Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Experience with TATE Elbow replacement

vrover
April 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I have an older Rottweiler/Shepherd mix with end-stage front left elbow, well, it has to be said, failure. She limps badly and an arthroscopy showed that the cartilage was pretty well all gone.

When the staples were removed a couple of weeks after the arthro, the vet decided to try some joint lubricant fluid to see if that might help. Unfortunately, the injection was somehow contaminated and she ended up with an MR Staph Pseudointermedius infection. 1 month of Chloramphenicol has completely cleared the infection.

However, her lameness is worse than ever, and because she was so debilitated from the infection, she lost a lot of muscle tone. I have been working to reverse that with steadily increasing, yet still quite short walks.

She is taking 100 mg 2x daily Rimadyl (and has been for years) to alleviate her joint pains (she also has had 2 TPLOs and an MRI showed that she has 6 bulging disks). The vet has just put her on gabapentin - it's not clear that is doing anything except make her a little drowsy and possibly make her even a little more foot-draggy.

But, here is the real question: at this point, there isn't any hope for this elbow, which has gotten progressively worse over the last 3 years.

I found this elbow treatment called TATE Elbow Replacement and it looks like it might be a better system than the older ones. Does anyone have anything to say about this?

Thanks!!

Shaykeija
April 20th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I hate when our pets get old..sigh

hazelrunpack
April 22nd, 2011, 02:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your dog, vrover. We had a dog with bad elbow dysplasia--it manifested at 9 weeks of age. Back then they could only try to clean out the joint capsule as thorughly as possible and hope for the best. I wish they'd had the TATE elbow replacement then...

I've had no experience with the procedure, but maybe if you called up a few veterinary teaching hospitals they would be able to give you some idea of success rates, incidence of complications and the pros and cons of the various options available?

I wish you the best for your dog! Welcome to the board, and please keep us posted on how she's doing!

juju
May 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
My bullmastiff x rotti who will be 9 years in november has been suffering from chronic arthritis of the front right elbow for the past three years. He is on the max dose of rimadyl and tramadol for his weight. He recently had a very bad episode where he was unable to put any weight at all onto the right leg. Our vet referred him to the NKR Vet. Practice where I was told that he needed an total elbow replacement and the one recommended was called a TATE elbow replacement. Is there anyone whose dog has had this surgery and if so how are they now. I am a bit worried as I was told that the success rate is 85%. Also is he too old to have this type of surgery?

Thank you
Juju