Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Severe immunological problems in kitten

kathryn
April 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hey all, just got back from the vets with Amira a bit ago.. she has been sneezing blood since Sunday evening. She is quite congested but is acting relatively normal otherwise.. a big lethargic but not terribly so, and is eating as much as she can being unable to breathe :(

Here is the deal, my vet said NO meds for a little bit, because it doesn't look like an infection especially since we've already been through the ringer with having her one a ton of different meds in the time that I've had her. okay, so he told me to just leave her be and confine her and put a vaporizer next to her cage...

I'm going for a follow up next Tuesday morning to see the vet that took care of Timmy a few years ago... I'm going back to the shelter I worked at so whatever bloodwork or tests I get done there is going to be cheaper.. hopefully I can get the rescue to pay.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on anything extra I can do? :shrug: Any certain supplements or vitamins you would suggest? She is eating Fromm dry but prefers wet food (she is spoiled!) so I just give her a variety of wet food.. she likes the Pinnacle wet food because it is very mushy and it makes her happy. She also likes Wellness and Chicken Soup and I give her nibbles of the other cats foods and also she has had some raw.

Does anyone have any advice for anything else I can do for her? I REALLY want to get her spayed as quickly as possible because she keeps going into heat but it's like, I can't win! I can't risk her going into surgery right now and also can't risk a pyometra :wall:

My vet wants me to go to U of Penn for an internist.

pattymac
April 19th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Wow..poor kitty and poor you!! Are there any holistic vets around you? They may have some more natural things that could help her. I'd say let her have the wet food, being stuffed up, it may be easier for her to eat and at least that way you can be sure she getting enough fluids. That's about all I can suggest for you.

pattymac
April 19th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Any way of having an x-ray or something done, just to rule out some sort of blockage in her sinuses?

Dee-O-Gee
April 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I agree with Patty and stick to wet. It'll not only be easier for her to eat, it will also provide a necessary fluid intake as well.

I'm sorry but I jumped into your picture thread and replied there before seeing this one Kathryn. :headslap:

As noted in the picture thread, a Vitamin E supplement and/or probiotics shoud help build up her immune system. I wouldn't think these remedies would hurt in any instance. :shrug:

Another key is plenty of exercise. If Amira's moving around, playing and being overall happy, it should improve her blood circulation and increase her energy to fight off any bad bugs or infections. :thumbs up

:grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
April 19th, 2011, 10:52 PM
If you can get Vetri-DMG (http://www.vetriscience.com/vetri-dmg-tablets-liquid.php) I recommend it for immune support, follow label instructions based on weight. If you can't find the vet formula they also have a human formula which works just as well (likely a bit cheaper) Aangamik DMG (http://www.fslabs.com/vitamins-supplements/aangamik-dmg-300mg-liquid.php), follow label instructions for children under 2 years. To be kept in the refrigerator.

I have used the liquid for both upon recommendation of a Homeopath vet for a CRF cat, and would also suggest using the liquid not the pills especially w/her breathing difficulty, it can be administered directly by dropper provided or added to her food just ensure she finishes her dinner.

loopoo
April 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM
for one thing, turn your shower on full heat and tilt till the room is full of steam, take your kitty in there with yourself for a five min period, do this several times, it helps with the congestion... went through this a couple of times with a couple of kitties that had respiratory infections)
Also, just for the immune, transfer factor, here is a version i use, have used on both dogs and cats... can start with a quarter capsule mixed in with her food, great for the immune, can even move up to 1/2 capsule if she was in dire need, should cause no side effects, never has with any of mine. Here is a good link below to order from I have ordered many times from there

http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Wellness-Transfer-Factor-12-5-mg-30-Capsules

Hope your sweet kitty feels better soon

kathryn
April 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys. I draped a shower curtain over her crate and put the humidifier under it to create a little steam tent... that is really helping. it gets nice and humid in there but not overly so as to obviously hurt her or anything, i have the front open for ventilation but the vaporizer seems to be helping :thumbs up

Here is what was sent to me today

I spoke with Tracy. She said Amira's littermates have had tons of tests, none of which showed anything specific. She said if she felt it necessary, she would pay to have bloodwork done, but she doesn't feel it is needed since her vet friend couldn't pin point anything specific other than a very weak immune system ,possibly a chronic herpes virus. She said that Amira is going to have chronic issues throughout her whole entire life and that she has no problem taking her back. She said that some of Donna's other cats had to be on an antibioitcs the rest of their life and some didn't even live past 4 years old. I know you are really attached, but I"m thinking that this could be a humungus burden on you if you decide to keep her. She sounds like she is going to have constant non-stop issues. What are your thoughts?

