Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Luxating patella specialist around Ottawa or Montreal?

althe
April 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM
My 18-month dog (70 pounds Border collie mix) appears to have symptoms of luxating patella. So far I've spent a lot of $$ on vet examinations and xRays and have received a variety of sometimes contradictory diagnoses (from 3 diff vets) ranging from it's a "medical mystery"; it's definitely patellar luxation; it's definitely not patellar luxation; treatment requires surgery; let's just "manage it for now and see what happens"; if it is PL then it's only a stage 1 so do nothing; etc.

At this point I'm left to do my own research/reading to try and determine the best course of action. I see no point in continuing to give money to vets who don't seem to know too much about the condition. If any members know of vets or clinics who've performed surgery on large dogs with PL, anywhere between Ottawa/Montreal, I sure would appreciate it if you could share the info.

Thanks

BenMax
April 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Did you try DMV? There is an excellent surgeon there.

cell
April 11th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I am in the same boat my 20 month old Dachshund was diagnosed as well. He is grade 1, his knees pop out a lot but pop back in as well.
I started him on Glucosamine, Chondriotin and MSM a bit over a week ago and he is exercising more now that the weather is nicer. It doesn't hurt him (yet) but I hate to see him hop on 3 legs or see his leg wobble as the knee pops in and out.

I was given 2 pieces of info from the vet. Who said he doesn't need surgery at this point.

Go to St Hyacinthe vet school (or you could go to Guelph in Ontario) or go to an orthopedic surgeon Dr. Louis Hunneault at Hopital Veterinaire Rive-Sud ( www.hvrs.com) in Brossard.

free
April 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
my sister used the dmv for her dogs surgery. she really liked them there

althe
April 12th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Thank you for these references. Hopefully one of these people/places will be able to give me a clearer picture of what I can expect and what I need to prepare for and some kind of time frame. I'm really hoping any surgery can wait another year, because I probably need to move somewhere that my dog won't have to negotiate any stairs. sigh... thanks again.

cell
April 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Luckily with LP it is fairly slowly progressing, if he is only low grade then you have time, and still might never need surgery. Many people with small dogs never get it because it never causes them too many problems. If the luxation get worst then it might be best since you are dealing with a larger heavier dog. Luckily it is not something like ACL which you needs surgery essentially right away.
Have any of your vets mentioned using joint supplements to reduce damage to the cartilage from the dislocations?
I would also wait till your dog is at least 2 if he is not grade 3-4 or in pain, because he still has some growing to do.