Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Preventative meds/vaccines

erykah1310
April 11th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Just curious the percentage of people here who give what as a preventative to their pets. (all included, dogs/cats/goats/horses ect)

kathryn
April 11th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Indoor cats:
Rabies as required by NJ state law which is a 1 year vaccine for the first one then every 3 years. Merial or Shering-Plough Brand usually

FVRCP is the ONLY other vaccine I do, and strictly just the plain FVRCP usually the Schering-Plough one or Merial. I vaccinate FVRCP myself. I buy them from trays and have my own needles and it saves some money. I do the kitten series for fosters of course. For my adult cats I do it yearly because I have alot of cats that pass through my house on a regular basis.. feral, fosters etc. I would rather just stay ontop of the FVRCP to be safe for a few years, but I intend to reduce it to every 2-3 years once they are older (like 8+)

Flea & Tick- Dose down the large dog Advantage or Frontline Plus. Apply it every 4-6 weeks except when there is snow on the ground (December through February)

Worms- Pyrantel every few weeks. Drontal Plus as needed... occasionally worms make their way in nothing I can do about that, my one cat is a mouser/hunter and got tape worms from killing a critter recently.

I just use opened/free product too. Like, when I worked at the shelter reps from companies would come in and give you free stuff if you promised to tell clients how awesome the product was lol once the Frontline guy gave me 2 six packs of Large Dog Frontline Plus :eek: People give me stuff often too, like Advantage Multi etc etc.

Vet exams : Yearly and as needed for illnesses or injury

Ferals:
FVRCP & rabies at time of spay/neuter and I catch them as I can and update their FVRCP since I usually have a supply in my fridge. Legally not allowed to do rabies in NJ since I am not a vet, so I can't do much about that...

I put dewormer in their food all the time too just to try and keep them healthy, I also use Frontline Spray on them and spray down their bedding to keep fleas and ticks away.

Also use Holisitic stuff as needed... generally prefer to just stick to the stuff I get from the shelter or from the pet store I work at because I've not had any problems, I just try and be careful not to totally overload them with a bunch of chemicals.

hazelrunpack
April 11th, 2011, 09:25 PM
We have lepto and Lyme's endemic to the area, so the Pack get those annually--so many ticks and wildlife here that not to get the vaccinations would be foolhardy. We use topical meds (Frontline and Frontline Plus) for ticks...works pretty well, but isn't 100%, so we still need the Lyme's vaccinations. The Lyme's vaccine seems to work pretty well and if they had one out against anaplasmosis, we'd likely get that one, too. :o

We don't do kennel cough, though--we did for a long while, but they kept picking up kennel cough while at the vet for tests even when vaccinated. :rolleyes: And believe me, there's nothing quite like the sound of 8 dogs all coughing and snorking and gagging at the same time in the middle of the night :eek: At any rate, we don't do that one routinely anymore because it doesn't seem to be too effective against the strains of KC we run up against.

Just have the dogs to do, but I wish I had some goats. :D

kathryn
April 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
We don't do kennel cough, though--we did for a long while, but they kept picking up kennel cough while at the vet for tests even when vaccinated. :rolleyes: And believe me, there's nothing quite like the sound of 8 dogs all coughing and snorking and gagging at the same time in the middle of the night :eek: At any rate, we don't do that one routinely anymore because it doesn't seem to be too effective against the strains of KC we run up against.

Just have the dogs to do, but I wish I had some goats. :D

Yeah, that's always one problem that the KC vaccine is mainly used to cover boarding places butts, otherwise it's pretty useless :shrug: We just used the intranasal one where I worked which was always SUPER fun trying to use.. I always joked that I'm totally protected against Kennel Cough given the number of times I missed the dogs face and sprayed the vaccine in my eye or up my own nose! :thumbs up

erykah1310
April 11th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Atleast you would be protected lol

hazelrunpack
April 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Aren't there just tons of different strains of KC? Sort of like the human cold? It just seems like a useless sort of vaccine since it only covers a few of them... :shrug:

The lepto vaccine is sort of the same, though--only protects for some serovars, not others. At least, though, the serovars protected against are ones that our dogs seem to be exposed to. It's not 100% effective, cuz they do come down with it now and then, but their cases are always very mild, so I think the vaccine is helping to at least moderate the severity of the disease.

erykah1310
April 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I titer for vaccinations and do rabies every 3 years as required.
I dont do any parasite preventative but test the dogs anually for heart worm.

Mr.Floyd is on Revolution for life as he seems to have no immune system at all. He is also the only one vaccinated on scheduele like clock work. He's our million dollar kitty who just has so many little problems its the safest route for him.

I am probably going to give the Lepto vaccine to the dogs this year as there has been increased cases of it in the area and we are always in the bush or swamps or what ever in the summer. The horse vet is going to vaccinate them for it all on property when she comes for the horses.

The horses I do the 5 way vaccine, but this year will most likely only do flu and rhino. We're safe from strangles since everyone has had it this winter.

hazelrunpack
April 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
All of them had strangles? :eek: Holy catz! :grouphug: Do horses contract lepto?

erykah1310
April 11th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure at all Hazel. I will look into that.
And yes all the horses had strangles at the same time... not fun. Yay boarding barns lol, of course it started to show on them when I took them home and added Viggo to the mix.

Bina
April 11th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I can't really use the tick offs on the above poll because all my pets are different.
But at least we do have all 4....dogs, cats, goats, horses. ;)

Horses: Always had all vaccs because of winter boarding in another barn.

Goats: Had all vaccs for the first 4 years, then the vacc type was changed and I almost lost my doe after being vaccinated. Now I don't vacc them, and their breeder is okay with it.

Dogs: Have passed away but always had all vaccs until their senior years. Had flea and heartworm prevention also until their senior years.

Cats: Original 2 permanent house cats not vacced and were part of a study for Pfizer after being vacced at middle age.
Mitten the foundling kitten was vacced and wormed same year as being spayed. she is now a permanent house cat with occasional worming. (she will catch mouses in the sun room)

erykah1310
April 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'll add too for the horses I am on a regular worming program, thats what got me thinking of this poll and the results actually. I was looking at alternatives for an Ivermectin horse wormers since I do not know Meiko's status of the MDR1 thing.

kathryn
April 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Aren't there just tons of different strains of KC? Sort of like the human cold? It just seems like a useless sort of vaccine since it only covers a few of them... :shrug:

The lepto vaccine is sort of the same, though--only protects for some serovars, not others. At least, though, the serovars protected against are ones that our dogs seem to be exposed to. It's not 100% effective, cuz they do come down with it now and then, but their cases are always very mild, so I think the vaccine is helping to at least moderate the severity of the disease.

Yep pretty much you hit the nail on the head right there. We don't really do lepto where I live because the risk of the vaccine outweighs the actually risk for the area where I live

Bina
April 11th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I think with my horses we used 3 diff wormers.
Vet did them in November and I did the tube paste in summers with rotation of brands.

kathryn
April 11th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I guess I should also add I will be starting to do regular wormings of my reptiles with Panacur from now on as well, just to be safe.