Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty cold

hedgiemama
April 19th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think Nero has a little cold. He has been sneezing alot and his nose seems a little wetter. Im probably just worrying, but would it clear up itself or will it need something to get rid of it?

catlover2
April 28th, 2011, 11:01 PM
How old is your kitty? Has it had its shots? It may have an upper respiratory infection. I suggest you take it to a vet to be checked out.

kathryn
April 28th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Is your cat vaccinated & has he had any recent exposure to anything weird? New pets? New cleaners in your home? New plants in or around your home? Is the sneezing congested? Wet/Dry sneezing? What color is the mucus?

sugarcatmom
April 28th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Make sure his appetite is still good as sometimes a stuffed up nose will cause kitties to go off their food. You could add about 250mg of L-lysine to his wet food twice a day, and if he gets more congested, hang out with him in the bathroom while a hot shower is running. Otherwise, there isn't much a vet will be able to do. They tend to be trigger-happy with the antibiotics, and unless there is a secondary infection, antibiotics are useless against viruses.

hedgiemama
April 29th, 2011, 10:14 AM
He is up to date on shots, and i think allymack said he was 7 now. His sneezing seems to be mostly clearing up now, still a couple more than usual but nothing that seems to be worrying my any more! There was no mucus from the sneezes, which is why i assumed it wasnt anything too serious.

hazelrunpack
April 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I'm glad he's feeling better!

kathryn
April 29th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Okay if there is no mucus or other major problems follow what SCM said and your kitty should start to feel even better soon :) I only go to the vets for stuff like this if it lasts more than a couple days or they start to not act right . Otherwise i keep stuff on hand and I've not really ever had any major problems