Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hands Up-if your dog was ever attacked by another dog..

Akeeter
September 25th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Here's my list: for my N. M. Akita
1)Akita attacked @ 3 months by an adult F. Rotti in a leash free area.
2)Harrassed repeatedly on leash as a puppy by a neighbours off leash adult intact Rotti, until he pinned it.
3)Attacked by an off leash Airedale terrier , while he was on leash.
4)Bitten by a stray F. Lab crossbred while he was on leash.

Here's my list for my S. F. Lab.
1)Attacked by 2 adult Great Danes @ 7 months ( she was spayed). She was on leash, they were too until they broke away from their tiny, female owner.
2)Attacked by an off leash male intact German Shorhaired pointer. She was on leash, spayed & still under a year.

I didn't include any Pit Bull or Staffy attacks, because we have never had one.

Loki
September 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM
These are just the dogs that actually bit, or tried to bite. I'm not going to list the countless times that an unleashed dog harassed me in a leash-only park:
1 shih tzu.
1 Great Dane.( Repeatedly tried to get at my dog. In her defence, she was on meds at the time. She seems like a sweet dog, since the owner switched medications.)
1 Boston Terrier.
1 Collie.
1 Beagle.
2 Jack Russells ( 2 seperate dogs/incidents).
1 Spaniel.
In every case, except the Dane, the dogs(that attacked) were unleashed in a leash-only park. The Dane over-powered her owner( frail old man).

skunkney
September 26th, 2004, 01:16 AM
When I owned my dog, I always wondered what I would do if another dog attacked her and was actually going to inflict major injury or even kill her. What can someone do if this happens? I often thought of carrying bear spray, or something that made a loud noise, but what can someone legally do to stop the attacker before it does irreversable harm? Obviously, if it's a pit on the attack, theres not much you can do.

Loki
September 26th, 2004, 10:18 AM
A digital camera. Seriously, you'd be amazed at how much more responsibly people behave when they think they are being photographed. I know it can't really help against strays, but the negligent dog-owners usually get their dog under control pretty quick.

The thought of people arming themselves to go on walks is sad and a little scary. I'm not sure if you read any of the stories from the aftermath of BSL in Germany. No good can come from weapons. I think that education and getting dogs away from abusive/ irresponsible owners/ breeders is the only cure.

glasslass
September 26th, 2004, 02:53 PM
When Den-Den was attacked last July by the two neighbor dogs coming through the fence, I didn't have time to look for or grab a weapon. I just ran screaming and shouting like a banshee straight at them and fortunately, they dropped Den-Den and hightailed it back through the fence. You have to be prepared before the attack. When it happens, it's so quick, there's no time to look for something.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
September 26th, 2004, 03:42 PM
The only *true* attacks I had were from the Lab that lived down the street. Her owners let her loose on their front property, as soon as Suki and I passed by, the Lab went after us and bit Suki on the back. She let out a horrific shriek but luckily Suki was alright. I wish I saw that this dog was loose before I walked by, though.

The other true attack was last winter Hamish was attacked by a JRT. When Hamish fought back, *I* was accused of having a vicious dog! It's like accusing a woman of assault if she fought back if a guy grabbed her :rolleyes: Both dogs were unhurt, but still, I was really peeved off at the owner for being an idiot.

On seperate occassions, we've been rushed at by a VERY aggressive Boxer and Labrador. I managed to scare the dogs off before anything happend, but the incidents left me shaken for a while.

bosco
September 26th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Off-leash dog parks are an invitation for disaster (and ignorant dog owners). I strongly oppose them. There is no reason why a dog of mine should run around with dogs that I do not know.

Here's some instances that I can recall happening to me or near me:

1) My golden was attacked by a territorial Wolfhound. I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner for not turning on the electric fence. However, the dog would have probably run right through it anyway.

2) My same golden was attacked by an enraged Shetland Sheepdog. Again, it had something to do with an electric fence.

3) A dachshund was attacked by a pack of corgis. He was on-leash, the others were not. The owner's head was, predictably, in the clouds.

4) I've seen several German Shepherd disagreements. One shepherd attacked a narcotics detection Labrador. What a shame.

Also, I have heard some not-so-pleasant experiences from the Pit Bull sector, of their dogs threatening eachother. But, this is to be expected because Pit Bulls should NOT be kept together unattended with other dogs. When I take the dogs out, I usually carry a stick so I can protect my own dog.

LL1
September 26th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Only time my dogs were attacked was by a young intact male black lab.

melanie
September 27th, 2004, 01:16 AM
quote'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off-leash dog parks are an invitation for disaster (and ignorant dog owners). I strongly oppose them'

i say no their not, i have been to so many of these area over the years and can say that we never had a huge problem with any one, yeah sure the odd fight with another dog but gosh thats what dogs do, and it is a form of communication for them never forget dogs are natural animals, they seem to be getting wrapped in cotton wool these days. and i have met nasty dogs in parks, yards, on the street, not all bad dogs migrrate to the park, they are everywhere. not all off leash areas are bad, im sorry you seem to have had a bad experience but that is not to say that they are all the same. i would feel terrible if i did not have anywhere for my girl to go and have a good run, dogs and space is natural in my opinion.

we have been 'attacked' for want of a better word. but i have GSD girl , yeah sure she has started a few scraps, when another dog is with us she really does not like. but most dog fights we have been in are really only ever a tussle, some noise and usually the dogs are seperated and off every one goes. in 8yrs of having my girl i have only met a few really vicious dogs, yeah some at the dog park, but generally once they are seperated they dont go in for a secound round.

i also always wear sturdy work boot to the park or anywhere i take her, simply put if a dog attackes us not only does it have to deal with charlie it has to deal with me and my boots. yes she has been attacked by some pretty nasty dogs but we always manage to get rid of them without any injuries working together and she has never been hurt by another dog

Shelby
September 27th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Thankfully, Izzy and Wilson have never been attacked by another dog.

But Izzy did get kicked by a horse the other day (totally her fault, she kept licking the horses back legs and pulling on it's tail, luckily it was just a gentle warning "tap", enough to scare the life out of her and not go near the horses again!)

jansis4
October 8th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Hi,
New to this web site but got hooked quickly. We had a mixed male dog aged 9 in our fenced in back yard who liked to bark at passerbys on the sidewalk outside our fence. A pit bull came charging through our fence and grabbed our dog on the top of his head. I was 8 months pregnant at the time in the yard with our dog with my 3 year old son. I started screaming and my husband ran outside and was punching the dog to get him off our dog. He finally stopped when he had pulled off a piece of our dog's scalp, then spit it out and his owners got him. He was on leash but had gotten away from his owner. We found out his owners were training him for fighting.

In a barkpark our mini dachshund was attacked by a small terrier. Neither were hurt.

heeler's rock!
October 8th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I have to say that dog parks here in Calgary, are really good. I have never had a bad experience, with ANY of my dogs. I think they are a great place to socialize your dog and get it used to other dogs and people.

Off-leash dog parks are an invitation for disaster (and ignorant dog owners). I strongly oppose them. There is no reason why a dog of mine should run around with dogs that I do not know.

I can think of a dozen reasons why your dog should run around with other dogs it doesn't know, the most important being socialization. It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience at your parks.....

I 100% agree with you Melanie. Too many people are treating their dogs like cute, cuddly little fur balls, and not like the animals they are. Sure, love your dog and give it treats and spoil it, but why treat it like a frail little baby? Animals have been quite good over the years sorting out their own issues. Not every growl is a dog fight, most of the time growls are warnings to the other dog. Most dogs comply. Dogs are animals. I hate it when owners of little dogs, pick their dogs up when they see me coming with my 3. That doesn't help it be more social.....

Writing4Fun
October 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Our first dog, Murphy, was attacked while we were out for a bike ride. She was trotting along on-leash. A large GSD came running off his property and jumped her. The owner was mortified, put his dog in the house, and let Murphy cool off in the river that ran through his property. Very nice gentleman.

Phoebe's first "attack" doesn't really count. In puppy kindergarten, during free play time at the end of class, another very "confident" pup came over and jumped her. She didn't appreciate it, and told the pup so, but the other pup wasn't listening. We tried to let them work it out on their own, but it just escalated until the two were cat-fighting (a whirl of flying fur and noise) under a set of chairs. By the end of the lessons, though, the other pup was getting the message much better. ;)

pitbulliest
October 9th, 2004, 12:16 AM
My Miniature Pinscher (RIP little buddy)..was attacked by a Giant Schnauzer...and my Pit Bull was attacked by a Rottweiller and a Jack Russel Terrier

krdahmer
October 9th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Now why wasn't that a headline.... 'Jack Russell Terrorizes Pit Bull'... ;)

pitbulliest
October 9th, 2004, 01:01 PM
I KNOW RIGHT?!..I mean, that thing was vicious!!!...and Messina gets scared of little rats..and I've seen a few that have bitten people..and a ****zu that has mauled a baby!!!..BUT NOOO..you never see that in the news huh? (no offence to small dog owners..I have a Chihuahua myself..and I know they can be bigger creeps than large dogs) lol

melanie
October 9th, 2004, 05:42 PM
as i child i had my face torn open by small poodles, they kept attacking me and really did damage and my father killed them right then and there, he had to to stop them and was a horrified father fearing for my life. it was horrific and developed a good fear of dogs in me, pit bull or poodle, dog attack is freaky. and when a pit bull attcks all and sundry know about it, but my sensible dad at the time put it down to dog behaviour and crazy dogs and did not see the need to report it, he had killed the dogs anyway, wonder what the reaction woudl be these days if the headline read 'small toy poodles maul small girl in horrific atack leaving scars' , he would not have seen a need to report it if it was PB either, he would have jsut shot it solving what he thought to be the prob- bad owner with crazy dog, that is how he viewed these things, and a good example of how a normal person shoud.

melanie
October 9th, 2004, 05:42 PM
shelby, poor izzy, i bet that scared the crap out of her, serve her right, she shouldnt lick everyone :D :D :D (charlie has a habbit of wanting to lick all and sundry)

as i child i had my face torn open by small poodles, they kept attacking me and really did damage and my father killed them right then and there, he had to to stop them and was a horrified father fearing for my life. it was horrific and developed a good fear of dogs in me, pit bull or poodle, dog attack is freaky. and when a pit bull attcks all and sundry know about it, but my sensible dad at the time put it down to dog behaviour and crazy dogs and did not see the need to report it, he had killed the dogs anyway, wonder what the reaction woudl be these days if the headline read 'small toy poodles maul small girl in horrific atack leaving scars' , he would not have seen a need to report it if it was PB either, he would have jsut shot it solving what he thought to be the prob- bad owner with crazy dog, that is how he viewed these things, and a good example of how a normal person shoud.

glasslass
October 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Should have shot the bad owner!

melanie
October 10th, 2004, 06:30 PM
galsslass, i think he almost did, i remember all the yelling and gun waving, i know my dad and i know he would have shoved that gun in their faces for sure, if it is mentioned 25yrs later he still gets really angry and fells bad about it, he now says he should never have killed the dogs in front of us, but he said at the time he was in a blind panic and jsut wanted me safe, so i understand that. he is my hero anyway.

Lady_D
October 10th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Zues had finished all his shots and we thought it was time to take him out to the dog park. We took him out to the park a few times and things went fine… but just a few days ago Zeus (4mo rotti) was playing around with a JRT, 2 yo Rotti and an alpha female husky… and all of a sudden “playing” turned into war.

The three of them all started to attack Zeus. (barking, growling, snarling, you name it) I heard pitches of screams coming from Zues that I didn’t know he could reach. So at first I was thinking to myself, “okay they are just showing the new guy who is boss”… then it got more intense and that’s when I ran in. As soon as I got close to them, the JRT ran around me and bit me in the bum. He didn’t tear my pants, but he did indeed get a nice mouthful.

Once all the dogs were separated we let them relax and take a breather. We thought that they dogs were just playing around and it got out of hand so we let the dogs play with each other again. The 2yo rotti and Zeus were staring at each other and all of a sudden the rotti darted for Zeus. (and again the screams, yelps, growls, snarls,) and I scream “enough”! And the owner ran in and grabbed his dog off Zeus.

Pretty scary I must say. I was in complete shock. Even though I ran towards the dogs the first time, I wouldn’t know what to do. You can’t get your hands involved because you might get mawled. You can’t start kicking at the dogs because you may miss and end up really hurting them. So what do you do?? There’s gotta be a way to separate play fights that get out of hand humanely. Like a noise or something… fog horn? :rolleyes:

melanie
October 10th, 2004, 07:44 PM
i jump up and down real close and scream enough at the top of my lungs, this usually gets a little reaction like a look from the dogs and that is when you can break it up, i also use a choker chain so i often throw that into a fight for a distraction, if at home use your hose or anything. and i tell you now, if a JRT bit me on the bum he would have got a good boot from me, yes if big dogs are attacking my GSD i will go in kicking, to me i have to get them off and nothing else is as important, if their owners refuse to look after their dogs then it is fair game as far as im concerned, and that JRT if his owner allows him to bite humans then he should not be allowed to play.

poor little zues, not nice for a pup.

and if you do go in kicking be careful, i once went in kicking when a mate was in a punch up at a bar, they had him on the floor beating him, so i started kicking wildly to get them off. later that night he rubbed his head and said 'who was the mongrel kicking me in the head?' opps well i was sorry but i was just trying to help. :D :eek:

glasslass
October 10th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Mel! You're a wild woman! You'd be the one I'd want protecting my back though! A spray bottle works pretty good too!

pitbulliest
October 10th, 2004, 10:16 PM
A little late to reply..but I was reading some of the earlier messages here and I just wanted to say:
If you EVER find out or are suspicious of someone that is teaching their dog to fight (especially pit bulls), PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call the HUMANE SOCIETY....don't bother with the Police since they usually don't give a rat's ass...someone on here was mentioning that they found out that the pit bull that attacked their dog and ripped off their scalp was being trained for that? I HOPE I HOPE I HOPEEEE you called the Humane Society..that is definately what they are there for..and NO poor animal deserves to be tortured in a fighting pit...those poor dogs deserve a good life..not a bunch of scummy owners.

As for dog parks...I definately believe they are a place for disasters..the number of dog fights and attacks that I've seen in dog parks are tremendous...and can be ohh so easily avoided...I don't think socialization is a good excuse either..you can do plenty of socializing with your dog WITHOUT having to take them to an offleash park..alot of dogs actually learn bad behaviors in places like that and can often become quite aggressive instead of more social around other animals..
Why not take your dog for a walk downtown, or even at a local onleash park where other dog owners take their pets...your dog can sniff the other dog, say hello..and meet the other owner...and then you're on your way again...socialization doesn't necessarily mean your dog has to have full body contact with another dog...as most people think is necessary..at least that's what tends to happen at dog parks..the animals get all excited and hyper...start bullying one another..jump onto one another..bark..yap...its too stressful.

Not to mention, a word of advice..if you own a pit bull, you SHOULD NOT even be going to an offleash dog park..NO EXCUSES WHATSOEVER...that is the last place a responsible pittie owner should be taking their dog...its a big no no..

Anyways..that was my two cents about dog parks and stuff..

*steps off of soap box* :)

Lucky Rescue
October 10th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Zues had finished all his shots and we thought it was time to take him out to the dog park. We took him out to the park a few times and things went fine… but just a few days ago Zeus (4mo rotti) was playing around with a JRT, 2 yo Rotti and an alpha female husky… and all of a sudden “playing” turned into war

Poor puppy.:( Yet another example of why dog parks are a bad idea. A puppy attacked in this way could become very aggressive towards other dogs as he matures and with a dog as big as a Rottie, this could be a problem.

Unless you can guarantee the actions of every single dog in the park, don't risk it.

if you own a pit bull, you SHOULD NOT even be going to an offleash dog park..NO EXCUSES WHATSOEVER.

Amen.

Mysts38
October 11th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I dont believe in off leash parks as well..they are a recipe for disaster..I use to take cujo for a run with 6 other dogs that he knew well and grew up with..but even then,one day when we were finished with our run..we all stopped at one of the dog owners house for treats..one large male dominate dog(that cujo knew very well) went after Cujo for no reason...ny boy yelped and the owner pulled him back(both on leash) she apologized over and over..but you know I never quite trusted that dog again and refused to take Cujo on the dog runs.

I wont be taking hannah next spring on the dog runs if that dog is around...

heeler's rock!
October 11th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Like I have said before, I don't know how off leash parks are in your neck of the woods, but here in Calgary, the ones I have been to have been awesome. I have never EVER had a serious issue with mine or any other dogs. Sure, there have been power struggles, but they're over in an instant and no dogs are injured, they just go on their way. That rarely happens though, so I'm not gonna stop going just because of a bit of barking and growling. It's like sending your kids to school. You're not gonna withdraw them altogether from school because of one disagreement. I do have my dogs on leash when we're not in a designated off leash area and I find that if there are other dogs around, they get even more anxious and protective.

I'm not advocating all dog parks because I know there are other places that have horrible dog parks and I don't know how things are in other cities, so I choose not to get involved with that. I also don't go to the offleash parks everyday, just every now and then. I love them because of their distractions. I choose not to shelter my dogs and I train them out in the open, off leash with distractions whenever I can. I need to know that they'll listen to me, no matter where we are. Then again, this is all just my opinion and based on my awesome offleash experiences here in Calgary. It might not be the same for everyone.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I'm not gonna stop going to offleash parks here just because a bunch of people who don't live in Calgary, tell me they're bad.

meggie1425
October 11th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I dont have a dog, but theres an (unoffical) off leash dog park right behind my house. But most of the regular dogs who go there all know each other, and get along very well (they all run around and play while their owners talk to each other) its very entertaining to watch. :D

Required_Fields
October 12th, 2004, 10:33 AM
My 36 lbs. dog was recently attacked and bit by a husky, and earlier this year attacked and bit by..yes... a pitbull.

In both cases I blame the owners for extremely irresponsible ownership.

The husky owner did not intervene in the fight but just stood there right behind his dog and watched. He did not even attempt to grab his dog and never called him to stop. This was a very scary experience and my dog ended up at the vet.

The pitbull owner still lets her dog off-leash in our neighbourhood park which is aweful because this is a dog which is definitely aggressive towards other dogs. The same dog tried to go after my dog a second time on a different occasion when my dog was on-leash and the pitbull was offleash.

This type of behaviour is simply outrageous. I do believe that all dogs should get the proper exercies, but please if you are not sure about your dog temperament please stick to on-leash or use a muzzle.

mastifflover
October 12th, 2004, 10:57 AM
My Neo was attacked by a JRT and also a Boorder Collie. In both cases he never retaliated and both owners seemed to not be phased by their dogs bad behaviour. The JRT was a constant thorn in Boo's side always going after him and the owner thought it it was funny the little dog attacking the large dog. I began to get really pissed at this irresponsible owner and told him that he is not going to think it is so funny when my 185 pound dog decides he has had enough with this small white untrained lunatic of a dog. I reported my problem to the Humane Society just in case my dog ever did retaliate my dog was not being pts because of this a$$hole.I also told the owner that I was reporting him and the dog. Surprisingly there were more owners of small dogs that sided with me I was shocked. They said the dog goes after any dog large or small. He no longer has been seen at the park that was over a year ago. My guy Buddy has been attacked by a very aggressive dane who should not be allowed off leash under any circumstances as his owner says. Her BF thinks he should be allowed off leash at the park. There is the problem she is very responsible he is just plain stupid when it comes to dogs. She tries to explain that if her dog attacks another dog he will be put down as well as probably kill the other dog. This dane is beautiful but was severely abused and she is trying to socialize him and gain his trust and get him to trust others. Funny how almost none of these attacks were pit bulls well this would never make the news. Buddy was also bit by a small white fluffy thing but we are still waiting on the court date for that one which I also got bit and the owner tried to blame my dog and not hers who did the biting

Donna Marie
October 13th, 2004, 02:40 AM
I was walking my sister in laws lab/shep X through a school yard (on leash), when this mix breed ran up barking and growling. I tried to calmly get Shylo's attention and walk away, but the dog started jumping on her, nipping her. I was yelling at the dog, trying to dominate it and push it away, but it wouldn't stop! I was horrified! The owner ran up and actually told ME to calm down that I was making his dog attack Shylo! There was only defense from Shylo, she is NOT an agressive dog. His dog was off leash, his dog attacked her and HE blamed ME! Man, I was so pissed. I got her back home and I told them what happened. My brother in law new exactly who I was talking about too!

When I was about ten I was walking my foster mom's poodle mix (again on a leash) when a german sheppard ran up and picked Scruffy up and started shaking him in it's mouth! Keep in mind, I was a kid...but I pried the dog's mouth open, he dropped Scruffy and I think someone else came along and chased the loose dog off. Scruffy was okay, but seemed a little different after that attack.

Cactus Flower
October 13th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Not to get off-topic, but we don't have off-leash parks around here. Although, even if we did, I would not bring my dogs to them. Not only would I worry about irresponsible owners/dog fights, but I'd have no idea about the health of the dogs that mine were coming into contact with. I know mine are up to date on all vaccinations, but I still wouldn't want to risk them catching anything from another dog, despite the chances being slim.

Chloe has never been attacked.
Raj has been attacked once, and that was the end of the attacker.

glasslass
October 13th, 2004, 11:34 AM
The only thing I can equate with an off-leash park is the beach. Seems like all dogs love to run and play on the sand and I've never seen a dog fight. I keep Den-Den pretty close to me though until I can read the body language of the other dogs. They all get so goofy! :D

sammiec
October 13th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I an greatful that I have nothing to contribute to this thread. Since bringing Briggs home i have always had a slight concern about "what ifs". So far we have been very lucky that we have not had any confrontations that have lead to a full on fight. I try to believe that I can sense when a dog is uncomfortable and when one is being aggressive. Though you can never be certain, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I believe that off leash parks are a great way to exercise your dog. Open area fenced off - what could be better than that!!! BUT I have taken Briggs to the park on numerous occassions from the day we brought her home in Dec. to approximately this past summer. Granted it's only about 6 months, but I was amazed my what I saw go on there. People with blantant disregard for their dogs having to be spayed or neutered, picking up poop, yelling and hitting their animals, no sense of responsibility when their dog attacks another, people bringing KNOWN aggressive dogs to the park. That was MORE than enough for me.
If someone came into that park with a yappy, bossy, aggressive Lasa Apso (No offence, just an example), and it felt like picking a fit with my laid back, friendly, obedient and wonderful pit bull - that would be the end of my dog if she was to kill that little one during a fight that it instigated. No questions about it. Because of her breed, she faces unfair discrimination. It's not fair to place her in that danger, nor should she suffer for human ignorance.

mastifflover
October 13th, 2004, 12:26 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly Sammie I run into the same discrimination because I own a giant breed and they are always to blame even when he wont even growl at another dog. But just because he is big he is blamed for anyfight even when he has been 10 ft away they somehow try to blame him. Thank goodness his mom takes no crap from anybody about her baby

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I was walking my Great Dane one day, and a black lab attacked him. I thought it was weird, being the lab weight 100 pounds less than my dog. I was really mad, because my dane wasn't a fighter, and was such a baby, that he was pretty much taking it. The fight only lasted a a minute or two, the owner came our right away and took his dog. He led us to a pond where our dog could rest awhile. The owner was a friend of ours, he lived on a farm and his lab was his farm dog that he had let out to round up the cattle, so we kinda just put it aside. If my dog was bleeding or injured, it would have been a bit different. The other owner was concerned about my dog and did look him over, and said that he would help with vet bills if any were needed though.

lilpaws
October 13th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I haven't had too much trouble at the off leash parks (again in Calgary). The occasional mild scruff but as someone said earlier dogs communicate too. They are trying to lay down their heirarchy. Luckily, my dogs have never been in a serious one. On a funny note, years ago I learned not to jump in the middle of a dog fight. My sister's Sheltie was attacked by a ****er Spaniel and I was really upset, jumped in and was bit on the leg. My sister being a nurse, made me pull my pants down right there in the park to show her. No puncture, just embarrased. I like some of the suggestions of distraction... much easier than a wound.

CyberKitten
October 13th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Donna Marie,

I had a similar experience to yours when I was walking my brother's chocolate lab. He is a kind and gentle dog, a big baby literally and this mixed breed terrier type came up and started barking and baring his teeth. I am not afraid of large dogs (in my experience, the little ones seem to like to bark more and I grew up with a fox terrier who rarely barked in her life and she was born across the street so came to us at a very young age!). Grady looked up at me as if to ask what to do and I walked away but the dog kept attacking him. Alas, the owner yelled at me for making his dog angry. Hmmmmph!!

We were just walking (and Grady was on a leash) and enjoying the view. Well, I liked the view, Grady liked to sniff every plant in site and investigate. <g>

Unfortunately, there are irresponsible owners.

carey
October 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM
My little female Schnauzer (who has now gone to Rainbow Farm due to old age) was attacked on 3 separate occasions by a black Great Dane that lived long our road (who thankfully is no longer there). Twice when both were walking on leash and once a nasty scenario when the Dane was walking off leash on the frozen river in front of our place, heard my dog bark at him, which sent him flying through our yard and up onto our deck. Got my dog in a strangle hold. It happened so suddenly - it was about to kill my poor thing, and when I tried to intervene, I got bitten on the leg. Anyway, I pressed charges and the guy was made to pay for quite expensive vet bills. She did survive (me too!) but never trusted big black dogs again.

doggy lover
October 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM
I also had a small taco bell dog come running up after my 120lb dog one time, it snarled and ran up to us, but when it got closer I think it relized it had bitten off more than it could chew and ran away..... I find that a lot of smaller dogs think that they have to prove themselves to large dogs. My dog use to just look at them out of the corner of his eye and keep walking, he never went after another dog in his nine+ years. I was walking my border collie pup the other day and the same thing a small dog comes snarling into his face, and Tucker loves everyone. I glad it didn't spook him though as I don't want him afaid of walking down the street and being attacked. He has been great with all the other dogs he meets from a Blood hound to Scottish terriers. I think when dogs arn't let to meet other dogs, or owners get parinoid that their little baby is going to get hurt, is when the problems start. All dogs should be socialized to many different situations including other dogs of all sizes, hopefully there wouldn't be so many problems.

gardenofeve
October 26th, 2004, 03:49 PM
A few, it's funny, but I never really thought it was so many til writing it down. The first time, my GSD was attacked, he was a wee one, and a pair of Jack Russel Terriers decided they wanted to eat him. However my friend's mutant Sheltie defended him. My GSD was attacked as a puppy by a Bullmastiff. It was terrifying, the dog's walker stated that the dog had been attacked by a GSD as a puppy and therefore hated all GSDs. I told them that something was wrong with a dog that would attack a puppy. Later I learned that the Bullmastiff was owned by one of the vets at our clinic and I gave him an earful.

When my GSD was an adult and full of pee and vinegar, he was attacked by a Rottweiler/Bullmastiff mix. However my GSD decided he was a ninja and kept jumping over the dog. It was scary at the time, but in retrospect it was fairly funny.

He was attacked by another GSD, it was really dirty too. My dog was chasing a ball, and this dog came from behind and took a chunk out of his rear. My guy didn't even see it coming.

The last time he was attacked, he was about 5 and a pair of Great Danes went after him. I grabbed the dogs, the owner yelled at me because one was a show dog and had a weak ear. It gave me quite a surprise to think that I could hold off two large dogs. It gave my dog a chance to get up and walk away.

There have over the years been snapping and snarling at my dog, but nothing I was too concerned about.

My Newfoundland was attacked by a GSD once, my GSD who normally whales on my Newf did not like the ideal of another dog going after him. He chased the dog off and fortunately, there was only hair lost.

The one attack that actually drew blood on my Newfoundland came from a Toy Manchester Terrier, the owners thought it was cute! They didn't think it was terribly cute when I presented them with a vet bill the next time I saw them, and a notice from Animal Control. My Newfoundland never retaliated, he just stood there with this little sob hanging off his face.

And I guess last but not least, my two got into a fight once. The Newfoundland had been cheeky all week to the dominant GSD and finally the GSD had enough and they went at it. I let them sort it out so long as there was no bloodshed and they did and they haven't fought since. The Newf did get too close to the GSDs dinner once and got nailed on the nose. He hasn't done it since. He can't defend his way out of a paper bag, he's a helpless sweetie, so I'm always careful around other dogs, the only time we go to an offlead park is when I take them swimming since all the incidents I mentioned one or both dogs were off leash.

ancarett
November 1st, 2004, 08:58 AM
My pit bull was attacked by a lab. He was about seven months of age, being walked down the street when the lab came out of its yard. Ozzie lunged forward in a playbow, but I guess he seemed aggressive to the lab who bit him on the head. Fortunately, my husband scared the attacker off with some yells and a wave.

When I was walking both the staffie and the sheltie, we were attacked by another loose dog (small, black, looked like a ****-a-Poo but who knows?) that I scared off by jumping between it and my dogs. It hit my shin, teeth bared, then backed off as I yelled at it and stomped my foot just in front of its face, repeatedly.

Back when I was younger, my old border collie was attacked in his own yard by a wandering stray (Lab/GSD cross by the looks of it). I was watering the flowers so I turned the spray on them but it wasn't strong enough to break off the attack, so I had to whack him with the sprayer as I pulled him off. Once he fully disengaged I sprayed him until he ran off.

Of course, I haven't even mentioned the time that a tabby cat decided to attack me, my dogs and my two little girls on a walk. . . .

Kelli
November 2nd, 2004, 07:20 PM
Our 12 year old Staff was attached by a Lab last week he was on a leash but the lab was not. The worst part about this is that it would never make the news and I actually wouldn't want it too but if it was the other way around I'm sure the media would have no problem covering the story.

doggab
November 4th, 2004, 12:38 PM
My dog was attacked at an off leash park :mad: .

My two small breed dogs were sprinting in circles with another friendly small breed dog. There was a man walking his rottiXpitbull and as my dog passed, the cross caught him and chomped on his chest and leg and wouldn't let go (((lock jaw))) My dog was squealing to no end and my other dog bolted. The owner of the third owner quickly picked up his dog. In the midst of the attack, my husband and I had to chase our one dog and fight the cross in order to have our other one released. My husband straddled the cross and struggled with the beast. At this time the owner was just standing there watching this all take place. We were finally able to have our dog released and I carried him in my arms battered, bleeding and still squealing. I ran to take him to the pet hospital and my husband stayed to collect this man's information. He tried to run off but that goodness there were so many witnesses who prevented him from getting anywhere. We reported it to the local officials. Unfortunately, we were notified that we could not press charges. There's no law protecting our fur babies. Only laws protecting us. Where's the justice?

We found out the background of the rottiXpitbull, it was adopted that very day and without knowing the dogs temperment, the new owner walked him freely on a very public sea wall.

It was the worst way to learn but we'll never frequent an off leash park again! This was the worst day of our lives...please don't make the same error we did...

allformydogs
November 26th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Oh my. I am terribly shocked to see that some dog owners feel the way they do about dog parks :eek: . I love my two dogs so much and would never think of depriving them from their beloved park. What kind of dog owner would say that dog parks are bad? Well, obviously these dog owners have had a bad experience at these places. Or perhaps these owners do not understand canine behavior. There are wonderful sites on the internet on dog park etiquette, look them up! when a dog growls at another dog at one of these parks it does not mean that they are showing aggression necessarily, it could be a variety of reasons.
I go to the local dog park daily with my two dogs. I have seen many dog owners pull their dogs away from especially my Saint Bernard just because of his sheer size. I find it amusing and insulting all at the same time. Amusing because my big boy is one of the most gentle dogs that you will ever meet, and insulting because these are supposed dog lovers discriminating against size. Also, many of the regular dogs at the park are pitbulls, amstaffs, and valleybulls. These dogs are wonderful creatures and show no sign of viscious killing tendencies.
Yes, there is the odd scrap here or there, but the thing about going to a dog park is to be educated about the behavior that your dog will display. This education will prevent most problems and create a more peaceful park environment. At my park there are pamphlets on park ettiquette, and most people adhere to the information provided. The usual problems occur with uneducated owners. Instead of bad talking dog parks help your local park be more informed. If not for yourself do it for your dog. :thumbs up

whinnie-boo
November 26th, 2004, 02:36 PM
I'm the proud mother of 2 female Red-Nosed Pit-bulls, who have on numerous occasions been harrassed or mildly bitten by other Dogs of all breeds in the off-leash dog park. Funny thing, we don't go there anymore since Bryant started opening his big uneducated mouth, but my babies never once fought back, or showed teeth, they just ran to Mommy for protection. I don't doubt what they could do in every situation, but they both know better. Thank-fully, no one has ever been hurt. Just this morning I had an intact golden lab charge them while we were passing by his house for our morning walk. The lab was off leash on its own property. I had no choice but to wedge myself between them and scream. The owner came outside, and I obviously went ballistic, which I later apologized for. But, honestly, should something have happen, I, and only I, would have lost my children. :mad: :sad: :mad:

whinnie-boo
November 26th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Who said not going to a dog park is depriving your dog? :eek: I don't know where everyone is from, but I live in the Toronto area, I have 1 dog park close by, and it is nothing but a breeding ground for Kennel Cough, Parasites and Disease :sick: . If your dog park is any better all the power to you. But, even I don't take my kids anymore. I don't deprieve them either, I may at times have to break the law in a secluded area (soccor field, tennis court) But, I see to it that they have more then enough excercise.

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Allformydogs couple of questions what type of dogs do you have and where do you live?

Luvmypit
November 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=doggab]My dog was attacked at an off leash park :mad: .

There was a man walking his rottiXpitbull and as my dog passed, the cross caught him and chomped on his chest and leg and wouldn't let go (((lock jaw))) [QUOTE]

I hope you don't think because it was a rotti pitt mix that it had lock jaw. That is a myth! No such thing as lock jaw. Pits, rotties have the same mouth as your dogs do. Just more powerful/

Shaykeija
November 26th, 2004, 02:59 PM
When Akeija and I used to go for long walks( when the mother-in-law came over) I used to cut through a church yard. One day I was walking Akeija, 2 large dogs came out of no where after us. Akeija obeyed her command to lie down and i got between her and the other dogs. I screamed at them and called them everything under the sun. I think I tought the priest a few new words. :eek: Anyway the priest let us into the church and he called my husband to come and get us. My husband belonged to that church. After that I used to go walking with Akeija and a baseball bat. Never had a problem with the dogs after that because I told their owners if they came after us again, the dogs were going to get a serious head ache. Don't get me wrong I would never intentionally harm any animal but in case of attack well, you gotta do what you gotta do. Calling the police here was not an option because they at that time did not consider loose dogs a threat to the public.

andone
December 9th, 2004, 11:51 AM
walking my 3 year old p/ollie through the park and this huge dog runs up and starts tearing the hell out of him...couldint do anything, the dog had already bitten me, so i just called for help and the owner had him destroyed.

doggab
December 9th, 2004, 08:35 PM
I hope you don't think because it was a rotti pitt mix that it had lock jaw. That is a myth! No such thing as lock jaw. Pits, rotties have the same mouth as your dogs do. Just more powerful/

Regardless, that dog could not, would not, budge. So maybe it is a myth but I experienced it first hand. That is the most common description I can provide.

With regards to the other comment, there are many other ways to occupy your dog ie. walks on trails, beaches, even around the block. I'm not saying that you should eliminate a good game of fetch, what I'm saying is that you should be on guard and weary if you decide to do so in any park. My dogs are content rough housing inside our home and in our backyard and I firmly believe they are safer in doing so. I was strictly sharing my experience at an off leash park, please don't get that confused with depriving my dogs. Sometimes experience is more than education. Like I said before, I have learned that the hard way.

twodogsandacat
December 23rd, 2004, 10:57 PM
We used to go to a dog park for about a year and my Rhodesian mix used to play hard with other large dogs - very hard. He learned how to bull doze from a boxer. He was also very sweet to the smaller dogs and generally just sniffed them and kept moving. He also loved puppies and had to see any new one that arrived. His favourite game was to be chased through the long grass sometimes by as many as six dogs. Towards the end he started getting attacked on his chase game by the newly arrived Sheep dogs. To the point that he would come home with chunks of hair missing off his butt. They would fly pass the pack to nip at his butt. He didn't become a biter but he would bull doze another dog into the ground if they crossed the line and of course always seemed like the aggressor to the owner of the innocent biters. It just wasn't worth it anymore so we stopped going to the dog park.

Instead we walk at the canal and he just ignored the other dogs as he really prefers the company of humans and his ball or stick. He is toy obsessive around strange dogs and isn't allowed toys or sticks around any dog other than his little brother. Recently minding our own business an unleashed Shepherd came down and nipped at him as he came out of the water and then ran off. As he is toy obsessive and was just nipped I was concerned so I threw his ball back in as the owner arrived hoping that he would leash her. Instead of leashing his dog he explained she does that and really just needs her butt kicked. My dog came back out and was nipped again, I threw the ball back in and the owner apologized again. I explained that mine was toy obsessive so please take her away or leash her. The last time my guy came out of the water I went to leash him and he was nipped again - before I could shorten up his leash the Shepherd was driven into the ground and I pulled my snarling dog off - there was no biting but his dog just had her butt kicked. I told my dog to sit and of course he did. As far as he was concerned it was over. If this is what you wanted sir you got it but maybe there is something you didn't know.

My dog is now defensive around ALL other dogs at the canal and although I leash him whenever we pass other dogs he moves as far away from them as his leash allows. I now let my submissive Pointer out on his leash to draw the attention away from the now nervous large dog. The Collie owner who witnessed the confrontation from afar gives us dirty looks now. Can you please explain to her that this is what you wanted? May I suggest that instead of looking for some other dog to kick your dogs butt you instead leash her around other dogs and talk to a trainer. Why am I so upset with what the Collie owner may think...because a Rhodesian mix can be confused by the uninformed.....with a pit bull. My apologies to the pit owners. :(

malti-poo2
April 30th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Our little malti-poo was attacked by two Rottweiler's last Sunday and the authorities don't want to do anything about it. The attack happened in our yard and my two year old was 25 feet away. My husband and I truly believe that if Conan wasn't in front of our little girl it would have been her. We just moved into the neighbourhood and all the neighbours we talked to tell us the same thing. Only one person around there has two Rottweilers. In fact those Rottweilers have 12 marks against them for escaping. Something needs to be done with our laws in Canada about these dogs. I agree that it is 90% ownership responsiblity and 10% the animal itself. But with 12 marks against the dogs the SPCA should do a lot more than say "Sorry to hear that"

chico2
April 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Maltipoo,this thread is 3 years old,maybe you should start your own...hope your little dog was ok:fingerscr

Shamrock
April 30th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Welcome to the site, malti-poo. I am very sorry to hear of this frightening and upsetting experience with your little dog. :sad: Did yours suffer any injuries?