I really don't want to just send her back.... Tracy is the breeder that originally rescued her... the response was from my rescue friend that is helping me out that originally sent Tracy to me for fostering... ughh... just don't know what to do. :(

I'm going to see if I can apply for pet insurance ASAP and maybe get her a health care plan so wherever the cat ends up she will be covered :fingerscr Technically right now she doesn't have any specific diagnoses one way or another, so I hope I can get a plan for her...

pattymac
April 20th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I would see about a holistic vet or someone who does acupuncture for animals. It's quite amazing what acupuncture can do. I had it done on my old Manx kitty, he was starting to have bowel issues which can happen to them as they get older because of their shortened spine. Anyway, it really helped him and the effects lasted for quite awhile, he was able to go poop like normal. From what I've seen even some regular style vets have started to practice it.

kathryn
April 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks. I applied for VPI pet insurance before we go any further, because technically right now she doesn't officially have anything wrong with her, other than the nose issues. It's $20/month and has a 250 deductible or whatever, but it might take 2 weeks to go into effect if I am approved. So, in the mean time I am going to go to the shelter and do bloodwork there off the books.. see what happens... hopefully go to Whole Foods tomorrow and grab some supplement.

Shaykeija
April 20th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I hope she feels better....

kathryn
April 21st, 2011, 12:29 AM
I hope she feels better....

Thanks.

OH, I have a question for everyone. This one friend of mine is INSISTING I add Ester-C to her food. Thoughts? I don't think it is going to help.

Shaykeija
April 21st, 2011, 12:32 AM
14 + might have an answer for you

sugarcatmom
April 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM
OH, I have a question for everyone. This one friend of mine is INSISTING I add Ester-C to her food. Thoughts? I don't think it is going to help.

Ester-C is calcium ascorbate (if you have a health food store with bulk bins, you might be able to get a small amount for cheaper - and unflavoured!). I do know of people that use it in URI cases, about 250mg a day. Watch out for diarrhea though.

Have you been giving her L-lysine at all? (500mg twice a day while symptoms are severe).

While you're out shopping, capsules of freeze-dried stinging nettles can help dry up congestion. 100mg mixed in with each meal of wet food until symptoms subside.

Here's a link to more holistic URI info, if you're interested: http://www.holisticat.com/uri.html

kathryn
April 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Ester-C is calcium ascorbate (if you have a health food store with bulk bins, you might be able to get a small amount for cheaper - and unflavoured!). I do know of people that use it in URI cases, about 250mg a day. Watch out for diarrhea though.

Have you been giving her L-lysine at all? (500mg twice a day while symptoms are severe).

While you're out shopping, capsules of freeze-dried stinging nettles can help dry up congestion. 100mg mixed in with each meal of wet food until symptoms subside.

Here's a link to more holistic URI info, if you're interested: http://www.holisticat.com/uri.html

Thank you :thumbs up I was unable to find it unflavored though!! All had funky fruity flavors :frustrated: nooo way in heck I am gonna try to give that to Amira.

Picked up Lysine... will add that tonight. Also adding Taurine because I have a big bottle of the capsules for no apparent reason... and Geneflora to keep her regulated since she was eating off schedule from being congested.

I'm not home right now, but she was doing MUCH better this morning, no blood but still congested. Will try to figure out how to put a video up later :loser:

Also, did get the health insurance

RE: Pet's Name: AMIRA Policy No: --------

Dear KATHRYN:

Welcome to VPI Pet Insurance! We are pleased to inform you that AMIRA
has been approved for a VPI Pet Insurance policy.

