Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone ever use Program for ringworm?

brianna079
April 16th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I am wondering if anyone has used Program to treat ringworm? I have read that it is controvertial, as some vets say it is effetive, and others say not. The vets who have had success with it have used a much higher dosage that for flea control. Any experiences?

kathryn
April 16th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I am wondering if anyone has used Program to treat ringworm? I have read that it is controvertial, as some vets say it is effetive, and others say not. The vets who have had success with it have used a much higher dosage that for flea control. Any experiences?

Same here. I know of vets that will use it and others that think it's a crock. Want to know how I treat my ringworm cats? The old fashioned way.. I buy a $5 tube of miconazole cream and apply it to the affected areas 2 or 3 times a day and the ringworm is gone in 1-3 weeks. I don't know why people make such a stink about ringworm... It's annoying and kind of gross looking but beyond that it's not a huge deal. Amira (my foster) broke with ringworm a little over 2 weeks after I got her and I just picked up some athletes foot cream and kept applying it and viola, it's all gone. I didn't quarantine her and come into the room with a gas mask and a safety suite... just put the cream on her and cleaned up the house and washed some stuff in hot water and bleach to keep it contained and guess what... none of my cats got it and neither did any humans in the house :thumbs up

Goldfields
April 17th, 2011, 05:05 AM
And I on the other hand, Kathryn, was given my Persian kitten, took a video of her meeting the cattle dogs, and everywhere she put her dainty paw on them, they got ringworm. :D We didn't know she had it till it showed up on them, but sure enough , her feet flouresced under a Woods lamp. I had to quarantine my show team right when my red dog needed just one challenge for his Ch title. Not impressed! :mad:
And, at a racing stable I worked at, I told them that what they thought were oat boils were actually ring worm, and they didn't believe me till one of the lads got a humongous ringworm on his stomach. :laughing: In the mean time they'd used the same sets of brushes to groom all their horses, so it went through them like wildfire. Very contagious.
I think tincture of iodine gets rid of it too, doesn't it?

brianna079
April 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Goldfields - one of my old show ponies broke out in ringworm. I was not impressed, as it was also just before show season. Best results I had on the horses, was lime sulphur baths (diluted 1:10).
For the cats I have had success with Nizoral, but for the ferals who can't be handled, there is no way to safely treat them if they do get it. Thats why I am looking into the Program, and at what dosage was safe but effective, as all my findings stated that a much higher dosage is needed than the recommended dosage for flea control.

kathryn
April 17th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Goldfields - one of my old show ponies broke out in ringworm. I was not impressed, as it was also just before show season. Best results I had on the horses, was lime sulphur baths (diluted 1:10).
For the cats I have had success with Nizoral, but for the ferals who can't be handled, there is no way to safely treat them if they do get it. Thats why I am looking into the Program, and at what dosage was safe but effective, as all my findings stated that a much higher dosage is needed than the recommended dosage for flea control.

Yeah, Lime Dips are the only other thing I know to be effective, I never bother with them, seems to be more trouble than it's worth for small break outs which is all I've ever dealt with.

Oddly enough, I have Lupus and am immunocompromised and surely you'd think I'd pick up ringworm like crazy... but nope, never get it :shrug: Even proved a point with Amira when she had it by taking her and rubbing her ringworm spots all over my skin :p

I would say, for the ferals... the program thing is gonna be useless and you are wasting your time and money :2cents: The only orally approved meds for ringworm are Itraconazole (Sporanox) or ... one or two other ones that slip my mind. Anywayysss the major problem with the orally given ringworm meds is they have HIGH risk of side effects! Bad side effects too! Dang, I wish I could remember the one medicine... there is one that has a lower risk of side effects but is VERY expensive. Like, worth it's weight in gold lol

If it were my ferals...... hmm.. I'd probably take my chances trying to apply some cream to them. But, I'd do it by putting the cream on maybe the end of a long paintbrush and brush it on to them through the bars of a safe crate? Does that seem feasible? (Well, technically if it were me I'd just do this the lazy way and get some anesthetics from one of my vet friends and knock the cats out lol)

Goldfields
April 18th, 2011, 10:56 AM
When my dogs got it off the Persian I treated all of them with Grisovin(sp?). All up it cost $500, which was a fair bit back in '98. That's a good idea about painting cream onto the feral cats, Kathryn. This is the worst one I've had, and it was actually a mass of ringworms in one spot, on poor Sweetie's muzzle.

Goldfields
April 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I know, hit send before I remembered the photo. :D

kathryn
April 18th, 2011, 11:25 AM
When my dogs got it off the Persian I treated all of them with Grisovin(sp?). All up it cost $500, which was a fair bit back in '98. That's a good idea about painting cream onto the feral cats, Kathryn. This is the worst one I've had, and it was actually a mass of ringworms in one spot, on poor Sweetie's muzzle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griseofulvin :thumbs up That's the one... very expensive, but supposedly has less chance of side effects.

Yikes, sorry to see that happened to Sweetie! My one cat had a spot on her side that got infected before because she is long haired.. I ended up shaving all the hair around the spot and applying the fungal cream along with an antibiotic cream I had on hand and it cleared up in a few days thankfully... that is one of only two times any of my cats actually caught ringworm.

Goldfields
April 18th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I've had bad luck with cats and ringworm, Kathryn. Got two ginger siblings from a farm litter and they both had ringworm. One lived till just 9, the skinnier one to 17, then we got Pheobe, the persian, and she had ringworm. I also picked up ringworm myself when I was a child through letting a cat get on my shoulder and rub against my neck. That would have been Muffin, my brother's cat. So .... geuss who isn't allowing another cat onto the place without they are checked with a Wood's lamp first? LOL. Don't mind them having it but have to know whether to quarantine them. I might just write that down about the lime sulphur and the ratio, thanks for that brianna079. I haven't had it on my own ponies or horses, thank heaven.

Bina
April 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM
One summer my horse had it on his neck and since ringworm is a fungus and not a parasite, I just used some anti-fungal soap for a few days and it cleared up nicely.

brianna079
April 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Goldfields - if you do your kitties in a lime sulphur dip, you d o not rince it off after, but you will have to put one of them cone-lampshade-helmet-thingy so they dont lick while it is drying...it stinks like crazy (ever smelt rotten eggs?) but once it is dry the smell drifts away.

Goldfields
April 18th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Fingers crossed that we never have the need to do that then LOL. Especially not for an indoor cat. I will use it on ponies that are in the open air if ours ever get them. My red dog, Perkins, could find ringworms on my shelties, which was handy. Whatever spot seemed to interest him in their coat, there would be a ringworm.