As for the laws pertaining to "these" dogs"...no breed should be categorized or penalized en masse.:sad: :mad:
But for the specific dogs that attacked yours.. I would certainly suggest complaining further to the SPCA, as it appears these two Rotties are not being kept under proper care and control, and have a previous history of escapes Perhaps you could enlist the help of your neighbours with this, as they also sound very concerned.
I wish you good luck with this.:goodvibes:

btw..this thread is from 2004.... very old.:shrug: You might want to start a new one to the forum.

Ford Girl
April 30th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I live in Calgary and I go to one of the largest off leash parks in the city twice a week, I love it, Dazy loves it, I couldn't imagine not taking her there? The owners all seem invovled and watchful. There are dogs who don't like each other which can be expected, they just sniff and move on and owners who wear fancy clothes and carry their dogs while in the park. Dazy jumped on one guy who was carrying a toy breed and his white jeans got dirty?? White jean? Come on!!! Put on some dog park clothes and put your dog down!

Dazy was attached only once, if you can call it that, just one huge snap at her face and a loud bark after, from my friends doby who resource gaurds toys, no warning, no signs that he was about to lose it - he just lunged at her and her whole tiny head was in his mouth, it actually scarred her under the eye and by her ear. They have played several times since but I am jumpy when they are together, I pick up any and all toys before they arrive. I waited 4 weeks before they met again after the lunge, she was as happy as ever to see him.

Odieandmaggiesd
May 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
FOr Odie:

He was attacked by ****zhu, a JRT, a boxer, a friends rotti, a stray rotti, a golden retreiver and a miniature poodle...Odie only defended himself against the boxer and my friends rotti...

In the other dogs defence...most times...he stole a toy from them...he loves to play keep away :P

For Maggie...she was never really attacked per say...but she came to Odie's rescue with the stray rotti...my friends rotti, and the boxer...she thinks she's his mom :P

Odie is generally EXTREMLY good with other dogs...to the point where he meets a new dog...he walks up to them and turns around and sticks his tail...he waits about a minute for the other dog to get a good whif...then it's play time :P

Magiie on the other hand is not as well socialised, my breeder really didn't do a good job of that at all...so some dogs, she gets along with but most she just kinda watches them...

malti-poo2
May 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM
:sorry: I am new to forums. I am still in a little shock over the incident.

Thank you Shamrock and chico2 for pointing out my error.

Shamrock - the neighbuors are on board. We all agree that the dogs should be sent to a rehabilitation and not brought back to their owner but be adopted out separately. My doggy has had 2 surgeries with another to come.

Shamrock
May 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM
malti-poo, I'm so sorry to hear this,:sad: and send best wishes for your little dog's complete recovery. :fingerscr:goodvibes:
Under these circumstances, I feel the authorities should certainly take some definitive action with the dogs owners. They most definitely need to be secured at least, this clearly could happen again.:sad:

Good luck to you, and I hope their owners are at least assumng financial responsibility for their dog's actions. :fingerscr

Prin
May 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
I hope so too.

Kristin7
May 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I haven't read all the posts... but, none of my dogs have ever been attacked. One was bit in the off-leash park though, however, it must've been in play. It was his ear, there was no ruckus or anything, and I didn't notice it for awhile because of that, plus, he is black, so the blood was hard to notice. One of the dogs must've caught the tip of his ear, he was otherwise fine. I have been threatened with attack by a GSD when I was a kid, and my dad was bitten by one (his fault). Other dogs who have run at me like they wanted to attack have been small terrier types.

chocolatecoffee
May 4th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Malti-poo, I'm so sorry to hear about Conan, I know what you mean about the authorities not wanting to do anything too :sad:. I wish your little one a speedy recovery!

Cannelle was attacked by four large dogs before we adopted her, and NO charges could be pressed or anything. She had taken Cannelle home from the vet's with the intention of adopting her, and she put her in front of the four resident dogs and they just went right for her. She barely survived and will never be the same again, but the lady got off without even a slap on the wrist :frustrated:.

Saradog
May 6th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Our little malti-poo was attacked by two Rottweiler's last Sunday and the authorities don't want to do anything about it.

If people could report dog attacks of any kind - dog on dog, dog on human, dog on other animal - to dogattacks @ rogers.com (without the spaces), it would be greatly appreciated. A group is compiling information about attacks that don't make the media. All detail is good - date, time, location, particulars (be honest - if your dog was offleash in an onleash park, for example), and your contact info.

On the attack on the malti-poo, I'd go to the media and see if you can get some coverage. Helps if you've got pics of the dog's injuries. Try to embarass the authorities (police, by-law enforcement officers, whatever) into enforcing what laws are in place (whether municipal, provincial, state) concerning dangerous dogs. Too often, these owners get off free and clear by killing their dogs and can just go get more and continue to create dangerous dogs through neglect and abuse.

angeldogs
May 6th, 2007, 01:09 PM
When we fisrt brought jag home is was attacked by our shih tzu all the time.
on our walks he was attack by a shih tzu.and passing other dogs he was all ways the little one trying to attack him.never ones his size or bigger.just little ones.

cheribob
May 14th, 2007, 02:13 AM
My female Maltese was attached by a Doberman Pinscher. Guess which dog was Not on a leash.

marsupial mama
May 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM
pretty shocking thread... :eek: I don't have a dog but a few years ago i knew a neighbour who had a collie type dog. She was a senior/retired but didn't need a cane or anything, but I saw her one day walking her dog and using a cane. I asked about her health and she said she was fine, the cane was for other dogs running loose that menaced her sweet on-leash pooch. After reading this thread I understand why.

There were lots of loose dogs in that neighbourhood and no one (esp. authorities) gave a hoot. I;m glad I don't live there anymore.

SableCollie
May 16th, 2007, 02:17 PM
One time when my mother was walking sable, they ran into a woman walking a mini dachshund, and the little doxie leapt up and grabbed onto Sable's tail, and was just hanging off her tail and the owner had to pull the dog off The dachshund was on leash, but obviously was allowed to get too close.

Another time when I was walking her, a west highland terrier ran out of its house as the owner opened the door. The dog ran across the street growling. I put sable in a sit-stay and the dog just crashed into her. It was jumping all over Sable growling and nipping but it didn't break the skin, luckily sable's coat is so thick, it couldn't bite through the hair.

She's also been bitten numerous times by Lobo, but that is because she will start the fight, usually because Lobo looks at her while she is eating (how dare he!) or accidentally bumps into her...she's a bit of a brat. Actually her only serious bite came from Lobo, his tooth left a furrow down the side of her face, just missing her eye.

LittleMissLevi
May 16th, 2007, 07:59 PM
My 7 yo rottie was attacked by a shepard cross at the dog park after the owner said he was friendly. Never thought I would see my dog picked up by her neck and shaken around. She just went limp and took it. Poor little girl didn't want to play after that.

My friends little yorkie cross was attacked the other day by a german shepard while they were walking her the other day. The garage was left open and when they walked by the dog ran out, grabbed their dog and kept shaking and attacking her. Their Mischa had to have dead muscle removed and a bunch of surgery, she is now scared to go out for walks. Luckily the owners of the other dog paid the substantial vet bills.

Amy's Mom
May 27th, 2007, 02:20 AM
My dog Amy was attacked on Monday by a Jack Russell. Both dogs were on leashes. The JR followed us into a pet store and started snarling and growling at Amy. the young girl that was holding the leash took the dog outside to her mother. when my partner and my dog went outside, (she was still on leash by the way), the JR was waiting for them and attacked my dog. I couldn't get to them fast enough but my dog had a scratch on her face and the young girl was upset and crying at what her dog did.
Unfortunately I didn't get their names or numbers cause I would have reported the dog. I went back into the store and let the owners know about the JR. They said they would keep an eye out for him.
Amy and my partner are both okay, quite shaken up still. But now it's almost back to square one with Amy and her wariness of strangers, which we worked at reducing since we got her last august.

lanwhite
September 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM
Whether unleashed dog parks are dangerous or not depends a lot on the dog park. If it is a large one with a lot of stranger dogs and irresponsible owners, it is more likely to be a dangerous place. In my town, people allow their dogs to go unleashed on the nature trail but most of the dogs know each other and many are friends. I've never had any trouble, nor heard of anyone who has, in the 5 years I've walked my dog there before this last week, although there has been some growling and posturing and we avoid getting too close to some dogs who we know don't like each other. A few days ago, my small border collie was seriously attacked by a Doberman on the nature trail. Will we go back? Sure we will. But I am carrying a big stick with me from now on as future insurance. My dog loves that walk and loves meeting her canine friends there...it is the highlight of her day and she has learned to know how to socialize there...I'm not going to deprive her of her joy of meeting her friends there or meeting new ones, both humans and dogs. When I got her she was afraid of everything, again both people and other dogs, now she is afraid of very little and is happy.
I'm aware there are risks in meeting other dogs from fighting or diseases they might pick up. But there are risks in everything, for us too, and trying to avoid them all makes for a very limited and hampered life. It's like parents who try to over-protect their human kids from every risk imaginable...I feel sorry for those kids!
Make sure your dogs gets all their shots and carry a big stick, and let them run and play with their friends where it is allowed. An over protected dog who isn't allowed to do anything or to ever run off leash makes me sad.

clm
September 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Our first dog Freddie, was attacked by a German Shepherd who jumped his fence and a Great Dane who was loose.

Cindy

Longblades
September 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I do not support breed specific bans but if I did it would be Siberian Huskies (or more accurately perhaps, some of their owners) not pitbull types.

1st attack - neighbour's Sib. in MY yard resulting in one slightly chewed and bleeding from the neck much smaller ESS.

2nd attack - no actual contact but several of another neighbour's Sib. forced the same ESS and I to seek shelter in a nearby home as the whole team of them got loose and harassed us. One had bitten the daughter of the house where we sheltered till DH came in the truck to take us home.

3rd and 4th attacks - same poor little ESS attacked by a harnessed team of Sib.s as we sat well off the trail and waited for them to go by. There were two teams and they turned around, went by us a second time and the second team attacked her. I stabbed as many as I could with my cross country ski pole till the idiot owner/musher got the team hauled off of her.

kagnew
September 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Years ago I was walking my Husky puppy (8 months) and a Golden Retriever came charging off his front porch and grabbed Jack by the neck. It took 3 people kicking and screaming to get that dog off Jack. Tore his leather collar in half. Of course, the owner came strolling out and yelled at ME to "mind my own business" and a few other choice tidbits of colourful language. Fortunately Jack wasn't hurt, just scared of strangers for pretty much the rest of his life. (Called AC and they came out and told them to keep the dog inside or on a leash)

My ex and I were at an off-leash dog beach in southern CA with my Pug Rudy and our Boxer, Nicky (RIP) - on their leashes. We ran into 2 gentlemen with 2 Boxers off-leash and off course approached! One of the Boxers went right after Nicky. Cracked my ex's watch in the melee that followed. These guys were at least nice about it, but I was shocked when one guy says, "Oh - this isn't the first time!" Poor Nicky was 11 at the time and his health decline (died a year later) began immediately following. We couldn't help but think it was related. He seemed to lose his spirit...

You kind of assume when you go to off-leash areas that people know their dogs and are acting responsibly. I would never take a dog to one if I there was any concern about dog aggression.

:shrug: Kathy

Riluke
September 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
When I was a teenager, we had a brown shaggy terrier mutt dad rescued from the local shelter. She had the most gentle personality. One day on the way to get the mail a Newfoundland Dog named Big Mac came out of no where and tried to attack my dog. Unfortuantely I was in the way so he was jumping on me to get to her, my mother was hauling him off by the scruff of the neck until the owner came and got him. As it turns out a week previous he bit the tail off a golden retreiver in a town parade. I am pretty sure they had to put him down after those incidents.

Getting knocked over by a Newfoundland dog was not one of my happier expierences. :eek:

shredy
September 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Shade (golden mix) was attacked by a rottie mix in our driveway last winter. She was off leash, but on our property as we were unpacking the car and the dogs owner was walking by with him off leash (didn't even have a leash). He told us that the dog was aggressive and we called Shade who came and sat next to me. He did not get control of the dog though and he attacked her, locking onto her neck. I screamed so loudly that 3 neighbors came rushing out to see what was happening and the dogs owner repeatedly tried to pull his dog off Shade. Ultimately my boyfriend had to kick the dog and pry his mouth open, getting bitten in the process on his hand. Shade neck was punctured and lacerated and she was very shaken up. The owner tried to walk away not even saying sorry, but so many people saw what happened that he came back and ended up reluctantly paying her vet bill and my boyfriends medical bills. I was furious and he felt my wrath :yell: