Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Ashley

pxxiegirl
September 24th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I posted last week about my stray cat that I brought in off the street. I took her to the vet and ws told she was pregnant by my vet's new resident. Today Ashley went in for her abortion, spay, dental, etc. We saw the regular vet this morning before surgery. I asked if she was indeed pg because I had not noticed any change in her in the 2 weeks I've had her. He felt around and looked her over and said she was not pregnant because she is a NEUTERED BOY! (The vet estimates Ashley to be about 8 years old)

So yea! for that, but he did do blood work before the teeth cleaning and discovered that his liver enzymes are elevated 4 times the norm. Should be 100 or less. Ashley is 400. He put her on medication for 2 weeks to see if it changes. If not, I don't know what the options are. He said there is a possibility he has liver cancer.

This has become quite a rescue. I have to give him a pill once a day, antibiotic drops 2x a day, and clean his ears and apply earmite drops everyday for 2 weeks. He's not liking any of it needless to say.

(For those of you who knew I was also planning on declawing...I am not going to do that to him. After learning what it is all about I was really having second thoughts and now since this little guy may not have a lot of years left, I'm not going to do it to him.)

Bugsy
September 24th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Seems like Ashley/Ashton came upon her/his
"fairy godmother" :)

Sneaky2006
September 25th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Wow, I can't believe a resident couldn't tell the difference between a pregnant female and a male!!?
Even I can tell the difference between male and female cats! Fixed or not!
Unless a pregnant female looks like a neutered male down yonder? I don't think so though.

chico2
September 25th, 2004, 08:22 AM
It's not the first time I hear someone thinking a male is a female,how could they miss the little ballsies,neutered or not :D
The poor guy must have been beside himself,when,to top it all off he was thought to be preggie :D :D
Pxxie,jokes aside...I am hoping he does not have livercancer and am a little concerned the vet would say that to you,without further testing.
All in all though,you are doing a wonderful thing caring for him and I am happy you decided not to cause him further stress by mutilating his paws.

BamaRama
September 25th, 2004, 08:39 AM
how could they miss the little ballsies,neutered or not :D

LOL Chico this made me laugh really hard for some reason! It's wayyy too early in the morning! :D

pxxiegirl
September 25th, 2004, 12:28 PM
This vet is also a veterinary medicine teacher so I think he forgets I am not a student. He always goes over all the possible causes of symptom. I just found out he is retiring from practice to teach fulltime. That leaves me with the vet who mistook Ashely for a pg female. I guess I'll be finding a new vet's office.

chico2
September 25th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Good idea pxxie :D :D

BigDog
September 25th, 2004, 08:17 PM
It's so good your regular vet appeared in time - can you imagine poor kitty in the operation room with that resident, who discovered it is a male cat only after opening it's tummy! :confused: :mad:
Lucky cat I must say! I hope his luck will go on and he doesn't have any cancer.
You are a wonderful person to give this poor boy his chance!

wAggie
September 26th, 2004, 10:24 PM
*hugs to kitty and new mommy!* :D

keep us posted, and try to post a pic or two... :)

pxxiegirl
September 28th, 2004, 12:25 AM
This is Ashley/Ashton. I'm going to do everything in my power to make this guy healthy again. He and I are becoming quite attached. He is sitting on my lap right now. Our favorite time of day is when I sit down at the computer desk. He jumps in my lap and falls asleep.

Bugsy
September 28th, 2004, 12:51 AM
What a cutie pie...I'm keeping my fingers crossed I hope it
all works out. He is sooo lucky to have found you ;)

Cinnabear
September 28th, 2004, 01:22 AM
What a gorgeous cat. :)

krdahmer
September 28th, 2004, 01:54 AM
OH he's so handsome...I bet he'll clean up great and be an e xcellentcompanion(I'll leave that like that cause Buddy helped my type it....LOL :rolleyes: ) He's also a big fan of computer time!