Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hard lumps on sides

Dobelady
April 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM
My young male Doberman has about 5 or 6 hard pea-sized lumps on each side his rib cage. There is nothing coming out of them, no hair loss, and no itchiness. They are just hard little pebbles with flaky skin on them.

I noticed the first one back in January and thought it was a welt from playing with a friends dog. Then he developed a couple more which I attributed to them playing or him knocking his sides running in and out of his crate (he has no body awareness). When his playmate came into heat, he was "banned" from see her for over a month and yet they never went away. In fact, he developed a few more! I've tried leaving the lumps alone, tried squeezing them, tried hot compresses, tea tree oil shampoo, calamine lotion- the lotion seems to have worked a bit...

Besides this, and this is a bit embarrassing, he's got dry, cracked testicles :eek: We figured it was from the cold with it being winter and full of snow. My last male was neutered as a puppy so I never had to experience any testicle issues before! I was told to moisturize them (again, embarrassing)...which I did with Vitamin E cream. I've since noticed a few pustules on them.

Since the weather's warmer and these issues haven't gone away, he has an appointment on Tuesday to get this checked as well as getting heartworm preventative meds.

Some background on Bosco- 12 month old intact male- could his hormones be a possible cause? Could it be the show shine (PlushPuppy) we use? COuld it be his food? He eats Acana grain free. I really hesitate to say it's an allergy because the lumps don't bother him and don't look irritated in any way. Bosco is acting like himself! Crazy energy, very happy baby, loves to eat, play, you name it! The lumps are definitely bothering me more than him!

Anyway, just looking for some suggestions before the vet visit.

Shaykeija
April 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
is he supposed to be a show dog? And please take your unaltered pet to a vet to get checked out.

Dobelady
April 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Yes he is a show dog, hence the use of Plush Puppy show shine spray. And as stated in my post, he has an appointment on Tuesday.

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I think I'd be more worried about pustules than the hard lumps. Pustules are often caused by staph infections. Did the vet look at them when he recommended the vit. E moisturizer?

And the lumps--are they 5 or 6 to a side, or 5 or 6 total? And where on the side are they located (higher up, toward the belly, midway between belly and back)?

Dobelady
April 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I've noticed the pustules a few weeks after I started moisturizing them. But it's typically been one here and there.

The lumps are directly on his side, with a few midway up to his back. There are about 5-6 on each side. His show side is the worst as they seem to be a bit more prominent.

I honestly have no idea if it will be a staph infection or not. Dobes seem to be prone to them but usually they get pimples on their chin. The testicle thing is new to me!

mummummum
April 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
And the lumps--are they 5 or 6 to a side, or 5 or 6 total? And where on the side are they located (higher up, toward the belly, midway between belly and back)?

Just a kindly reminder that we are not Veterinarians here and cannot diagnose your pup. :thumbs up

On another note, please don't be embarrassed about anything on THIS forum. We celebrate (and sometimes discuss at length)... good poop. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
She has a vet appointment set up for Tues, MMM, so she'll get a diagnosis then. :thumbs up As for the question about where the lumps were, I just wanted to make sure we could rule out nipples. :o Some owners are surprised by the presence of nipples on male dogs. These sound too high up, though.

Shaykeija
April 15th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Well I am glad the the dog is getting vet checked. I know with Tyra, her being a proven Champion, she gets so much as a bruise, she is at the vet. Oh yes pictures are a must on this site...right Hazel? LOL We do love them puppers pictures..

Dobelady
April 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
lol @ the nipples comment!

Pics are up in the gallery :)

hazelrunpack
April 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I saw them! Beautiful!

Shaykeija
April 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Very nice....used to be scared poopless of dobies until I got really drunk and had a conversation with one.

Pike
April 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Gorgeous pictures Dobelady, 2 stunning pups! Please keep us posted on how you fare at the vet's on Tuesday :pawprint:

mummummum
April 15th, 2011, 09:55 PM
She has a vet appointment set up for Tues, MMM, so she'll get a diagnosis then. :thumbs up

Noticed the Vet appt pretty much right away <:laughing: I'm decrepit remember, not entirely deficient :cool:> but, as any dog owner knows a diagnosis may not happen on the first visit.

As for the question about where the lumps were, I just wanted to make sure we could rule out nipples. :o Some owners are surprised by the presence of nipples on male dogs. These sound too high up, though.

As for the answer, i just want to ensure that your clinically-phrased questions are not misunderstood as diagnostic in nature. Context is everything after all. Right Pike?

....and...I will mea culpa on that note. You and I Hazel do share an affinity for science.

As for the Dober-doos. I had a HUGE male dobie who had<nipples almost as big as mine, my dawg, what a surprize I got when I "copped a feel" By jayzus, nearly jumped off my skin

mummummum
April 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
lol @ the nipples comment!

Pics are up in the gallery :)

I saw them! Beautiful!

:sorry: Truly I am...

But sometimes I just can't resist...

growler~GateKeeper
April 15th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Hope all is well with your pup, they're all gorgeous

Shaykeija
April 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM
:offtopic: but could not resist.....

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c255/reubenmafia713/dogbikini.jpg

Shaykeija
April 15th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Growler, what happened to you laughing icons?

Dobelady
April 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Had our vet appt this afternoon. Doc says they're intradermal cysts and pup is on a 6 week course of Cephalexin, with vet visit every 2 weeks until meds are done. Doc also said she treated a Boerbel with the exact same symptoms a while back.
And she said it's back to moisturizing pup's testicles...:o I've got a good stock of Vit. E capsules now!

hazelrunpack
April 19th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I'm glad you got some answers at the vet! :thumbs up I've never heard of intradermal cysts. Did he say what causes them?

If you're going to have your pup on Cephalexin for so long, you might want to ask your vet if it's okay to add a probiotic to his food. It'll help prevent intestinal upset from the antibiotics.

Dobelady
April 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Basically she said they are cysts that formed deep into the layers of skin. And seems to be an infection of the hair follicle. Only one of the cysts released some a tiny bit of fluid. And one cyst has now formed another right next to it and I think it's from the vet poking and prodding at it yesterday.

My gut feeling tells me it's from that stupid show shine spray. I should probably take to bathing him after every show or at least wiping him down really good.

I will definitely be calling the vet about probiotics though. Poor bugger has such soft stool now after last nights dose and this morning's does. Still a happy baby though!

Dobelady
May 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Bosco had his two week recheck this afternoon. Lumps have gone down- more on one side than the other but both sides are responding to the meds. His testicles have also cleared up almost 100%.

Only problem now is the pano that he suffered from 3 months ago is back and more painful than before.

Ahhh the joys of puppies and growing up!!!:frustrated:

hazelrunpack
May 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM
Good news about the response to the meds...not so good about the pano! Poor guy! Hope he recovers from that soon and that the lumps clear up completely! :goodvibes: