Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

red currant bush

dogcatharmony
April 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I have this beautiful red currant bush in my backyard, last year it was over taken by ants bringing aphids. They almost wiped out my bush. I had other things on my mind at the time, but this year I don't want the same thing to happen.
How do I get rid of the aphids?:shrug:

hazelrunpack
April 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I found these recipes from this site... (http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-aphids.htm)

Home remedy for aphids. You can kill aphids by spraying, especially under the leaves, with a solution of 2 tsp mild dish or laundry soap to a bottle of luke warm water. The soap washes off the aphid’s protective waxy coating and causes dehydration. You can also mix three parts luke warm water to one part vegetable or horticultural oil and a couple drops of dish soap. This mixture can be sprayed on to clog the respiratory spiracles of aphids. Spray once a week taking turns between solutions. If using these solutions on food plants, be sure to wash them before eating. If using the oil solution, don’t spray on very hot and sunny days as the oil can magnify the sun and possibly harm the plant.

If it's something I can keep an eye on and the infestation is not too bad, I'll usually just spray them off with water.

Winston
April 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you can use mild dish soap and water and spray that on the garden plants....actually here is a good link that will give you some info..

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-aphids.htm

hazelrunpack
April 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM
:D It's true!!! We do think alike! That's the same site I use, too. :highfive:

Winston
April 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM
:thumbs up:thumbs up

If you ever have trouble with slugs on your hostas place beer in a cap/lid and place it under the hostas and the slugs go for the beer!

dogcatharmony
April 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks! I was hosing it down regularly, but they are pesky little things. And the ants seem to have a never ending supply of them to carry. It was surprising how fast they cleaned off the bush. I had leaves one day......and barely any the next.

chico2
April 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Winston I did that,as I have several Hostas,it took a lot of my precious beer:laughing:but it works,not too attractive in your garden though,but neither is what slugs leave behind.:yell:

Dee-O-Gee
April 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Back in the good ole days, Diazinon was the one thing I used but is no longer available. If you want to try a commercial product rather than homemade remedies, I use this stuff called Ambush made by Willson. It can be sprayed on ornamentals, fruits and vegetable and I use it regularly for controlling aphids. :thumbs up

As far as slugs in the hosta's, I bumped into my neighbor the other day and he mentioned about putting onion bulbs all around the hosta's to keep slugs away. Not only do they keep the slugs away he said, the onions can be plucked and eaten when they've grown. :lightbulb:

Shaykeija
April 20th, 2011, 11:29 PM
dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle with a shot of vodka works for me....

dogcatharmony
April 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM
is the vodka the aphids to help wash down the leaves, or for you having to put up with the little :censored:?