Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

'Breeder' got overwelmed - Ontario

BenMax
April 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Well here it is. Luckily for these little ones, a new beginning in the near future.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/123710--33-chihuahuas-rescued-from-oakville-home

Chris21711
April 10th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I read that in the newspaper BenMax....happens to a lot of them, then someone else is left to pick up the pieces :frustrated::yell:

Shaykeija
April 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I cannot believe they left 8 behind. :( Money grabbing piece of crap should go to jail.....

Chris21711
April 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I cannot believe they left 8 behind. :( Money grabbing piece of crap should go to jail.....

The woman ended up signing the dogs over rather than follow through on the orders that would be written, but if she agreed to comply with the orders for the remaining 8 then they would have no reason to remove them.....They will check-up that the orders were complied with in the designated time given.

Shaykeija
April 10th, 2011, 07:33 PM
BLETCH breeders like that make me see red

Goldfields
April 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Poor little dogs. Chi's just adore their owners usually and to just lock them away in that filth and treat them like a commodity, not a pet, disgraceful! Pity the owners couldn't be subjected to the same treatment.

Tundra_Queen
April 10th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Oh those poor babies. Makes me :cry:

chico2
April 11th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Well,they are right here at"my" HS,hubby said let's get one,but that's not going to happen:frustrated:
Without a doubt,those pups will be adopted in no time at all.

I hope the HS,made the woman speuter the ones who remained with her,or it will just start all over again,IMO she should have been left with no dogs.

BenMax
April 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I hope the HS,made the woman speuter the ones who remained with her,or it will just start all over again,IMO she should have been left with no dogs.

The 'deal' usually made with these 'people' is to avoid a lengthy investigation, court, seizure, space, time and money. It also ensures that there will be no further proceedings or delays in regards to the final outcome for the dogs.
It is so darn hard to ensure a conviction..and for this reason they will make this 'arrangement'.
Hopefully the dogs will be spayed and neutered but I highly doubt it.

Chris21711
April 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM
The remaining dogs won't be S/N...it's not illegal to breed dogs as long as their living conditions and any medical needs are met..

Love4himies
April 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM
The remaining dogs won't be S/N...it's not illegal to breed dogs as long as their living conditions and any medical needs are met..

So then the cycle continues :yell: :frustrated: :mad:.

Chris21711
April 11th, 2011, 12:02 PM
So then the cycle continues :yell: :frustrated: :mad:.

Yup :yell:

BenMax
April 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Yup :yell:

Probably...but she will be monitored more than likely..:rolleyes:

luckypenny
April 11th, 2011, 12:06 PM
What I don't understand is why the "breeder" isn't made to pay for the dogs' care instead of $ from donations? I get why cases like this more often than not don't go to court but, why can't the owners be fined? Like a speeding ticket? It doesn't make sense that others should pay for her stupidity and greed :shrug:.

14+kitties
April 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Well,they are right here at"my" HS,hubby said let's get one,but that's not going to happen:frustrated:

I'd hold him to that chico. :evil::evil:

I've got nothin'. Idiots will be allowed to breed. Will even profess to be an "ethical" breeder. And people will buy. And buy. How long before they are overwhelmed again? How many will die before it is stopped? :wall::wall:

Yep....... I LOVE breeders!!! :yuck:

BenMax
What I don't understand is why the "breeder" isn't made to pay for the dogs' care instead of $ from donations? I get why cases like this more often than not don't go to court but, why can't the owners be fined? Like a speeding ticket? It doesn't make sense that others should pay for her stupidity and greed :shrug:.

Flippen EXACTLY LP. These people do not give a hoot unless it hits their pocket book. Why the general public has to pitch in for this idiots 'overwhelmed' situation is beyond me.

Chris21711
She surrendered the dogs over to the Humane Society, maybe she did have to pay a surrender fee, there was no mention of it but it is possible...In the article it said that charges may be laid.

luckypenny
April 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Surrendered or not, I still think owners should be responsible for, at the very least, medical expenses, food, and shelter until pets are succesfully re-homed :shrug:. Shelters/pounds can take these folk to small claims court for reimbusement and avoid the hassle of hiring lawyers,etc.

Love4himies
April 11th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'd hold him to that chico. :evil::evil:

hahaha, yeah, chico

I've got nothin'. Idiots will be allowed to breed. Will even profess to be an "ethical" breeder. And people will buy. And buy. How long before they are overwhelmed again? How many will die before it is stopped? :wall::wall:

Yep....... I LOVE breeders!!! :yuck:

I second that :thumbs up

The only compassionate thing to do is to adopt a pet, not buy.

This person will be over breeding again, no doubt in my mind.

Masha
April 11th, 2011, 01:30 PM
This would be great because they should be helf accountable but i am worried that if they were to start gtting fined, we would see more cases of people just dumping animals on streets/highways/boxes and even worse..... These people care about money more than about the animals or they would most likely. Ot be in this predicament to beging with... Very sad...

mummummum
April 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Sadly, there will always be those who know better and do not care. It's up to the rest of us to keep them in check. That requires action ~ the "put-up or shut-up" kind.

No one wants a Nanny state but it's time to demand better laws against puppy mills/ aka so-called "hobby breeders". First and foremost, we need to remove the concept that "animals are property" from our law books. We need to incorporate animal cruelty into the criminal code. We need to ensure that the proposed changes to de-funding animal advocates is not passed as fed bill. We need to find SOME way to regulate, inspect and control ALL breeding ~ companion animal or otherwise.

Our planet is dying from the weight of our irresponsibility.

Loki Love
April 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM
No one wants a Nanny state but it's time to demand better laws against puppy mills/ aka so-called "hobby breeders". First and foremost, we need to remove the concept that "animals are property" from our law books. We need to incorporate animal cruelty into the criminal code. We need to ensure that the proposed changes to de-funding animal advocates is not passed as fed bill. We need to find SOME way to regulate, inspect and control ALL breeding ~ companion animal or otherwise.

Our planet is dying from the weight of our irresponsibility.

I respectfully disagree that we need more laws for regulating breeding. Once you try to control ALL breeding - you start to punish those who are doing it responsibily (and yes, I respect there are some of you who think all breeding should come to an end - I am not of that same opinion). Sadly, you aren't going to stop the hobby breeders, or the ones that this post is about. My opinion is that you can't fix breeders, but you can sure as heck try and educate the general population and buyers. It's all about supply and demand. If there is no demand and no money to be made - puppy mills will shut down, hobby breeders will go away.

If we can't enforce the laws we have now - how on earth are we going to enforce even more? To me - education is key.