Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

litter box mineral oil please

kittymeow
April 15th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I am not sure if this were asked elsewhere forgive me if it was. Tho' I currently have had an issue with my cat she is sixteen years old. She kept going to her litter box more frequently than normal. I noticed that she was straining to attempt to go. She would still eat and drink a lot, I became upset.

Is it safe to have given her one teaspoon of mineral oil in wet food ? Is it harmful ? I also gave her some lactose free milk.

growler~GateKeeper
April 15th, 2011, 01:08 AM
When was the last time your kitty was at the vet for a full check, blood panel & urinalysis? If it's been more than 6 months then it's time for a vet check.

When did this first start?

Is she trying to pee or poop? Sometimes it can look like they are trying to poop when infact they are straining to pee. Is she having any success at all?

If she is straining to poop - When was the last time she went & was it normal or too dry/too soft?

If she is straining to pee is she actually peeing or just dribbling?

Your best bet is a vet visit as soon as possible to determine the reason for the straining in order to prevent future occurrences or manage the cause.

I would not give mineral oil to your cat, it is not a substance that is cleared easily from the body and may cause more harm than good.