Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much should you pay?

jackieb
September 24th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Am at the moment looking into all avenues of getting a english mastiff am also consdering purchasing a puppy. I am from England and do not know how much a pedigree english mastiff should be CAD. They seem alot cheaper in America but you have to obviously ship them.
can anyone help

pug lover
September 24th, 2004, 06:04 PM
the airline costs vary between carriers, air canada is aprox $400.00 so add aprox that cost to your puppy plus the cost of an airline approved carrier

Lucky Rescue
September 24th, 2004, 06:32 PM
I know around here, to get a Doberman puppy - pet quality,docked and cropped etc - from titled and health tested parents is 1200$. I would imagine a Mastiff with the same qualifications would be at least that much or more.

jackieb
September 25th, 2004, 05:58 AM
It just i see abreeders site and they want 2500 cad seemed alot to me they said it was the going rate

LavenderRott
September 25th, 2004, 08:10 AM
For that price, mom and dad had better have championships, working titles, and have all health clearances!

Cflat
September 25th, 2004, 08:23 AM
For that price the dog better be able to vaccuum, answer the phone and do the laundry!!

Seriously, you could adopt a whole pack of dogs for that? Think of all the good that much money could do homeless pets.

LavenderRott
September 25th, 2004, 08:45 AM
My best advice would be this -

Do not buy a dog you haven't met in person. This means avoid internet websites. Anyone can post anything on the internet. Pictures of great kennels may not be the kennels that your pup was born in. Puppies playing with adoring kids may not be the puppies that are being sold. Heck, I have heard of entire websites being copied and used by someone else! Mastiffs have many of the same problems as rottweilers. If you buy a puppy from the states, make sure that you have sire and dam's OFA numbers for hip, elbow, and heart certificates. These can be checked on OFA's website.

Attend a couple of dog shows in your area. Meet people with the type of dog you are interested in. Talk to them. They will be able to direct you to a reputable breeder.

Britishvixen21
September 26th, 2004, 01:31 AM
the Canadian Kennel Club website has a list of all breeds and recognised breeders! $2500 does seem a little much! but do keep checking your local Humane Society they often have all breeds, colours and ages!

Im from England too, and in search of a pup its very different here!!! Nice to see a fellow brit on here! How long have you been here?

jackieb
September 27th, 2004, 07:30 AM
I have been here four weeks I