Your policy will be sent once we successfully process payment with the
information you provided upon application. When you receive your policy,
please refer to the Declarations Page for the effective date of your pet's
coverage.

Just as with your own health insurance, there are certain conditions that are
excluded from coverage, such as pre-existing medical conditions. The terms of
our policy define pre-existing conditions as conditions that began or were
contracted, manifested, or incurred prior to the policy effective date,
whether or not the condition was discovered, diagnosed, or treated.

Based on all the information provided, the following pre-existing medical
condition(s) will be excluded from your pet's policy:

- 1323 - FUNGAL SKIN DISEASE

2006 - FELINE UPPER RESPIRATORY DISEASE COMPLEX .

Please note that some pre-existing conditions are considered temporary and can
be reviewed for future coverage eligibility. To be eligible for review, the
condition must be deemed cured for a minimum of six months and not likely to
require additional monitoring or treatment. Chronic conditions or conditions
that cannot be cured will remain as exclusions on the policy.

For more information regarding your pet's policy, please call our Customer
Care Department at 800-540-2016. Thank you again for choosing VPI Pet
Insurance, the trusted choice of America's pet lovers.

Sincerely,

Underwriting Department
Veterinary Pet Insurance / D.V.M Insurance Agency
P.O. Box 2344
Brea, CA 92822-2344

Phone: (800) 872-7387
Fax: (866) 332-3994

I was $40 upfront for two months and has a $250 yearly deductible & has an 89% reimbursement.. I think that should be good enough.

pattymac
April 21st, 2011, 06:40 PM
Oh that's good to hear that she's feeling better and you got your insurance for her!

kathryn
April 22nd, 2011, 12:10 AM
Okay just wanted to give everyone an update.. she's hanging in there I am going to try to put a video up later of her breathing.

Right, so when I originally took Amira on from the breeder that rescued her who I was introduced to through my friend that runs a rescue, I was under the impression that the deal was that by me doing an emergency foster and doing all the work with her and providing food, litter etc that the breeder would be covering the vet costs... apparently I was mistaken?? :confused: Because now that I am having problems with her so much and asking for help with getting her to the vets and stuff, the lady finally got back to me after I had to call my rescue friend and she told me the agreement was that I was getting a $1,500 cat for free in exchange for dealing with & paying for her medical issues............ righttt... does that sound like something I would agree to? :confused:

Okay, well whatever. ANYWAY I am now just going to officially adopt Amira and I guess I am stuck dealing with all the bills on my own now :shrug: I give up. I don't even think I can go into all the details with this whole gigantic mess right now. I'm pretty much screwed though.. and I really can't even say that this breeder is a bad lady or something, I don't really feel that she is, I just feel like this was not made very clear to me from the start. I have the original email correspondences which still seem to give me the same impression, that by pouring my heart into saving this cat that the lady would be covering the medical costs. I wasn't made aware how serious the situation was until I already had Amira for some time and became attached. So what, am I just going to ship her back now and save myself the money? Yeah, don't think so.

pattymac
April 22nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
I really, really hope that she pulls through for you!! Kitties here are keeping their paws crossed for both of you! (And me too)

kathryn
April 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hi all, she is on Gentamicin .3% / Betamethasone SP .1% nasal drops as of today. The vet at the shelter suspects major long term issues with her. The top priority right now is to get her nose cleared up so she can get spayed ASAP since she keeps going into heat.

Her other littermate died at the hospital today. The other one is still there hanging on. I had some conflict with the breeder that rescued her and she isn't really talking to me now, I heard it through my friend.

pattymac
May 5th, 2011, 02:18 AM
That's so sad about her littermates. How is she doing now with the new meds? Hope she's feeling better now.

kathryn
May 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
That's so sad about her littermates. How is she doing now with the new meds? Hope she's feeling better now.

She is doing much better, but she still is not growing no matter what I do. I haven't weighed her in a while but I can tell she is still basically the same size. She is heavier now but that's about it... she is still on the nose drops that are anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial.. no more green snot :highfive: