not something I want to think about. :(

Melinda
April 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
unless its a friend you know closely, it will be very hard to rehome one 10 yr old cat let alone two of them. They will do quite well in a condo and will adjust given time and attention. Like posted above, get them climbing toys, towers, kitty condo's and they'll quite happily adjust to being indoor cats. good luck.

chico2
April 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
I agree with the other posters,cats will do very well,as long as they are with the person who loves them and they are used to.

2 10-yr old cats would more than likely be split up in a shelter-situation and if not adopted out,in some cases be put down.

I am not trying to scare you,but I don't understand why you would even consider giving your cats up,they'll get used to beeing in-doors eventually,might even like it better.

Love4himies
April 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM
I would do as 14+ recommended and screen in your balcony. Your cats love you dearly and to give them up, unless it was to somebody they know, would only put them into a depression (think about giving up your kids for adoption), as would separating them.

critters
July 1st, 2011, 01:06 PM
Just want to thank everyone for helping me through my delimma. It meant a great deal to me. After 3 months of soul searching, my nephew has very generously offered to take my 2 cats! He has a small farm, a very busy guy who may not have time to pamper them the way I do, but he loves critters, so I feel comfortable knowing they will be much happier in this environment over a high-rise condo, and will be well cared for.

I want to thank him in the form of a starter kit of food and litter. Their shots are also up to date but can anyone suggest some additional ways I could show my appreciation to my nephew for taking in my kitties? I feel so grateful to him and want to show him. Also, I would like to make a little list of their personalities, etc. so that he knows what to expect. Any ideas?
Thanks

mikischo
July 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
I'm glad you found a happy solution for your kitties.

I can't think of any other ideas of what you can do to express your gratitude. Perhaps someone else will have some suggestions.

However, I did want to throw in a word of caution in case you have not already thought about this. I would strongly recommend that your nephew keep the kitties inside for at least three weeks to a month until they are completely comfortable and fully recognize that he is their new owner and this is their new home. Then gradually start letting them out for longer periods. Otherwise there is a strong possibility of them wandering off in search their familiar territory and being lost.

marko
July 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
I'm glad you found a happy solution for your kitties.

I can't think of any other ideas of what you can do to express your gratitude. Perhaps someone else will have some suggestions.

However, I did want to throw in a word of caution in case you have not already thought about this. I would strongly recommend that your nephew keep the kitties inside for at least three weeks to a month until they are completely comfortable and fully recognize that he is their new owner and this is their new home. Then gradually start letting them out for longer periods. Otherwise there is a strong possibility of them wandering off in search their familiar territory and being lost.

+1 Mikischo - very sound advice!